Got my new Micatech’s!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rideLD, Dec 15, 2005.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No heat issues with my setup. The bag doesn't even get slightly warm from the exhaust.. but I have a Remus can. How about you Karl?
  2. NJ_Bob

NJ_Bob Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correct.

On my way home from Lima in July, I rode down Rt 9 in Arkansas.

[​IMG]

Probably rivals Deal's gap for turns per mile, and is much longer. I went as fast as I felt I could go and I really tried to make the bags hit, and I could not.

I was flip-flopping my fully loaded GS like Nicky Hayden flips his Honda.
    [​IMG]
    He does it at 150+ mph though.

Here's some of the same area on my GPS map at scale:

[​IMG]
  3. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    It is not an issue with my stock exhaust, the case stays pretty cool. I did not want to be surprised on a long trip so I did some testing. I have a fairly hi-tech thermometer with probes and a memory log that I put in the left bag and attached probes in various places in the wall against the exhuast. On a 50 degree day I rode 200 miles at 80 mph without stopping. The hottest the bag got inside was 83F. So I figure on a 100 degree day it will max out somewhere around 130F which is well below the melting point of any fabric and safe for most any electronics. The 130F number is just a guess but it is probably on the high side because the exhaust gas stays the same temp regardless of the outside air temp. Keep in mind that the only place that it got up to 83F was directly against the inside of the case. In the middle of the case inside a bag stuffed with some clothes the max temp was 66F. For comparison the system cases maxed out at 97F against the inside wall on a 50 degree day. So the Micatechs are actually slighly cooler than the system cases. I put 22,000 miles on the system cases and never had any heat damage in the left bag. I am 99% confident that there will be no issues on the hottest day of the year. :D
  4. GB

Oddometer:
    That's pretty precise testing Karl! :clap You should report your findings to Bob at Micatech. He actually did a lot of testing on the exhaust tunnel and did change the shape of the tunnel to allow for better airflow and no heat issues. It was one of his primary concerns.
  5. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys It loks as If I will be ordering a set soon. No heat issues, excellent build quality, More room than I will ever need, What else can I ask for??
  6. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have feedback re: whether there is any issue with a passenger, in particular a very short passenger (my SO is 4'11"). My concern is that, without knowing specifically how they made them larger, is that they could interfere with a passengers legs at the knees while on the pillin pegs.
  7. araspitfire

araspitfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I get mine back from it's 1000km check, I'll try to remember to measure from the back of the passenger seat, to the edge of the front of my Micatechs for you...

I didn't notice that it was too short when I sat back there while mounting them, but I wasn't thinking quite so dimunitive as your SO...

Al...
  8. GB

Oddometer:

I had my son sit there and he's about 5' tall and there were no issues with his legs going around the panniers.. but Al will give you the measurements. Btw, inspired by Al's pics, I've ordered mine all silver!
  9. rideLD

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it will help but my wife is 5'5" and she claims to have more leg clearance with the Micatechs than she had with the system cases because of the way they angle down.
  10. araspitfire

Oddometer:
    Ok.

The passenger seat on my R1200GS is 30 cm (11.8 in) long. (but the outside edges curve forward (as does the back), so my measurements are done using the middle)

The front edge of my Micatechs are 40 cm (15.75 in) ahead of the rear edge of the seat.

While on the center stand, If I hold my tapemeasure like a plumbbob, I see that the front edge of the Micatechs is about an inch aft of the back edge of the passenger footpeg. (the angle makes for plenty of room at the foot point though)

Hope this helps. (WTG on buying the All Silver GB)

Al...
  11. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    Do you leave your stock exhaust ( on machine) w/o much storage penalty?
  12. araspitfire

Oddometer:
    I have stock exhaust (actually it's a laser settup, but fits like stock).

The cuttout in the LH bag is pretty big, but there is a lot of room in them anyways. Seems like lots more than in the BMW expandibles anyways... (not sure if they are bigger, never checked the specs)

Al...
  13. ghostryder

Oddometer:
    Just curious, anyone in the Atlanta area, or going to Hot Springs have a set? I want to get a set but I have a hard time ordering something that I have not seen in person. Thanks
  14. rideLD

Oddometer:
    Yep, the exhaust indent on the left case fits the stock exhaust with no heat problems and very little storage lost. See pictures at the beginning of this thread to see how much space is lost.
  15. DirtRideRoader

DirtRideRoader Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the original Micatech bags on my '01 GS. I hated having to take the case off to access the under seat stuff. I found if you use one of the spare keys that came with you bike, at least on the 1150's, it fits into the lock even with the bag on.

Don't tell anyone, but I just leave the spare key in there, with a tie wrap tethering it off to the frame.
  16. rideLD

Oddometer:
    Works fine on the 1200 also. Unless you knew what you were looking for you would never even see the black plastic key in the key hole. :D
  17. raysuf

raysuf Lost

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't in person, but the more pics on here the better right.

I went camping this weekend and I was able to load more then I was expecting.

Here are some Pics I took after installing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. ghostryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ray, I guess ill just have to pull the trigger on a set and hope for he best. I have heard NOTHING bad about them so far. So off to the phone I go. Thanks guys.
  19. DaveDragon

DaveDragon Bwana

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set in the Clear Coat they offer.
    Can't wait to have some storage.
  20. GB

Oddometer:
    You're going to have more storage than you can fill!! Well, you can never have too much storage!

I've been using the Helen 2 Wheels inner bags with my Micatechs, but as soon as Dutch at Motorrad Concepts in the UK is ready with his inner bags, I'll be getting a set. I *think* Bob and Sue at Micatech will be carrying these liners too.. have a look here how well they fit, and you still have small spots that you can slip in a camera or other small doodads:

http://www.motorradconcepts.com/micatechgallery.htm#micatechinnerbags

I haven't seen clear coated Micatech cases yet, so be sure to post some pics! :thumb