GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Daily commute.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DxFdrXSBCIs?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

just to entertain myself, I included a little Ministry and 90s style editing.
  2. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Another gopro mount that I want...lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-VBKUMNcmWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    The ripples occur when the hertz of the engine vibrations approach a multiple of the frame rate (29.97 fps for standard NTSC, for example).

It&#8217;s a similar principle to the reason LED lights flicker on camera when they are at reduced intensivity via pulse-width modulation (turning on and off rapidly to simulate dimming, such as tail lamps compared to brake lamps).
  4. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Always hopeful, yet discontent

Oddometer:
    Without trying to read nearly 3,000 posts.... any thoughts on the Hero3 White? They are $199 right now. I only need a simple and easy GoPro for routine video and basic editing. Playback will be on a regular TV or web. I need nothing fancy and I'm thinking the $199 Hero3 White is a good deal.

Thoughts?
  5. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Save your money and get the New Hero lowest model (attached to waterproof case) for $129. It'll do superview in 720, something the white 3 won't. The only thing is that it has a built in battery which kinda sucks if you're gonna do any long rides.

If you're handy, you could hardwire it to your battery and run a cord from your helmet down to a harness to the bikes battery. It no different than wearing heated gear.

6. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Always hopeful, yet discontent

Oddometer:

Thanks. I've heard bad things about the built-in battery and it also doesn't allow for a remote. The no remote is a deal breaker fo rme. Thanks again for the comments.
  7. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:

Go for it. That's what I'm still using for my videos. I'm enjoying making 60fps vids now that YouTube supports it.
  8. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Youtube does 60fps now. Nice. I did not know that.

9. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Yep. Works really well for stuff on the dirt bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMld0jFuEN8

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zMld0jFuEN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have a Gopro die of unnatural causes? My Hero 2 decided to just fry itself. I never abused it or anything and one day it stopped working. I bought a new battery and nothing changed...still dead. Called gopro and they told me to press a series of button combinations.....when I did the camera blinked the front LED a couple of times.....Gopro then confirmed it was dead . I have no clue why it died and they did not elaborate on why...They offered me 20% off of a new one....I would love to have the 3 black or 4....but can they guarantee it is not gonna fry itself! :dunno
  11. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. What a snot fest. Track looks funs though. I see some 60 fps in my future.

12. tmgs

tmgs ...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer:
    N. E. Georgia, Space Coast FL.(sometimes)

we bought a hero black a year ago and really do not use it at all, its just again to try and upload videos they are so big, and when I try to use a smaller resolution the video is horrible

heck I dont even know where my hero 3 + black edition is right now :(
  13. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Try using the GoPro editing software to create a short clip to try. Edit it up and then upload to YouTube. Short clips are better than long and low quality IMO.
  14. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    It's the same route I went.
    I got the Hero3 White through Amazon. A buddy had given me an Original Hero (which actually seems to work fairly well), with lots of accessories (for helmet, suction cup, etc.) but I wanted something with better video quality and the WiFi feature for the GoPro app.
    The app is a nice touch. I won't use it a lot, I suspect, but it's a good way to frame things since the less expensive GoPros don't feature any kind of screen preview. The menu isn't the world's most intuitive but it works. I've done a couple of quick vids just for testing purposes and am very impressed.
    I also downloaded the GoPro Studio program and really like it. Hey, I'm not a videographer or film maker. I just want something that shoots nice video on the fly on the bike, some decent still pics here and there and the ability to edit the vids so they don't show five minutes of me staring at the lens, trying to figure out if the thing is on. :lol3
    To me, it's all about memories; making and keeping them. Everything else is icing on the cake.
  15. Zanotti

Zanotti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a Hero4 Silver for Christmas. Still figuring the whole thing out, but some cool photos from a chest mount on time time lapse mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The snow/sleet/rain here in Philly is slowing me down!

Z
  16. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I got my Hero 3, I opted for the Black because of the better low light performance, compared to the white(?) and silver(?). I figured, even if I only shoot 720p/30, better low light performance will make, for example, rides through shaded foresty areas look better. Just something to consider when you're shopping....
  17. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    anyone tried the new hero hd with no wifi, for half the price?
  18. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a Caribbean cruise and I took my GoPro Hero3 White Edition with me about everywhere. Very impressed with both video quality (I shot in 1080p/30) and battery life. Can't wait for spring to get here so I can shoot some motorcycle stuff. :clap
  19. CraigBKK

CraigBKK I ride to both find and forget myself...

Oddometer:
    Yes I have one along with a few other models. For the relatively cheap price I thought it's worth a try.

For basic use it's a great choice. I mostly use it for low shots attached to the rear of the bike, both video and time-lapse stills like the attached pic. Highlights are blown but it was a bright day. I wouldn't want to use my Hero 4 in that position in case I came off and damaged it.

[​IMG]