1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Got my new Micatech’s!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rideLD, Dec 15, 2005.

1. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I guess with that logic all cases are too wide. The micatechs are only 2 inches wider than the Jesses, and I don't think 2 inches would make that big of a difference. IMO, the GS is not a single track dirt bike but does very well on technical double track. If you are just riding the single track for fun, then take the bags off. I can't really think of any place on the globe where there is not a double track alternative to a single track trail to get to any given place.
  2. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:

I don't want to debate the fact that the Micatechs are too wide for real adventure riding. I accepted that when I decided on these over other designs that are narrower but had other things I didn't like. I paid my $ and I have a great bag, just not perfect for adventure riding.

Are you sure that Jesse's are only 2" narrower? My buddies GS1200 has them and they are less than 34" wide. If your Micatechs are less than 36" wide, I will be on the phone to Bob and ask for the narrower Micatechs like you purchased.

Bottom line is Micatechs are great, but their width is a problem for some riders. We bought them, like them, but we shouldn't have a problem talking to others about our personal findings on a product.

My GS is not without it's problems, but I like it overall very much for my needs.

Rick
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Karl meant 2" per side. Micatech cases are 38" wide, Jesse's are 34", so your cases are 2" wider per side, which in the overall scheme of riding where you ride, it wouldn't make any difference. They also don't sit as low as the jesse's, so you won't drag them in the twisties, plus there's no heat issue with the muffler side, no turn signals to relocate and no muffler to move, and no rusting mounting brackets. Plus they hold more.

All other generic saddle bags such as Givi, Hepco Becker etc. are designed to go on all bikes, with only the mounts being bike specific, so they will all sit out past the muffler, sticking out 4 to 6" past the handlebars.
  4. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Ok, Karl might have ment 4" but he said 2". If a rider is looking at this site for info on a purchase, it seems to me we should tell it like it is, and not paint any product with mis-information to defend our personal purchases.

Anyway, my buddy Jim with the Jesse's likes to rib me about the back of my bike lookes wider than his momma's ass, and I like to remind him his Jesse's are always full of water at the end of a ride in the rain. He's a great rider and friend, but he looks kinda silly having to wear wet clothes when we go for a beer after the ride.

Rick
  5. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I meant each bag is 2 inches wider. So 4" total. I know that can make a difference because I race enduros and hare scrambles on my CRF250x and I trimmed the my bars down 1.5" on both sides and on the tighter courses that I race on it makes a big difference. I would never dream of riding my GS on even the easiest course that I race on.:D
  6. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Nd did you install the bag yet?????
    CC..I am meeting with Marty for dinner tonight in town, you around? Want to check out the bags?
  7. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed ya.....Yes, I'd love to see the bags . I'm getting crushed with OT right now and its hard to get away....you ever ride near the airport for anything??? I work in Forest Park, just off Old Dixie/@285..... 404-304-7337
    Champ
  8. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not really, but I can make a trip...Its not too far. Are you going to be able to make it to Vortex Thursday night?
  9. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ghost, check your PM's, can't make Vortex due to work (sucks).........
  10. GMB

GMB Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Oddometer:
    Greetings, Bag-gurus.... Bagmen? Bagsters?

I had pretty much decided on a set of Jesse bags for my '04 GS1150, but after reading about the Micatechs (and Jesses) here and elsewhere, I've ordered a set of all-black Micatech Pilots to replace my stock GS bags. I saw both systems at the MOA in Vermont, but unfortunately didn't get a chance to speak to the MicaTech people in detail at their booth. I've been trading e-mail with Sue at MicaTech, however, and have had pleasant, speedy replies from her.

I'm making arrangements to head down from SW Ontario in late August to pick up the bags in person and install them right at MicaTech. Do any of you guys live anywhere close to Hillsboro, NH and have a spot where I could pitch my tent for one night? If not, I'll find a cheap motel, but I'd be pleased to meet any ADVrider who lives nearby. :freaky

Regards, Graham
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Had a real nice time chatting with Bob form MicaTech at the rally. Nice guy. And IIRC, that's when I met GadgetBoy, which was a pleasant surprise.

Chatted with All Jesse too. He had a new model of bags with him called "Safari" I think.

Anyhow, one thing about the Micatech design that I wonder about is (and someone please correct me if I am mistaken) the design does not allow for the bags to pop off their mounts if a sharp enough impact occurs. Am I right about this? I would rather have a bag pop off than bend my sub frame.
  12. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    KNOCKING ON WOOD

I have not and hope I never have the opportunity to try it. I think they would come off the bullet mounts if hit fairly hard; they are basically held on with set screws and the rear brace could pivot. :dunno

Rodney
  13. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    First you'll have to correct me if I'm wrong: Jesse's are also held on, in the end, but a pin (or the shaft of the cam, whatever you want to call it). The Micatech's are actually held on with a smaller pin - a set screw in fact. So if I'm not wrong, the diameter of what you'd have to shear off on the Mica's is much smaller than that of the Jesse's.

