Got a Garden?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RustyStuff, May 31, 2015.

1. wescat

wescat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I savvy. Melons, tomatoes and sweet corn are my favorite things from the garden.

I've been putting up some tomatoes.

Needs Work.jpg
    Canning.jpg
    Da Bear, MotoBoss, goosecreek and 2 others like this.
  2. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally starting to warm up here. Summer normally starts July 5th as they say, but it took an extra week this year. Now it's a waiting game until we start getting tomatoes. Looking at upper 70's and low 80's for the foreseeable forecast finally.

My daughter has successfully snatched just about every single raspberry & Blackberry as I pick them so I haven't had more than a few.
    Da Bear likes this.
  3. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our damp, dull and chilly "summer" continues.
    Anything requiring sun or warmth is lagging far behind.
    3 weeks past the solstice and still our raspberries refuse to ripen.
    It is cold enough at night that the tomatoes have stopped growing. There is fruit formed from earlier in the year, but nowhere near ripe - or even pickable.
  4. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd kill for some higs in the low 80s. It's been 90+ for almost a month straight.
    MotoBoss likes this.
  5. SlowernOlder

SlowernOlder Misfit

Oddometer:
    Raised beds, cukes, 5 kinds of tomatoes , eggplant, 4 kinds of peppers, basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, zucchini, Bush beans and carrots.

586DC32C-24B4-47A9-AD54-241859B04BB9.jpeg
    Slipkid, TNWillie, doc4216 and 3 others like this.
  6. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my tomato plants has exploded with fruit. I think pretty soon I'm gonna be overwhelmed.

[​IMG]
  7. yeroc40

yeroc40 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have been trimming up those tomato plants a long time ago.
    IMG_1628 (1).JPG
  8. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our Garfdener's Ecstasy tomatoes are just starting to ripen. The beefsteaksare well formed and pretty large, but resolutely green.
    They were doing so well, then the cold wet june happened, and they stopped. I trimmed off all the badly set fruit and unfertilised flowers from then. Lots of new healthy and vigourous looking flowers now.
    Cucs are producing very well. Starting to hassle the neighbours. The other cucurbits are looking fine. We shall have to cull some of the butternut flowers, too many coming to ripen in our short season. The petipans are a bit slow - I think the mole has damaged some of the root system. Courgettes a bit slow, but producing plenty for two of us. Melons in the green house has lots of flowers. Will we have enough heat and light to swell and ripen?
    Done a couple of pickings of runner beans, which we eat for lunch today, just pepper and knob of butter. Delicious.
    I have to remember to have a look under the mesh covers at the brassicas. Weeds hide under there and they are hard to make out. Groudsel, teasels and thistle mostly. Other wise all looking heatlthy.
    The broccoli will need picking soon, then make way for some more pointy spring cabbage to go with the early sown variety that will be ready in autumn.
    Another slow to produce crop is the perpetual strawberries. They are usually doing well by now, but all we have are lots of flowers and tiny berries that don't swell.
    Aubergines in the green house have set plenty of fruit, but the trial ones outside have lots of flowers - an experiment - we shall see.
    Peppers have flowers too. Not much in the way of fruit yet.

Thinking lots about what to sow/plant late summer/early autumn for late continuation/cropping and over wintering.
    Spring onions/scallions sow now, will over winter and make good sized bulbs by late spring. Not keepers, but cook or eat well.
    Spinach, also over winters well for us. Well surviving, then leaps in to rapid action as soon as some warmth arrives, ready to be made into all those Indian sagg dishes that I love.
    The usual suspects, the brassicas. Two types of hearting winter cabbage, a wrinkly savoy type and January King. Brussels of course. A couple of different kales. Plus leeks, swede, celeriac and carrot can all be all be harvested in the depths of winter. Lasting through to early spring if not used. Then in the freezer.
    Garlic and shallots happily over winter, while celery in its sheltered spot will survive and provide one of the essential three for our mirpoix/scroffito.
  9. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tomatoes are starting to really come in first round of beans are done and the squash is doing very well.
    15961466864626335649205407572740.jpg
    I am starting to think about what I will plant this fall.
    nickguzzi, Watercat, doc4216 and 2 others like this.
  10. main_cogg

main_cogg Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1596383759875-268136781.jpg
    We did a pre-storm picking today, figured if we got the 6" rain and the 50- 60 mph winds they're forcasting we'd lose alot of it. We've been getting ~ 5-7 pounds of tomatoes most days for the last couple of weeks, I'm guessing this is around 50 lbs. We'll have lots of salsa and pasta sauce this winter.
  11. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dull June put the mockers on our tomatoes, although they are starting to come in now.
    Despite being crowded at the shady edge of the garden, our courgettes are producing more than we can eat. As usual, we have two varieties, a plae green and a yellow. No idea of the names, but they are not soem super raret heritage.
    I have a nice quick recipe to use up any surplus. We find it delicious.

