Got new "street" wheels for the 950

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kirkmoon, Mar 10, 2004.

1. worm~hole1

worm~hole1 I'm mentally mortarded.

Oddometer:
    The 950 would be more of a long-distance pavement oriented touring bike for me with the option to go off road a bit (tho not too too off-road for me...that's what my KLR650 is for)...I didn't know that there was a KTM dealer in my neck of the woods and they were so generous with the demo request...so I just came back from a 40 minute test ride of the 950 through some sweepers and moderately tight curves in the wine country of Temecula and the freeway...the 950 is more 'lively' and sporty than how I remember my last ride was on my buddy's Strom...it feels and rides way lighter than it looks...I'm picking the Strom up tonight and will ride it to another KTM dealer up in the hills of Ramona for a back-to-back tomorrow...this is getting interesting...need to test-ride the Caponord, 1200 GS, and Tiger if they're available for demos as well...my personal count-down to bite the bullet is two weeks... :eek1
  2. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Well if your going to be in Ramona run up to Pamo rd through the National forest and ride forest rd Nf12507 This road will give you a good test for the 950 I live in Escondido and your neck of the woods IS KTM COUNTRY your right smack dab in the middle of some of the best big dual sport bike riding country there is
  3. worm~hole1

worm~hole1 I'm mentally mortarded.

Oddometer:
    Rode the VStrom from my buddy's house to my house through some twisties at night...great headlights!...awesome power!...comfy seat!...decent wind protection...but my memory of the VStrom was correct: I feel more 'detached' on the VStrom than I do on the 950...the Vstrom's still in my garage...the eval continues....there's a nunch of dirt easement roads nearby through the private ranches that scoot up some wide single tracks and moderate hills... :evil
  4. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greg, do you mean Pauma road? I ride North Co. all the time (had the new 950 up Nate's Grade to Palomar last Sunday), not sure where NF12507 is?
  5. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    No Pamo rd is up in Ramona You access it by taking highway 78 to Ramona and just before you get to ramona you will find W Haverford rd which turns in to Pamo Rd and it take you down into the National forest. This is one of the most beautifull Valleys in this neck of the woods Once you get down on the flat the road turns to Gravel watch for a forestry road on the right its 5.54 miles from where Haverford turns left and becomes Pamo rd ( If you miss the turn off you will dead end into the infamous Wahita Ranch (spelling)) If the gates open go for it You will later come to a fork in the rd the left side only goes up 3 miles and then its closed but its worth the ride up especially if its a clear day then come back down and take the other road (Nf-12507) it will take you to Black Canyon road. Black canyon will take you up to Mesa grande rd turn left and you will find a really bitchen street section be carefull after the long straight as the rd turns 90 degrees. This will drop you out at the Hideaway bar ( Harley Hangout on weekends) turn left there and you will come by Lake Henshaw take the back way up to Mt Palomar and down Nate Harrison Grade after Harrison you know the way Home This is a nice loop that incompasses 65 miles from Escondido to the Bottom of Nate Harrison Rd If you want to take the ride plus a bit more after that meet me Sat Morning @8 Am here in Escondido and I will take you on the loop and then some anybody else is welcome too!!!!
  6. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    While we are back on this post Kirkmoon hows them wheels working have you had a chance to take her on any dirt roads yet I'm curious how it works on smooth dirt roads and especially if the frontend still tends to tuck in on slippery or soft sections I'm thinking the 19 might help stop the tendancy fro the front to tuck
  7. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Haven't had a chance to try the new wheels on dirt for any length of time. I have used the Karoos on the larger wheels for that. I'll let you know when I do.
  8. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Still waiting I'm thinking of getting a set of wheels like your to use to ride to laguna Seca then on to McCall Idaho for the BIG CAT my wife will be in her truck with my 18/21 to use for the ride then back on with the 17/19 but I'm really curious that if I see a neat road will it be no fun I had an Lc4 with both 17's and 18/21 and the 17's really wrecked the dirt part of a ride unless it was really flat and the steering was so much harder off road so I'm really curious on the 19" I think you should just take a day off and go test it for us :evil
  9. ryanb

ryanb Hail Satan

Oddometer:
    Hi all, new guy here.

The setup in this thread is more-or-less what I'm considering replacing both my streetbikes with (950 Adv with 17/19 wheels). I currently have an Aprilia Falco and an LC4 supermoto, and would like to replace them both with an Adventure 950.

How is the ground clearance on the standard 950 with the 19/17 combo? I'm a slightly agressive rider on the pavement, nothing squidly I just like to lean the bike over :)

-Ryan