Got a GPS on your F800GS Let's See it

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by f800guy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    RAM-B-367U. comes with several bolts, 1 works to replace the handlebar mount bolt on our F800's
    [​IMG]

Around $10.00
  2. ADV-Rob

ADV-Rob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After posting this, I emailed the parts desk at South Sound BMW with the same question. Here is what I was told;

"...The GPS hoop is definately only for the GSA as it also supports the windscreen. The hoop is too tall to fit with the OEM GS windscreen, and at the wrong angle to fit with the Touratech extended windscreen. It may be the correct angle for other brands, but I don't have enough experience with them to know. We should be getting parts in for the GSA by the end of the summer, so keep in touch and when they come in, we'll test fit them on a '13 GS for you. Maybe you'll be able to fit it, if you run the extended GSA windscreen. I doubt those holes changed locations on this model so this is what I'm hoping for. I'm looking to do the same modification on mine so I can see my tach again over everything. I'll let you know when those parts arrive, or if I hear anything else in the mean time."

If in fact this is the case, it would be an expensive farkle. In the mean time I'm going to see about fabricating a look alike and see where it gets me...
  3. 70East

70East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So does the regular one. But I do love that bar.
  4. Spektrum84

Spektrum84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a used Garmin 60CSx![​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
  5. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
  6. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Is that puppy snug in there or can you see it wiggling it's way out somehow? Looking at getting a Montana... or Oregon, or what ever state they are calling them now-a-days.
  7. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    It's solid IMHO. There's a locking screw on the top of the cradle (you can see the tool on the keyring with clear plastic tubing around it). I also have a small laynard attached to the mount as a backup although it's not visible. It's a Montana 600. You can replace the OEM locking screw with an aftermarket one which is probably easier to use but less security if leaving the unit on at quick stops.
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Lots of people have rolled and tumbled their bikes with the Montana in the Rugged Mount and I have not heard of even one gps falling out.

But the Oregon doesn't have that good a mount.
  9. Calgary06

Calgary06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Montana in the rugged mount has never even hinted at coming loose. My bike has a bad habit of violently tipping over whenever it sees a long rut or deep mud hole and so far the extra lanyard has not been needed.
  10. tim-atl

tim-atl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Nuvi 2597 and mounted it right behind my shield.

1. It stays dry in rain
    2. Its very close to my line of sight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the few that have mounted a 378/478 to the Mirage fairing: how did you overcome the clearance issues with the antenna, just shim the mount out off the fairing by 1/2" or ??
    Doesn't look really promising with the TT flat or Garmin mounts...
  12. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really got off my wallet for this one. I think I have almost ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS invested here. Saving up for Jessies, don't you know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a cheap car NUVI. No fancy "ram" mount needed here. Simple "ball" on a bicycle type handle bar mount. You can see how clean and un-cluttered it is from the side. I just plug in the cigarette lighter plug to a pony tail. Rain protection? My pocket. Or a zip lock freezer bag.
    Lyle
  13. tim-atl

tim-atl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that 100 CDN or US? :rofl

I thought about that bicycle mount as well but in the end I wanted my gps in a different place and put my phone on the handlebar. The only regrets I have in using a car gps is that the bluetooth integration doesn't work the way I want it to. The gps steals the phone calls from my helmet if you know what I mean. To answer "then why connect" - my garmin has a spot like feature where my wife can track me (gives her peace of mind).
  14. rightspy

rightspy Crazy Dingo

Oddometer:
    RAM mount, short arm on the F8's Touring Windscreen bar. This is on an F7GS

[​IMG]

Clean install w/GPS in my sight line and out of the weather.
  15. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    THAT is the install I've been waiting for the last year to see. Can you upload some more detailed pics of the mount please. That is the thing I was planning on doing by buying the aluminium bar from BMW to fit it to my TT screen.
  16. Heos racer

Heos racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Simple bycicle mount. Operates since 4 years .
    Greetings Thomas
    [​IMG]
  17. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I had that same mount before. I think the 60CSx was the best Garmin ever made. It's very versatile and so far 4 or 5 years for me as well
  18. rightspy

rightspy Crazy Dingo

Oddometer:
    It's nothing special. RAM cradle for your device, a RAM short 3in arm and the RAM u-bolt. The only thing you have to watch out for is the space between the bar and your particular windshield. It just barely fit on my Touring Windshield.
  19. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got my Garmin Zumo 660 in the middle with the BMW mount, Oregon 550 with topo maps at the left and my inReach SE (for when I'm out of cell phone coverage) on the right. All working like a charm.

[​IMG]
  20. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks more like something one would see at Cape Canavaral.