GPS alternatives, you know that phone in your pocket

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by uphoto, Dec 8, 2015.

1. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    I recently upgraded phones to a Galaxy Note 4 (chose the 4 over the 5 for the SD card memory), slipped a Samsung Pro+ 64gig micro SDXC card in the slot and purchased and downloaded Locus Map Pro and OsmAnd+ to give the cell phone GPS thing a shot. I blame ohgood for this, by the way. :D I'm currently using a Garmin 60Cx that I have no complaints about, but I'll give these a chance.
  2. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Do it the easy way like the poster above did.
    Get Both Osmand and Locus and maybe Here.
    Charge up your phone.
    Stick them on your bike mostly with a ram mount.
    Turn them on and go for a ride.
    Try them all out.
    Get some place you are not to familiar with and press a few buttons.
    Zoom in, Zoom out.
    Check out the POI, more POI (Point of intrest) can be
    downloaded.

The Route planning is a whole new thread. Yes you are right I love to sit around on winter nights and mess with routes.
    I will pick a place I want to go and then the fun begins.

Good Luck
    ohgood likes this.
  3. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:

If all you want is maps and tracks then the phone is a no brainer. Most newish phones have just as sensitive a gps chip as a dedicated gps unit. Locus or Osmand will do exactly what you want. Hardest thing about the phone is getting reliable power for the unit. It's not as drop dead simple as it is with a dedicated unit, but can be done easily with a 12v usb charger from Amazon.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK,

Update on the slow tablet performance on saving and using saved maps offline.....I've loaded a good portion of SE Oregon and N Nevada at the maximum zoom level into the Samsung TAB A with the new GO FAST 128 GB card. Downloading and uploading files is much, much faster using Backcountry Navigator - I've not had time to play with Gaiagps - this program also shows promise.

Thanks to to ohgood, worwig and EmmEff for recommending SD card as the problem.
    ohgood and EmmEff like this.
  5. milzispete

milzispete who did what where?

Oddometer:
    I would love to switch to using a phone but the sunlight readability is shite on them all. Agreed some are more shit than others but realistically there isn't a good one out there.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    well, that's surprising to read. i've seen quite a few phones and tablets that were as easy to read as a paper map, in direct sunlight.

maybe your sun is different than mine ? :-)
  7. milzispete

Oddometer:
    You might be right. The sun I am talking about is in Oman. It doesn't get much brighter. Samsungs, iphones, Nokia all useless for trying to read a map
  8. milzispete

Oddometer:
    The only thing that is borderline OK is the transflective screen on the gamin monterra that I use. Hence the desire to use a smartphone

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
  9. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    That has not been my experience. Only when the sun is directly behind me is the phone difficult to read.
  10. milzispete

Oddometer:
    The problem here is the sun is directly above you the majority of the time. It totally washes out the screen
  11. milzispete

Oddometer:
    Which phones are you guys finding useful in full direct sunlight? like when the sun is behind you shining on the screen :-)
  12. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Best phone for me so far is the Galaxy S4 active. I have compared it to the Galaxy S6, the Galaxy S4 and the LG v10 as well a Samsung Tab 8.4, 8"Tab 4 and an original Nexus 7.

Any time the screen has washed out an adjustment of the Ram mount usually fixes it.
  13. milzispete

Oddometer:
    I must admit I haven't tried the active version. I will have to ask around to see if anyone has one. Has anyone tried the rugged phones with gorilla glass iii ? They are advertised as sunlight readable but I would have to order online before I could get my hands on one

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
  14. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    I have an S4 Active and S6 Active. By themselves, they are crap in the sun. Once you put a matte anti-glare screen protector, they are great, IMO. The s6 active edges out the S4 Active because it's brighter and just a bit larger.

The waterproof micro-usb connector on the S6 Active is nice too... no flap to deal with. It was a real pain in the ass to replace the flap on my S4.

I've only had the S6 Active for a week, so we'll have to see if it's truly as durable as the S4 Active has been for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    S5 Active has been great for me. Its way brighter than the Montana it replaced.
  16. zamram

zamram Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received a Moto G gen 2 for Christmas to use as a stand alone GPS.
    I thought I read some where on this forum they had glove friendly touch screens but I found out they don't.
    What are you all doing to your gloves to make it work.
    ohgood likes this.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

IT's a crapshoot. Yesterday on cold single track, touch was spotty. Today on cold single track, touch was spot on every time. I spelled words and renamned waypoints without any errors. I think it's the humidity (or mud) since it varies from day to day more than from glvoe to glove.

There is a vendor on advrider selling a patch to make it much better, but I've lost hte thread now. If someone want's to give him a bump, go ahead. :)
  18. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I've been using a product called "Any Glove"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BWYX2MG/ref=pd_aw_fbt_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09FYRH86S8GM50PRX9EF

I've put it on 4 different pairs of gloves and had it work for me. Though not everyone has had the same success rate as me, so YMMV.

For me I found that applying several thin layers plus applying it by wearing one of the gloves putting a drop on my gloved thumb and rubbing it in to my fingers that way creating a large spot on both.

That said, I have an old nexus 7 2012 tablet that doesn't respond to the stuff nearly as well as my newer Samsung and LG devices.

Attached Files:

ohgood likes this.
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Dolly:
    Thanks for that tip!
    $20/bottle is not cheap, but if it works its worth it!
    Have you noticed if getting your gloves wet affects performance?
  20. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I have not used it in the rain or with wet gloves. But when my touch screens have gotten splashed from water crossings they tend to freak out a little until they dry.

I'll try it tonight. I'll get my gloves wet and report back.