Got a cool watch? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Jungle Jim, Jan 22, 2007.

1. redsport

redsport Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1582746446568.jpg
    Sporting the shark today.
    ZZ-R Rider, stbob, kuchibashi and 2 others like this.
  2. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
  3. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I guess that’s the difference between one that costs $40 versus a grand. I used the Bergeon one and it really is a tight device. No slop whatsoever beyond the shake in my hands.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  4. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Weeeeell, after you've been so generous with our birfday presents, how can we not return the flavor?? :lol3

Would Porch-ah topless clunker fit the bill? Or mebbe Daytona Rollie?? They cost the same, more or less, so take yer pick... :D
    k7 likes this.
  5. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:
    When talking punches and staking tools, Moseley is the way to go. Gratuitous Vulcain shot attached.

IMG_20200226_192700731.jpg
    Ray916MN, nomiles, NJ Moto and 2 others like this.
  6. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    duc likes this.
  7. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Here we go. I'm on the road, so I can't find a picture of my own kit, but Moseley tools are pure awesome. Of course, modern Bergeon is cool too. But Bergeon isn't named after my ancestor. And I also just like having cool old tools on my shelf. They bring me happiness.

[​IMG]
  8. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Got_Carbs? likes this.
  9. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:

Mess with me and I mess with...... @Codewheeney. :lol3

JC, need any Zenith inspiration?

10. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Hoopy Frood Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, man, that was pretty cool. Really hoping this year is the year.
  11. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    I love that video. I've been interested in watches since I was a child. I remember writing that I wanted to be a watchmaker in a school assignment in third grade. Specifically, I wrote that I wanted to be an astronaut or a biomedical engineer, and if that didn't work out, a watchmaker. My teacher laughed because my backup plan was horrible. According to her, it was the 80s, and nobody wore mechanical watches anymore.

In college, I realized pretty quickly that while I liked building things, being an engineer was something different, and perhaps I wasn't the best builder in the world. I'm more of a fixer. I dropped out of engineering school and joined the Army. The Army said I would be better suited as an electrical engineer, and I ended up playing with space toys for the military. I love satellites and earth terminals, but even that got boring after a while. So off to Special Operations I went.

Watches never left me though. These tiny machines were something that consumed my soul. Just watching a second hand glide around a dial was soothing. Somewhere in Afghanistan I started doing some genealogy. I found out I was related to a watchmaker with several patents and tools to his name. I bought one of his movements. It was broken...and so I set out to fix it. Suddenly, this obsession made sense. Scientists may not attribute skills to DNA, but I have an inexplicably long line of men who designed watches, engines, electric motors, and even HVAC systems in my lineage. Perhaps this really is in my blood.

When I watch videos like the Zenith video above, I get emotional. I'll fall asleep watching Titanic, but I get emotional seeing people putting their soul into making something tangible...something with movement and a soul. It speaks to me, as it probably does many of you.

I just spent two hours on the phone with a fellow MBA candidate. He's shopping for his first watch, and he's catching the bug. He's realizing that watches are so much more than something that just goes on your wrist. He called to ask questions and get some guidance. The conversation was literally two hours of questions, answers, and education. I loved every minute of it. At the end of the call, he asked me why I didn't do this for a living. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a goal, but I'm too close to a pension to walk away now.

But it really got me thinking, if I could do anything, what would it be? I'd bring watchmaking back to the USA. When I see what Weiss, RGM, and Dan Spitz are doing, I get excited. Hell, I get Scarlett Johansson laying naked in my bed excited. But I want to take that to the next level. I want to see an American company competing in the market with AP, PP and VC. Some think I might be crazy, but I think it can happen with the right strategist at the helm. God willing, I'll get a chance to be that strategist someday.
  12. Codewheeney

Oddometer:
    OK, aside from the TMI about Scarlett, let me know when I can put a deposit down with whatever you come up with.

I understand your sentiment. I get emotional about things like this, too. Generally, humans doing anything extraordinarily human gets me in the feels.
  13. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    You're not the only one who has had thoughts about being a watchmaker....

“The release of atomic power has changed everything except our way of thinking ... the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker. (1945)”
    ― Albert Einstein
    ZzyzyxRd likes this.
  14. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please tell me the company logo will be a donkey and will be on the watch. And then add me to the list of initial buyers.
  15. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Six months ago, I would never have thought a Panerai would be my favored watch to wear ! Really like this thing ..............

97F476C9-C273-4699-9008-B50736AE36B0.jpeg
  16. Lord Explorer

Lord Explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adjustments.jpg
    First time wearing this. Got it in a trade and wasn’t sure how I felt about it
  17. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    @scottcolbath will be along shortly !

He’s got a twitch for an Air King.
  18. Codewheeney

Oddometer:
    What's the verdict?
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    That style of messin' works for me - not sure about CW... :jack

El Primero is a stunner for sure - I may not feel the luv towards that particular one w movement "window" at 9 o'c but one of the Stratos (w curved chrono pushers over cylindrical ones - in the background of the pic below) ones can find its way to my rh wrist... :-)

[​IMG]
    Ray916MN likes this.
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    As a logo, I'd suggest something alike older Marlboro posters except, obviously, w a donkee… :lol3

[​IMG]
    duc likes this.