GPS alternatives, you know that phone in your pocket

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by uphoto, Dec 8, 2015.

1. rageabout

rageabout Say my name

Oddometer:
    Just installed the free version of CoPilot. Question: It also comes in an HD version for $14.99. Seems a small price to pay but was wondering if folks know if its worth buying?

Thanks

rage

edit: Been testing it today. Good so far but the maps could be better. Looks like audio turn-by-turn is a purchase. worth it to me.
  2. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends what you want/need. I used to use it but gave it up in favour of other apps as I got fed up with the difficulty of getting gpx files into it.
  3. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    You all probably know this, but just in case...
    Search up ItnConverter. It will convert .gpx to .trp CoPilot routes if needed. I also use it to build routes. I use OsmAnd(offline) and Here Wego.
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I create a route on my PC, use ITNConverter to convert it, save that in a cloud folder on my PC, cloud storage automatically syncs that to CoPilot on my phone. Done. Almost too easy.
    And if I edit them on the phone, they are synced back to the PC and I can look at the edits.
    Jeffk185 likes this.
  5. TO Scootz

TO Scootz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might want to check out MotoGoLoco, a UK motorbike friendly planner that will export routes in TRP format. I just used it to plan a route around Paris from Senlis (ibis hotel) to the Clermont-Ferrand area, where we will be vacationing. (by car, unfortunately) Otherwise Copilot insists that it route us via the Paris Peripherique, the worlds second largest parking lot, after the M25.:D
  6. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know there are alternatives, including for Mac users like me. However, there were also other factors and Copilot showed no interest at the time in resolving the issues ( a few years ago now and possibly things have changed) and I have just moved on. There are plenty of good navigation apps nowadays and they don't all refuse to accept gpx files...