GPS alternatives, you know that phone in your pocket

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by uphoto, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    This won't get you the latest and greatest goodness, but just keep your eye on eBay and buy a 2 year old top of the line phone. Most are more than powerful enough to run GPS apps very smoothly. And can be gotten for around $200.
  2. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea but the one on it is a monster! The old Kyocera batteries for the tourque were like $10 bucks .
    Albie likes this.
  3. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    There is really no need to switch anything.
    Get your new phone and just dont connect it
    or get your new phone and go with straight talk or somthing like that.
    If you dont need or want to use it as a phone....Done
    Download and install what ever you need via wifi.
    jogirob likes this.
  4. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    lol. Well, I just figure for my uses I would like to also have a data connection on mine. So, rather than pay for another line of service, I would just use mine. (Mainly to use Waze.) Of course, I also like to use offline mapping when I go to more remote places.
  5. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I've given up on wanting to latest and greatest. For my needs, I don't need a flagship phone.
  6. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    Didn't read the whole thread but I use my iphone (had a 4 and used it fine, now have 6 and haven't used it yet) for GPS using the free version of CoPilot app.

You can go in and set your road preferences (always avoid freeway, strongly avoid primary roads, favor secondary roads, etc) and when you tell it to take you from say Cincinnati, OH to Lexington, KY, you can select route options and it will plot 3 different paths for you to choose. It's easy, quick, and makes for good sight seeing travel. It's for the lazy tourer like me who doesn't have a specific route I care to take other than "backroads". At any point in the route you can choose route options and switch your route again.

It's a pretty good GPS app. It can be frustrating if you miss a turn (the one major drawback), if you don't end up back on the route it has plotted for you, you have to go in and re-route it yourself as it will not automatically do it for you.
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Android version of CoPilot works well as far as automatically rerouting you if you miss a turn. That is my main app for long distance trips. The only issue there is that if you have the trips set to 'avoid highways', that applies to the entire trip, not just a single section. So if you decide to make better time and get on the highway, CoPilot will try and try to get you back off. :1drink
  8. 283Shovels

283Shovels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    questions from the ignernt ----- :dunno

can you "disable" the routing when you hit the highway, since you made the choice and know where you're going, and then "enable" it again when you choose to avoid these "highways" ?

What do these programs consider a highway?
    There are many State highways in Texas, some are very nice 2 lane "back roads" in a way.
    A lot of times there's a big difference in a "highway" and an Interstate highway.
  9. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, that's strange cause my iphone version doesn't automatically reroute at all. I have to stop the bike, remove my glove, go into the program and tell it to do so. Can be frustrating when out and see a cool looking road and ramble a bit.

In my version (about 9 months old on iphone, the free version) you can do this but it requires you to stop, go into the program and change your preferences.

According to worwig above, his reroutes him automatically. That is ideal since when you get off the interstate it would pick back up on the backroads route.

I'm not very computer/phone/app savvy so perhaps I've done something wrong to mine to prevent it from automatically rerouting.

In what you're describing for TX, I'd only assume CoPilot would call a "highway" a primary road, and "Interstate/Freeway" is always going to be designated I-75, for example.

In any event, depending where I'm headed and if I have all day to play, I tell CoPilot to strongly avoid freeway, primary, and secondary... and I end up riding single lane backroads all day, sometimes doing 150 miles in 6 hours... finding dirt roads, gravel roads, etc. It's fun!
  10. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    So... resurrecting this old thread....

The recent versions of Google Maps for the iPhone and Android have an "off-line" feature that allows you to download map sections to your phone (storage space permitting) while on WiFi if you need to save your cellular data. This lets you navigate without cell service, and should save considerably on data consumption WHILE navigating.

Recently I found that in order to actually PLOT a new route on the phone either cell service or wifi seemed to be required, but I've updated my version of google maps since then so maybe that is resolved... not sure.

The Windows version of google maps now has a "send to phone" feature ... allowing custom route you plot out on your big-screen PC to be sent (with waypoints) to your phone.

I'm heading out on a weekend trip tomorrow and will be testing this, but maybe it's a good solution?

Has anybody else been messing around with these newer google map features?
  11. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:

Why bother? Download copilot or Here We Go and get better offline functionality.
    EastRoad likes this.
  12. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I could gather the main issue is that Google Maps only can download selectively "small" map areas.. so forget about pre-caching an entire country, even a country as small as switzerland.
    Then there's the part where the downloaded map segments will actually be invalidated after a certain number of days (don't know the exact number) - after which you need to "update" the are (re-download)....
    At least on the android version, google maps now supports multiple via-points (another long time missing feature).

from my own tests, google maps is good for in-city, short distance rides, or for rides where you have cell coverage.
    the issue is that search doesn't work well with offline maps... and re-routing, once you're off the pre-programmed path seems a tad problematic.
    haven't figured the last one out, as it's been a bit of an on-off thing.
  13. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    why bother with google maps? the only reason I do, is because it has one of the most up to date maps when it comes to complex city routes.
    also when you're "online" it's one of the best apps for searching stuff. doesn't rely on a mostly incomplete, outdated poi list, but rather on google search.

however I do agree: for off-line navigation, there are better options (here)
  14. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Sure, I use Google maps for navigation in my car all the time, but have no use for it on my bike when I head out into the country .

The whole download map areas with decreased functionality seems to be a poor substitute for using a better offline app.
  15. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks ...

Is there a compare-and-contrast thread for copilot vs. Here We Go vs. MotionX etc?
    I swear I searched ... I really did ... couldn't find it ... :(
  16. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:

Motion X I belive is an Apple app. I have only used Android, so can't be of any help as to how those apps stack up on iOS.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
  18. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
  19. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    nope,
    here we go, does indeed not support multi-point routes
  20. JRWooden