Got a cool watch? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Jungle Jim, Jan 22, 2007.

1. SPEIRMOOR

SPEIRMOOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dlrides likes this.
  2. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I have two/three problems that I need help with.
    1st: my 2 oldest kids are starting to tell time and they love watches. They will be 9 and 7. My wife wants to get them watches for their birthdays. The issue is this: I don't want to buy them a couple of crap watches that will stop working and discourage them. I also don't want to spend a ton either. The older kid is pretty responsible, the other, not so much. I want something durable and waterproof, obviously. The problem is, their wrists ate friggin tiny! I was thinking g-shocks, however I don't think they would fit. Since they are just starting out, the watch can't be too busy either, so no chrono please.

2nd dilemma. I want to buy my wife and I matching watches for our anniversary. It isn't for awhile, I'm just starting the leg work now. She really isn't a watch person. I am buying myself this.
    m79250ba-0002.png
    And I want something for her. Her mom has a bunch of Tudors and some of them are so tiny I don't know how you actually tell the time. Looking for something kinda casual dress. Something to wear everyday. It has to be waterproof aswell. I don't want something too busy either. Looked at Tudor, omega and Rolex. Nothing really striking my fancy. I just want something simple and nice.

So please help me.
  3. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Just finished my time zone watch class 1. Torn down and assembled 2 sellita sw210 movements and cased them. Really happy with they came out. Learned a few new things from the Chrono build I did. Unfortunately this case is much smaller on my wrist than I prefer. But what yah gonna do. :dunno Lot more projects and other stuff in the works with this though. :ricky
    IMG_20190930_200108.jpg
  4. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    How about the Tudor black bay in the 36mm (many women are wearing larger watches these days).

Ticks all your boxes, and would nicely complement your desired Tudor too...
  5. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check it out. From the pic it's not bad though. it's hard for me to shop for a women's watch because for the most part, I like larger watches. I look at a lot of women's watches and I just don't see them as functional, more of an accessory I guess.
  6. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    1) Good luck, I have no idea ............

2) A: Pair of Rolex Explorers. 36mm can still be found in like new condition for her, 39mm for yourself. They will create memories the tease of your life, and then for your children.

B: Pair of smooth bezel stick dial Datejust, 36mm for her, 41mm for you. Again for a life time.

BTW, according to the children’s age, and guessing wife’s age, go 36mm for her. 36-40mm is the new norm for ladies.

NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  7. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:

Fantastic !

:clap
    andrewgore likes this.
  8. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the Baby G Shock line? That’s what we got our daughters around those ages.
    airheadPete and KLRTucson like this.
  9. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about Cartier Tank

https://www.bucherer.com/uk/en/prod...ategories=watches&sort=relevance#activePage=0
  10. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    I just got one of these for my 12 year old daughter. She LOVES it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075LG1WZ6

Yeah, it's super cheap by our standards, but it's 1000x better than one from a happy meal or themed to their favorite toy or cartoon character. Even the cheapest Casios will outlast cockroaches and Twinkies.

Casio Baby-G watches are awesome, but even those are huge on a kid. And if your kids are boys, there's no way they're going to wear a watch that says "Baby" on it.
    Jman45 likes this.
  11. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Forgot to say they are boys lol.
    I was leaning toward a baby g because it is both analog and digital. However, I think they will be too big. Might go look at them anyways. I will just have to talk to them about the baby thing...lol
  12. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
  13. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm. Perfect size for a woman and some great dial colors. Should be able to get one for under $5k. My girlfriend wore this one for a few years.

https://josephvman.smugmug.com/Watch-Stuff/Oyster-Perpetual-36/i-mVbGTjF

nomiles, Shaggie and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  14. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    I bought my wife one of these, Citizen, she *LOVES* it.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Silhouette-Crystal-EW1908-59A/dp/B00KCF89H4
  15. Jman45

Jman45 Slingin' apps

Oddometer:
    My kids stole my Lorus, they love the full lume dial. My 3 y.o. calls it "the glower" and wears it often on a green perlon. 100m water resistance, 38mm case.

https://us.rubiconwatches.com/watches/lorus/lorus-lumibrite-military-watch-rj655ax9-new

rxf41ax7_dial_face_close_1_1.jpg
    YakSpout likes this.
  16. twizzler

twizzler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's funny how the "never ride your motorcycle with a mechanical watch!!!" mantra is basically the same as the "never shower with your mechanical watch!!" mantra. Both rather benign activities that draw lots of passion on either side.
  17. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    nfranco, scottcolbath and YakSpout like this.
  18. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the only water issue be related to what the case can handle? Only time I've had a timing issue with a mechanical watch was wearing one while skating. I slammed hard, snapped the springbar from impact, and the watch went flying. It jumped a bit of time. Amusingly, it kept a more consistent time after that. :lol3

Fixed my 7750 stem last night. Feels good to be able to wear this again. Also the legit swiss springbars make a huge difference in feel.
    upload_2019-10-1_12-36-7.png
    YakSpout likes this.
  19. twizzler

twizzler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those against showering with a watch will have you believe the sudden changes in temperature are "not good" for the rubber gaskets. Or, they will suggest that the "high water pressure" from the shower head aimed at the watch will overcome the rubber gaskets. Still others will suggest that the constant exposure to soap "scum" will corrode or destroy the watch over many years.

When it comes right down to it, in my view it's safer to leave your mechanical watch on when you shower since it reduces the risk of it falling off on a hard tile floor if you remove it from your wrist everyday like that. On the other hand, most people just prefer to shower without a watch because it's just easier to clean without it getting in the way. I suspect that is the real reason people don't shower with a watch and none of that other BS. Note that this is all assuming the watch in question is on a bracelet or other waterproof strap and is at least 50m.

Riding a motorcycle and wearing a watch is probably overall a more nuanced issue. If you ride offroad super hard and are crashing hard, probably best to take G shock along. But riding to work? Touring? Totally fine.
    k7 likes this.
  20. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with you here--I wear my watches all the time whether showering or riding or cycling or shooting or whatever. The only time I take my watch off is when I am rock climbing (rare these days) or working on the car/bike. The only time I have broken a crystal is when I dropped it on a tile floor in the kitchen when I was changing the straps.