Gore / Gore -Tex mid layer

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sonny S., Jan 20, 2020.

1. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking to invest in a breathable, lightly insulated wind blocking mid layer. Not so much concerned about waterproof. My need is for something under my mesh jacket, mostly for mornings that start out chilly but will heat up. I definitely want it packable also.
    I'm thinking Gore with a light fleece liner. Preferably full zip.

Recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Klim makes a nice pull over that I believe is Gore
  3. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just edited my post to include full zip lol. I know a pull over blocks wind better but I hate getting too hot and not having an easy remedy while on the fly.
  4. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
  5. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Sonny S. likes this.
  6. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same idea and looking to buy this pullover when they have stock:

http://www.rukka.com/motorsport/products/#!product/wisa

http://www.rukka.com/motorsport/products/#!product/wisa-pants
    Sonny S. likes this.
  7. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Windstopper Jersey. Not really insulated, but great at blocking wind. I wear one or two thin technical layers underneath mine, depending upon the temperature.
    KingOfFleece and Sonny S. like this.
  8. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Patagonia Adze soft shell jacket to add a windproof warm layer under my Held Tropic II, Makes it usable in cold dry weather. Used it down to approaching freezing temperatures.
    I also have a windproof cycling top that I take on summer holidays where I may need a warmer layer in the mornings before the sun gets up to start warming things up.
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I might end up with something like that but I'm hoping to find something packable. In the winter I'm good. Carhartt extreme Arctic coat, heated jacket liner and Merino base layer. I'm on a DR650 without a windshield so keeping the wind from coming through is important. I don't want or like windshields on the DR for the most part .
    Really need something small to keep in the tail bag for those ... darn it got cold quick moments. Or like I say, if I know it will get hot and I don't want to eat up space with a bigger jacket once it's removed. Especially on a DS trip where I'm trying to pack light
    People like those nano puff down jackets but I don't think that's what I'm after.
    I'm probably over thinking this but if I'm dropping $100+ on a layer I'd like to get it right the first time . Gear adds up !!
    That Klim Zephyr or the Aerostich look good. The Klim being zip up gets it points.
    Klim doesn't say what the material is. Just a RevZilla review saying.. it's not Gore-Tex for $100
  10. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I'll give you my ideas based on wearing mesh gear and perforated leather gear,
    But it's mostly dry here, so it's only from the perspective of keeping warm on cool to cold winter mornings.

I've had good luck with a thin windbreaker, from the bicycling or running,
    I don't get too hung up on gore-tex for this since it sends the price skyward.
    I also don't need too much insulation as long as the wind is blocked,
    For short trips a windbreaker works great. If I wear it over the mesh then the mesh sort of works as insulation.
    Going outside of motorcycling gear, means you can find stuff for a fraction of the cost.
    I got my last one at Target or one of the big box sporting good stores, it was under $20. I think I cut the hood off that one, or it didn't come with one.

If I'm touring, or going to be out for more than just the morning or the weather looks really unstable, then I lean toward Gore-tex gear like my Darien and suffer when it's super hot out.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah a little reading has me seeing that even Gore Windstopper is a better choice than Gore-Tex for my needs. It's more breathable and offers as good wind blocking. I see Gore brand offers some full zip shirts also. That could be nice. Very packable
    squish likes this.
  12. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I know that the fleece version eventually loose some of their windblocking qualities, but I've had great luck using them as in insulation layer
    both under mesh, perf as well as normal leather and textile gear.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  13. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good option that can be had at a decent price is a softshell jacket. They stop the wind, usually have a nice fleece type insulating lining, and typically will repel a light drizzle. You can get them from outdoor shops like REI, "tactical" outfits like 5.11, or even just off of Amazon. I used a North Face softshelll as a mid-layer for years.

Someone mentioned the Klim Inferno. I have one of these and it is a great mid-layer for warmth when paired with a jacket that is already stopping the wind. I wouldn't recommend it for use with a mesh jacket though because it is just not going to do a good job of blocking the wind.

A typical Gore-Tex rain type shell will stop the wind and it will obviously stop water, but what it will not stop is the thermal transfer of a cold wind to your body. Even my Gore-Tex Klim Badlands will have me freezing my butt off in a cold wind or cold rain if I don't have an insulating mid-layer under it.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  14. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    levain likes this.
  15. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s a thread I started three years ago asking a similar question.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/windproof-fleece-alternative.1114453/

I was trying to replace an old windproof fleece and found the options slim. I ended up with a Patagonia nanopuff jacket. I used it extensively on the bike, including almost daily wear on a 14+ month trip, as well as a lot of wear as a daily jacket off the bike.

Just last week I “retired” it from regular use and replaced it with ... the same jacket in a different color found on clearance for $100.

I found it to work great under my mesh jacket (which is my primary riding jacket almost all year) and absolutely got my money’s worth. It packs up into one of the hand pockets and is roughly softball size when packed (though more a fat envelope shape).
    motokeith, Suncoaster and Sonny S. like this.
  16. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never worn it while riding, but I love my Nanopuff, too. Often use it under a shell for hiking, camping, and just daily wear. I know some other fans, too. It's a classic bit of gear.
  17. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use an REI Revelcloud II puff type jacket as a mid-layer with my Klim Badlands Pro. When on the dirt bike I wear compression body armor and jersey rather than a traditional jacket, so I combine the puff with a Klim Forecast Gore-Tex shell for some flexible rain/cold protection.
  18. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I live in Denver , ride a KTM 350 I mostly wear full mesh, klim induction jacket and Mojave pant.

Putting the wind block layer UNDER the mesh is a poor solution IMHO.

I use the Marmot Precip, jacket and pants OVER my Klim as needed.

Precip jacket has pit zips, for venting, a great stashable hood for off bike, pants are available with full side zips for easy on/off.

Jacket and pants unlined coated plastic waterproof/breathable packs SMALL AND LIGHT and cost effective, I would not cry if damaged in a off

Having the shell on the outside turns your mesh jacket and pads into a insulation layer....with the shell on, I seldom I need to add my lightweight Merino wool zipT shirt under.

Works for me

Scott
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Wear a Goretex or other material jack shell over your mesh jacket. On and off easy

Sierra trading Post for deals
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warm n Safe waterproof heated liner. Folks think heated jackets are only for... heat. Not me. It's my first layer from 65 down. Usually, turn it on low around 55. Waterproof jacket over top and I'm good from 20's up to as hot as I'd ever want to ride. If it's raining from 55 or so up, I don't use the thin outer rain layer.
    JR356 likes this.