Got new "street" wheels for the 950

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kirkmoon, Mar 10, 2004.

1. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh my God! Are those Dunlop 208s?
  2. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    I saw that bike at Wilson's before they sold it. It is a bit loud (they were pretty proud of it and rolled it outside and started it). Very nice.
  3. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teabagger, I wanted to ask you this when I read your comment about you cutting holes in the airbox. But now that you mentioned it again I will ask. You said you cut holes in the airbox lid. If you did actually cut holes in the top part of the air box that means your engine is inhaling unfiltered air. Well filtered by pantyhose I guess. Was I understanding you correctly ? I hope not.

Goss
  4. teabagger

teabagger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did that. More tights than pantyhose, and the top is under the seat with little clearance. If I was going offroad, I'd use a stock lid.
    T-Bagger
  5. teabagger

Oddometer:
    Here it is.
    Teabagger
  6. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Teabagger, am I reading this right?? Does your bike make more than 111 HP at the rear wheel on the dyno??... :huh

That's 15 to 20 HP more than a stock bike! That's nothing less than jawdropping. :eek2

I would LOVE to see a dyno-graph of your bike and know what has been done to the engine... :nod

BTW, last week I saw a newsletter from KTM to all dealers WW about 17" wheels. It said (shouted actually) to never EVER fit 17" wheels because there are no 17" tires available that are suited for tubes and can cope with the weight and speed of the 950. This can - and has - led to unexpected tire blow-outs. Next it said that there is a high risk on unpredictable speed wobbles under certain conditions. A 19-17" combo wasn't mentioned because these sizes don't have tire & geometry 'problem'. I think I wouldn't worry to much about it but I thought I'd mention it...
  7. kbasa

kbasa Being, human. Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Dammit, Kirk. Here I was all happy with my GS. I've said it before - you bastard. :D
  8. teabagger

Oddometer:
    I uploaded a few pics of the cans/sprocket/black Excels, but cannot find them in this thread (must be too large.) And I believe that Gary Georges at Wilson's in Fresno claims 111RWHP...That sounds high to me too, but after opening the airbox up, it runs like it's got around that...I'm used to potent acceleration w/ my Graves R-1, so that this bike gets my attention is a testiment to its wampum...That said I do have 3 more teeth on the back, but I also weigh 250 naked....so go figure....anyone know where my pics went?

The 950 will go back for another dyno run in a couple weeks to check jetting w/ more airflow, and install a hardwire for my Radar detector (this ride NEEDS one!)
    Teabagger

9. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the wheels Kirk, looks like Buchanan did a nice job! I finally got my rear 18 back from them and the wheel looks fantastic, btw the first estimate was an accident on they're part so it came out to be $527.00, oh' well at least I don't have to worry about the rear bending like the cheap Behr's. The Sun rim they used is super strong so theirs no worries there and by the time I'm up and about off this bum leg they should be set up for doing the 21".
  10. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm. Interesting. The only real possible problem I see is if the tube generates huge amounts of heat. The tires I am using are V rated, so I assume that they are capable of higher heat stress than the normal H rated versions. The H rated Tourances are also used without problem on the MUCH heavier GS and GS Adventures. Does anyone know how much additional heat is generated by using a tube? If this proves to be a problem, there is always the option of sealing the rims and going tubeless.
  11. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    Hi BJ. I thought that price was too good to be true! Too bad.

Hope your leg is doing OK. Heal fast!
  12. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find the source, but I recall reading somewhere that installing tubes in a tubless tire reduces the speed rating by about 15% or so. I am guessing this is because of the additional heat generated.
  13. katoom_950

katoom_950 Life, 2 short 4 traffic

Oddometer:
    From the horses mouth;

Not sure of the legal issues involved in the U.S.A. but on detention and inspection after an accident on the road the bike would not meet the homologation for road use....

Livo
  14. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fair bit of legal CYA going on. I can understand why KTM might want to do this, but I doubt that it is impossible to make a safe 17" wheel/tire combo for the 950 using existing hardware. Sounds like they simply haven't made the effort to do so.

Guess I get to be one of the guinea pigs. If V rated tires (rated for 149 mph) are run with tubes, and if the tubes lower the speed rating by roughly 15%, I am still looking at a speed rating of approximately 125+ mph. I don't think that I am going to be running anywhere near that speed.

On the Metzeler web site, they state that tubless tires with tubes installed should not be run faster than 239 km/h (143 mph). Reference is here. No mention is made of the speed rating of the tire being used.

In any event, thanks for the heads ups on this. Its nice to know what the limits are. Ignorance is not always bliss. If my tire blows, you all will be the first to hear about it. I'm not too worried.
  15. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up to the Bovine for a few weeks so I haven't had a chance to get caught up. When do you get it??? Can't wait to see it. Trade you another ride???
  16. kbasa

kbasa Being, human. Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think it'll be in in May sometime. The demo bikes at the dealers should be there on 4/13 with production bikes coming a few weeks after that.

You're on for the swap.

:thumb
  17. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    Still haven't had a chance to get in a good test ride of any length. Got a new 625SXC this past weekend and have been breaking it in. Have put another 25 miles or so on it since the last report.

So far, I can say for certain that the bike is MUCH more glued to the road, particularly the front end. Feels very solid. I am much more willing to carry speed into turns than I was before changing the wheels and tires. I think this is the biggest plus for this mod. The front end also tracks with much less twitchyness when there are irregularities in the road that parallel the track of the bike (grooves in the road, cracks, even gravel.)

I backed off the preload on the rear shock and this toned down the mild but definitely noticeable front end low speed instability, almost eliminating it, without having any obvious adverse effect on other handling characteristics. I had the rear preload set very high before backing it off, and I think that I am still above mid-range on this variable so I have more room to play with this going forward.

Impression so far is that this mod makes the bike a superior street bike. The real test will be when I get a chance to stress test it on some of my favorite super twisty back roads.

To be continued.
  18. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I wish you would hurry and ride that thing I have an idea going in my head that I may trade my Multistrada in on another 950 a black non S model to make into my road bike It seems silly to have two but this bike fits me so well that my Multistrada feels puny under me and I like my 950s with the more off road tires.I hate to wear them out just going around town and street riding. If you really like your wheels I may end up making a almost street only 950. The nice thing about your wheels is that If one does see a dirt road that he MUST check out he still can. If I do this a Rick Mayer seat would be a must also do you guys think I'm nuts?? :freaky
  19. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl No you are a very sane motorcycle addict that only cares about bombing on as many bikes as you can get away with just like the rest of us. Sorry there is no cure except massive tickets from the CHP - then it would all have to be done off road.
  20. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are obviously quite insane. Just like the rest of us.

A black street-oriented 950? What's not to like? Two 950's? It's certainly quicker than changing wheels. I despise all the "convenience features" on modern bikes, but this is something I could deal with.

I completely understand the "fit" deal. There is so much I don't like about the 950 (mostly the complexity--and the price) but I've never ridden anything that fit and felt like it, as if it were made for ME. The fit, the looks, the capability keep pullin' on me. And I don't even have the scratch for ONE. And you're thinkin' about two? Needless to say, I hate you, you damn insane person.