If you talked with Bob, you must have surely played with the demo bullet mount? But if you're asking the question you are, you probably didn't. The bullets are well hidden behind the bags, so its no immediately obvious.

Another thing you don't see is that the bullet mounting system in fact has a cross brace that goes underneath the subframe, strengthening it significantly.

I'm sure GadgetBoy will also chime in any second to the effect that he's crashed on them and they are very strong.
    :wave
  14. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    BTW, I just got my bags on Tuesday night and will be doing a full detailed photo shoot very soon.
    :thumb
  15. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    The Jesse's mounting bolts sit in a notch on the mount kind of like a U. The mounting bolt rubbers pinch the mount firmly, but the path up and out of the top of the U is unrestricted, so a blow to the bag hard enough will overcome the clamping force of the rubber and pop the bag up and off.

I like the side opening aspect of the Micatech bags a lot, and I did look at the bullet mounts; very clever design. I'm not saying that this is in any way a flaw in the Micatech bags, but as one who has not yet taken the plunge beyond OEM BMW bags, it is certainly a concern.
  16. GB

Oddometer:
    Bob,

The bags will be destroyed in a severe crash long before the rear subrame is bent. The Micatech mount on the 12GS actually reinforces the rear subframe. There are 2 short rails supporting the lower bullet running along side of the rear subframe, then there's an UPPER cross brace that's not immediately apparent unless you look up into the wheel well. There's also a lower cross brace that's removable when you remove the bags.

I can tell you I went down fairly hard doing about 20 or 25 mph, on the drive shaft side. There's evidence that the bike slid on the bags for a few feet. The right bag was scratched up, but there was no damage to it, or the mounting blocks or the bike's rear frame. I'm very satisfied with the design of the cases, the mounting blocks and how well they stood up in my crash.. Obviously, if I had crashed the bags into a tree or hit a wall, I don't know how the bags would fare, but then again, it'll be the last thing I'd be worrying about.

Bottom line: For campsite / parking lot tipovers, dumps and slow speed crashes the bags did well, which is a lot more than I can say about the BMW Vario bags. Anything more severe than this and I'd be concerned about how I would survive it! :D
  17. GB

Oddometer:
    Hi Erik :wave

:thumb

:lurk
  18. Clive

Clive n00b

Oddometer:
  19. araspitfire

araspitfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I was so lucky... I'll recount my Norway experience here...

I dropped my bike on the road for the first time at a road-works lineup... was shuffling it over in the lane to make room for the rest of my riding partners... Essentially a zero speed drop on the RH side, but as my camping gear and Givi maxia were mounted, the bike rolled over far enough to break my windshield, and cause me some grief by breaking my brake microswitch... Fixed it eventualy though. The bag had a scuff on the front lower corner, and seemed to be fine, as expected, other than that..

Later than evening though while having a closer look, I noticed that the front outer seam of my Micatech bag had opened up... the weld was (IMHO) ground too thin and didn't put up with the knock. The bag was still solid though and pulling/pushing on it didn't make the seam open up anymore or flex visibly...

Note these images were taken after the second off as recounted below...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To complicate matters, a few days later I washed out the front wheel on some Norwegian gravel at 20-30 km ish... I found myself completely upside down, the remnants of the windshield in shards, some awesome scratches on the very top of my Givi top-box...

On the Micatech Pilot case though, I added some scrapes to the RH corner scuff, but the seam didn't open up any further.... Damage was more considerable though.. My rear crossbrace did a little parallelogram routine, and bent.. absorbing a lot of the energy.. And the front and rear bullet points on the RH case moved into the case by about a cm... nice dents there that I hope will just bump out. The rear bullet point on the LH case actually moved away from the case.. not so bad a dent, just a bit of bulging there..

The consequences of this were that the RH case was able to make contact with my FD on the bigger bumps in the road... Once I realised that was happening, I flexed the passenger footpeg mount out and bent the rear brace straight, and the contact was fixed... took a couple seconds, but the case doesn't slide off so easily now... hopefully when I straighten everything up it'll slide on again easily...

I didn't take the time to wrap some duct tape on my split front seem, so it let some water into the RH case over the next few days of rain... the doors continued to work as new though...

Contact with Micatech didn't yield any attractive offers for fixing the seam (which I consider a manufacturing defect)... can't blame them though really... it was dropped harder the second time... and shipping to/from The Netherlands would be expensive...

So, I'll fix it myself.. loved using the bags for the trip to norway... Although they allowed me to put way too much weight on the bike, but kept my laptop nice and safe and locked up... They stayed on the bike all the time but once in a high security situation (docks in Oslo)... I moved a few items from them in and out in my Givi which acted as my suitcase...

Al...
  20. raysuf

raysuf Lost

Oddometer:
    I loaded up my bike for the MOA Rally. Tools, Rain Gear, and layers on exhaust side. Campstove, Coffee, Food and other camping stuff on the Right side. Tent, Sleeping bag, Cloths were in duffles cross the pillon seat and I weight 270lbs. Adjust preload and dampener and bike handled fine. Not sure how much is too much.

[​IMG]