Got rocks?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Frogger, May 14, 2002.

1. Frogger

Frogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Predicted high Monday in Boise was 81, so I was out the door by 10am on the GS. A few weeks back, I set out to ride to Owyhee Dam (Oregon) but ended up taking a wrong turn and ended up at another nice place called Succor Creek. This time, I was determined to make my way to the dam.

Paying close attention to the map, I made certain I took the road I wanted. I spent the next 1.5hrs learning on the fly how to ride the big GS down a rough dirt road and a very tricky (for me, at least) rocky "road" that I learned later hadn't been maintained for 30+ years. Nevertheless, I made it without dumping the bike even once (I was sweating like a pig trying to keep it upright, but never dumped it).

Enjoyed the nice weather and the nice scenery. As I made it down the steep road safely, I decided not to push my luck trying to ride back up out of it and, instead, took the twisty paved road back to civilization.

I'm more impressed with this bike each and every time I take it out!
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Very nice pics!

And good for you for taking your bike off road. I've only been on this forum for a couple days and I'm amazed at all of the "opinions" :huh about how the GS should not be taken off road. I've got lots of roads in mind that look similar to the ones in your pics!

Happy trails! :):
  3. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Frogger! [​IMG]
  4. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ridin area. Watch it in the rocks thou, I have multiple flat spots and dings in the front wheel. Also had two tourances suffer cord damage requiring replacement.Seldom do I decrease my air pressure below 30 psi anymore.
    Look for a crazing around the spoke heads on the outer edge of the rim to see if you have rim damage also. It is verry easy to do especially at lower pressures.
    Santa
  5. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Frogger, last summer I toured up to Idaho and Montana on my K1200Lt. My first stop was Silver City Idaho fromthe Jordan Valley side and then exited over New York Grade to get to Boise.
    70 miles of jeep trail on a fully loaded LT, hell that proves you can take a GS any where.
    Mongox:lol1 :lol2 :lol1
  6. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible Supporter

Oddometer:
    You obviously did the right things. Once you get your confidence up and just relax, you'll enjoy it a lot more. These bikes are actually pretty stable on roads like this, and after a while you can (almost) sit back and leisurely twiddle the bars as the bike picks its way through.
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:

If ya think it is bad here just go on the GS micapeak list. Ride your bike where ever ya want. I do.

Hey Frogger....great pics!!!!!:thumb
  8. Frogger

Frogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention Silver City as it's about to the top of my "To Do" list. Supposed to be another great weekend next week (my weekends consist of Sunday - Tuesday) and I do believe I'm gonna ride to Silver City, exit out the Oregon side to Jordan Valley and ride back around to Boise on the pavement. But who knows - a lot can happen between now and then.

9. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Frogger -
    From that country myself. Spent a lot of time rambling southwest Idaho and southwest Oregon. You be sure to zip up north through Hell's canyon, then back down through the Chief Joseph area before it gets too hot.

[off-road discussion moved to the <a href=http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3595>Off-road or Off-Pavement?</a> thread by the moderator]

Cheers,
    J'rilla
  10. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Frogger, The ride to silver will be a great ride on the GS. Wish I would have had mine at the time, I would of had a lot more fun then on the LT. The ride in from the Idaho side is an long uphill climb on a good Logging road. Lots of crossing it up on the uphill.
    In Silver city you can get a decent burger and cold beer at the Silver City Hotel. The ride from Silver to Jordan valley is a Jeep road (stand up and fly) for several miles and then turns into a good logging/service road once you pass the mine. Please give another of your ride reports when done. I may be back up there some time this summer. If so I will post it and maybe meet you up there. My fiance's family own several buildings in town so I have places to stay which by the way can be rented out for groups.
    Eric.:1drink :smoke
  11. Frogger

Frogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been to Hell's Canyon twice already this year and I'm sure I'll be going back a few more times this summer. I'm curious about the route you took to Chief Joseph - do you mean Joseph, Oregon? Like over near Enterprise? If so, how did you go about getting there? Did you cross the Snake at Oxbow and go back toward Halfway to pick up a dirt road back north? Or from Oxbow, did you stay on the Oregon side and ride the dirt road along the river north? I definitely wanna get over on that side of the canyon but I haven't found a decent map yet (although I haven't looked very hard, either - mostly just tinkered around with topozone.com). Would like to hear your experiences in the area.

12. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Frogger, Most excellent pics... thanks for sharing :thumb

greg
  13. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Frogger -
    Thanks for the topozone.com - cool site. It's been about 10 years since I passed through and who knows what's happened, what with all the Californian's moving up into Baker (Baker City, I suppose I'm supposed to say).

Here's what I recall off the top of my head - up through Weiser, into Midvale, Cambridge, slogging up the 95. Headed across 71. Skip over the river and up the Oregon side. Must been Brownlee by the look of it. Heard stories of the trail up over to Halfway, but didn't do it. Sorta wandered up the canyon for a day or so. Jumped out and went up to Asotin and back down 95 into Riggins. Went cruising some forest trails and ended up held hostage by what appeared to be wild mules near the top of Seven devils. They wouldn't move from the trail and, when I shut off the bike, they decided they just had to check me out. Ever smelt burnt mule whisker? (This is where I picked up the roadmule label for the GS) I accidently brought an end to the experience with a camera flash, which almost brought an end to the trip as one of the rougher looking characters kicked the shit outta my gas tank (a '92 GS brush frame wasn't designed with mules in mind). Wandered up into civilization in Lewiston/Clarkston, then came back down through Oregon - at the time I passed through, I swear most everything was posted Chief Joseph National Forest.

Went back and forth in the area - cruised Lapwai, Camas, Enterprise and etc.. I remember ending up in Baker 3 times on the trip. Somewhere, I found something just more than single track (Ok, I actually found a trampled part of the forestry fence and illegally rode virgin high desert forest east into the canyon - but I swear to god I was on the California coast weeks before the fire broke out) and you could literally ride yourself stupid looking 3 to 4 thousand feet down at the Snake.

When I last traveled, I was armed with only a highway map, a credit card, a 35mmSLR, and had 3 weeks to kill. No topo, no GPS, no digicam. The map didn't show about a 1/3 of the places I traveled, which is sorta the point of the GS, anyway. Blew around the area like dust for the better part of a week in just that tiny northeastern tip of Oregon. Had a ball.

You can't lose.

Cheers,
    J'rilla
  14. OUtback UFO

OUtback UFO GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer:
    Great picts.... now all you gotto do is slap on the side panniers load up with a full load.. makes it even more enjoy able... but like the picts..
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I was gonna repost that one too. Absolutely awesome and beautiful.