Got my new Micatech’s!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rideLD, Dec 15, 2005.

1. raysuf

raysuf Lost

Oddometer:
    They seemed puzzled. Like I mentioned above. They have gotten called about loose mounting hardware denting the box from the inside during shipping, but they package that stuff better now. Never heard/seen a busted weld.
  2. GSWayne

GSWayne Old Guy nOOb Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just in case I am not the only person dumb enough to do this, the W bracket has a top and bottom. It must be installed right side up (with the heads of the button head cap screws on the mounting bullets up) or you will get very frustrated wondering why the cases are very hard, but not impossible, to mount. The worst part of this mistake is that I did not detect it until the end of the assembly proceedure, and you have to take everything all apart to turn the bracket over. The other thing I noticed is that you need to firmly torque the little locking lever on the mounting screws inside the cases or they will loosen up from vibration. However, neither of this nits detract from their excellent design, and I can't wait to fill them this Friday for a 2 week trip.
  3. nickatnite

nickatnite Poster Boy for Red Death

Oddometer:
    Lousy-ana, learing kung pow streetfighting.
    What did you wind up doing with your factory set of bags?
  4. raysuf

raysuf Lost

Oddometer:
    I got my replacement case this evening. I moved all the mounting hardware to the new case and it slipped on easier then the other case.

The previous case always need incouragement to slip onto the bullet mounts. the one mount was getting a rub mark from the friction. Also the passenager footpeg brace never set in the bracket properly. I tried my best multiple time to get everything lined up and the best I could do always left things a little off. Well the new bag fits perfectly. I'm thinking some of the metal was cut wrong and forced together to make the weld. That caused to mounting hardware on the case not to match the Mounts on the bike. This caused a poor fit and stress on the weld the broke.

It really doesn't matter now. Everything fits perfect now.
  5. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Sold them to a fellow ADVrider. He is very happy with them.:D
  6. DaveDragon

DaveDragon Bwana

Oddometer:
    This is great news!
    Glad they took care of the problem in a timely manor.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing you have to keep in mind about the Micatech mounting system is that EVERY part is adjustable. Even the bullets on the mounting frame are adjustable, so if anything is binding, loosen the mounts and try again. The mounting blocks on the case are adjustable and so is the front pillion peg bracket.

I have some good news of my own. I was in Vermont over the weekend and had told Bob I'd be there for the weekend. Bob and Sue rode / drove from their location in NH to deliver a set of all silver cases to me! Apparently, Bob will find any excuse to go for a ride in Vermont, even on a freezing cold rainy weekend. Now that's service :thumb Fit and finish is top notch and I simply love :rabia the latch / lock system. It's brilliant.

I took some pics but... I'm having technical difficulties ... USB 1 on my PC, and USB 2 on my camera... I'll get it sorted and post a couple of pics.

DaveDragon, please post pics of your Micatech cases on your GS ADV. :deal
  8. DaveDragon

DaveDragon Bwana

Oddometer:
    Will do as soon as I receive them, 3 weeks out now!
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    For those who PM'd me, here you go:

[​IMG]
  10. GB

Oddometer:
  11. GB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm pleased with the whole setup.. upper and lower fairing (coutesy of the ADV tank), and my fabulous Micatech cases. :thumb

(yes, the micatech cases are installed on the bike, but are hard to see from the front)
  12. araspitfire

araspitfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Purty! :freaky

Al...
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks Al! I was inspired by your all silver cases! :beer
  14. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Looks great GB:clap
    How do you like the new latches. Pretty dang simple huh?:D
  15. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Dang GB, that bike has come a long way since the last photo I saw... what a beast!! The silver looks real good, I dig. :nod :thumb
  16. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got word that they are supposed to ship this week....:clap :clap
    Cant wait to get them. Ill be sure to post pics of mounting them and the finished product.
  17. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    Looks just like the Adventure now!
  18. GB

Oddometer:

I'm SO glad to be rid of the 2 lock system! I didn't mind it when I had them, but it was actually the main thing that I had told Bob at Micatech I'd like to see changed. It was easy for me to say I want to be able to latch the door without having to use a key every time.. The credit goes to Bob who told me he went through dozens of lock designs until he found something that will work with these cases.

The nice thing about the whole design of the case is that every single mount (except the door hinge) is adjustable to ensure a proper fit: From the bullets to the mounting blocks on the cases. Even the latch can be tightened or loosened if you feel you need a tigther seal on the weather stripping.

Bottom line: I found the perfect cases for me. :thumb
  19. GB

Oddometer:

Thanks Erik! I hope to be getting the Micatech top case when it becomes available.. although I absolutely love the Givi top case. Maybe I should paint it silver to match the rest of the luggage. :wink:
  20. johnboy

johnboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GB,

Looks like you are running Dunlop tires, do you like them. I got terrible mileage from the rear Dunlop, managed over 13,000 miles on the front before removing it because of some pretty bad cupping. The rear was very bald at 7300 miles when i took it off in the middle of a trip because i wasn't sure i wanted to ride it the 1200 miles home. The Rear tourance now has 6,000 miles on it and looks great. I kept the front tire since i changed it myself, and may take some pics of it. Tread depth was still acceptable but the cupping was pronounced.