Open a tin of cooked beans, Rinse and drain. Canellini, butter, etc. I expect I'll try with chickpeas sometime. We normally have the no salt varieties.
    With the beans in a bowl, add a gentle glug of olive oil, season well, add a couple of cloves of finely sliced garlic. And a stalks worth of finely chopped mint. A squeeze of half a lemon. Leave this to fester while you do the rest of the work.
    Slice the courgettes about 3/8th thick.
    Finely slice a few more garlic cloves, aim for more rather than less.
    Finely chop another stalks worth of mint.
    Finely chop a shallot or small onion. I guess spring/scallions/green onions would work.
    Have some red wine/apple cidre vinegar to hand. About a good glug or two tbls.
    Walnuts. As many as you like. Probably fresh hazelnnuts too.
    Hot skillet or wok, add courgettes to heated olive oil. Cook, tossing the while, until you have most of them golden or darker. I prefer mine pretty dark. It may be easier to do it in two batches. Have the pan on high. That way you get colour without soggyness.
    Remove courgettes to the bean bowl.
    Retain as much oil in the pan as possible as it forms the basis of the dressing.
    Heat the shallots and garlic until the garlic is golden. Add the vinegar and swirl around - this is when using the wok pays off. Keep on the heat for a while, say 30sec, to meld the oil, garlic and vinegar.
    Pour the dressing over the beans and courgettes.
    You can dry roast the walnuts if you like, or just drop them on top once the beans etc are plated.
    So you have a mix of the hot courgettes and cool beans, well dressed with enough brightness from the vinegar and sufficient bite from the garlic. Crunch from the walnuts and a top note of mint sprinkles.

1 lb tin of beans and a matching quantity of courgettes makes enough for us for a nice supper. Add some decent fresh bread and it could stretch to a starter for 4. And of course it multiplies.
    Is equally nice stone old, or even out the fridge the next day.

As from this week we are going to have enough raspberries to keep the street happy and red tongued. For a good while it will be our after supper desert. Real ice cream and fresh raspberries.
  12. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been eating corn a few days a week as they ripen. The 2nd planting didn't do much, most are 2-4' tall. Not 6-7' like the first. So not expecting much there. The 3rd planting has taken off like a rocket in the last week as our temps have been over 105 degree's F every day and I've been pouring on the water to keep everything alive when there's enough in my irrigation ditch to run the pump.
    More zucchinis and squash than I can eat. Tomato's are finally starting to really do something. Got a pumkin plant that has gone crazy. nearing 20' wide from the tip of one vine to the furthest other one. Have about 12 little golf ball sized fruit on it now and it's blooming every day.
  13. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    First time growing tomatillo.
    15964013295802622552866142743612.jpg
    They are fun to watch grow.
    ArcticaMT6, Da Bear and Dave MP like this.
  14. Dave MP

Dave MP Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got tomatillos growing in the greenhouse, first time growing them. Hoping the tomatoes catch up. Peppers are going crazy right now.
    Salsa is in the future!
    goosecreek likes this.
  15. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    My problem is the jalapeno peppers are behind just starting to bloom. I have been getting tomatoes for 2 weeks.
    Buzztail and Dave MP like this.
  16. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
    Everything is right on schedule. We did our first mini harvest today, and are having a Cashew Chicken salad for dinner. All of the salad ingredients came from the garden. We're doing our first batch of Salsa later this week. Would have started on it tomorrow, but my cat, Harvey (@thervcat on FB) has to make an emergency trip to the vet for kidney stones tomorrow. I'll figure out a way to cover the bill somehow. Harvey has been a great help out there. We go on late night walks and he's caught a couple of rats, and chases off the wild bunnies.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  17. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunflowers are just about topping out, I thinks. Heads are forming now.

[​IMG]

Peas/Beans are filling in nicely.

[​IMG]

Continuing to get loads of tomatoes forming, but only had 3 cherries ripen so far.

[​IMG]

And luckily cukes are on the way as well.

[​IMG]

My daughter stole all the raspberries today, as per usual.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  18. wescat

wescat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been working on fall sets. Tomato, cucumber, squash, pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi.

Fall Sets.jpg
    goosecreek and nickguzzi like this.
  19. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks like it will keep you busy. And then you have to find the time to eat it all too.

I just picked our first two pattypan squash. Roasted with shallot and herbs tomorrow.
    Beetroot for lunch with some excellent blue cheese and fresh homemade bread.
    Curried French beans tonight.
  20. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: