Got a Garden?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RustyStuff, May 31, 2015.

1. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    On the other end of the garden, we have flowers. I have a virtually endless supply of 1 x 6 Cedar, and I've put up a food 25-30 feet of 6'+ tall trellis along a section of fencing, one side of a small shed, and a section of carport. Most years I plant annual Morning Glories and let them cover the trellis. This year, I bought a Cup And Saucer vine on a whim. he humming birds love it, so I'll get a couple more next spring.
    In front of that, we have a perennial wild flower garden with Columbine, Gladiola, Lupine, and a Dahlia here and there. We toss in some annual wildflower seeds just to fill in spaces.
    The bed next to the carport is filled with Gladiolas, Tigridia, Hardy Fuchsias, and a needs to be divided Bleeding Heart.
    My cat (Harvey, The R.V. Cat on facebook) has taken to finding and digging up Daffodil bulbs that have naturalized out in the field behind the RV park we call home base. (Weird freaking cat) so now I need to plant the two dozen bulbs he's found me.
    All of these flowers insure that we get plenty of pollinators for the vegetables...and I like flowers.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  2. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Just did a small garden this year as kind of a late afterthought. Next year I'll start everything early from seed in the house. Having pretty good luck putting down a big black tarp and making holes to plant. Keeps the weeds at bay a little. Good for me as someone with other interests in summer that lets the garden fend for itself sometimes. Two cucumber plants and one zucchini and I got bushels. crazy.One cucumber plant next year. Made some refrigerator pickles though that came out good. 20190906_083335.jpg
  3. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    We tried the ground cover tarp thing on a couple of semi permanent crops. Found it didn't work for us. We now use a no-dig approach.

Hot compost everything = sterile compost. Cover the beds = no weed seeds + none of the soil bank seeds turned up to germinate.
    We do get the odd blown in weed, and tomato seeds are remarkably persistant (but easy to hoe). Result almost no time spent weeding.

We find our crops very productive for our conditions and easy to manage. Any short comings tend to be our lack of husbandry skills or planting judgement, not the no-dig method.
    rick danger likes this.
  4. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have mentioned that you can use other things than compost. The Ruth Stout method of using dense straw or hay as a ground cover has worked well for some.
    The Back to Eden method using wood chips is another variant, but with caveats - the chips can be nitrogen depleting and Paul Gautschi mentions this, but in passing, and it tends to be passed over when other people talk about it. He always applies lots of nitrogen rich chicken poo first.
  5. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    My parents use straw/hay in Western PA and it works very well for them.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  6. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked a bunch of cherry tomatoes and some basil today. Been getting batches like this about once a week for the last 2 months.

[​IMG]
    mike, Maggot12, rick danger and 3 others like this.
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went out and picked about 10lbs of cherry tomatoes, a really full tray. Another tray of the Marmande beefsteak. We can expect blight at any time now - or a frost - so we just pick everything that is ripe, or will ripen indoors. Making lots of tomato sauce, ratatouille and roast tomato soup. Everything out of the garden.
    A whole tray of lemon cucumbers, and the same of outdoor cucs.
    Half a tray of runner beans and a quarter tray of french beans.
    Took a trug full round to our neighbour.
  8. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    You know what you need as the third ingredient with those two dont you?! Fresh mozzarella! Drizzled with extra virgin olive oil!....sorry for shouting. :rofl
    nickguzzi likes this.
  9. MiniBike

MiniBike Casual Observer

Oddometer:
    The raccoons ate most of my corn this year and then, weeks later came back to trample through my green peppers and tomatoes. The only things they never touched were the pole beans and scallions. So our small garden has now been transformed into . . . a hummingbird and butterfly garden (and doing quite nicely at that).

We're away from home quite a bit (usually about 5 days each), so container plantings have never worked for me, but watching these videos of Leon and his self-watering buckets makes me want to give it another go next year. I haven't found any large buckets like he shows in his video, but Lowe's has their 5 gal. buckets for slightly over $3.00 each. Some spray can decorating and I may even be able to turn that Lowe's blue into something more appealing for the back deck. I may even try converting my plastic pond into a self watering cornfield!
    nickguzzi likes this.
  10. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Orchids just blooming!
    20190908_115713.jpg 20190908_115745.jpg
    mike, rick danger and nickguzzi like this.
  11. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    Cabbages are close and the cauliflower superb!
    20190908_115842.jpg 20190908_115801.jpg
    mike, rick danger and nickguzzi like this.
  12. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful cauli!
    sidetrack one likes this.
  13. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And some Balsamic vinegar with some salt and pepper. Way ahead of you. The basil and 2/3 of the tomatoes are already gone.
    nickguzzi and rick danger like this.
  14. miguelitro

miguelitro I like the ads, in fact, give me more ads.

Oddometer:
    IMG_0184.jpg The seasonal veggies are growing in as they should.
    panhead_dan, nickguzzi and ArcticaMT6 like this.
  15. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    Now That is how you properly Weed a garden....
    Pansy and miguelitro like this.
  16. miguelitro

Oddometer:
    I'm giving this a try as it's now legal to do so. I am a big fan of growing just about everything so I figured why not add it to my summer crop.

I'll be picking your brain about a small pond here soon by the way.

Mike
    Da Bear likes this.
  17. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    I do installs, just the cost of the flight and feed me....
    Pick away, I'm always willing to help!
  18. miguelitro

Oddometer:
    San Diego is nice in the fall...and the rest of the year. Hmmm :)
  19. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    Carrots have an issue!:D
    20190908_154034.jpg
    Maggot12 and mike like this.
  20. Da Bear

Oddometer:
    While Dad was head of security for Montgomery Wards, he lived down there. I used to go visit for the summer, and or the holidays. It's San Diego, there's A season....
    On the other hand, just off the coast there's a reef that is home to the only other breeding grounds for Dragon Eels that I've been diving on, the other being on the north shore of Kauai...