GPS for Android-based Smartphones

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by GravelRider, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    the manual tells how to pick wpts and build a route but I get a "direct" route from wpt to wpt which does not follow the road. It does talk about importing files...
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    here is the normal way of picking pints on a road...

direct routing, fast and simple: http://youtu.be/O5qOQ0Wvldk

and waypoint routing:
    waypoint routing with locus: http://youtu.be/_gZ2cOD5GpM
  3. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    I did get Broute setup and got it working with Orux to make routes....
    need to understand BRoute better now....when I zoomed in on the world map and chose my area the squares have an 'X' but if you click on one of the lines forming the 'X', it goes away and the size of download decreases...
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:
    the brouter interface for choosing and downloading data sets is not exactly fantastic. for that reason, now i just point people to this-

...the full list
    http://h2096617.stratoserver.net/brouter/segments2/
    of data points. to me, it's much easier to look up a LAT / LON area i want to have available, and just download it via a browser.

if they're aware enough to know LAT/LON of their general areas, they can handle choosing the files to download to the sdcard. if not, refering them to "mapquest" as a source for routing information is the fall back. usually, the same people that don't 'get' the brouter setup process won't actually need offline routing data sets anyway. (not being a wise ass, just being practical :clap )
  5. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have planned out a week long trip on Google Maps on my PC. I can't find an option to save the route, copying the URL from the address bar and pasting it into a shortcut or text file seems to be the only way I can save the route. I'd like to be able to plan a long trip like this on my PC, and transfer the route to an Android phone.

I've been looking at the website for CoPilot, it doesn't seem like that will import routes.

BTW, we are leaving Saturday morning so I need something I can get my brain around in a hurry!

Your thoughts?
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Download oruxmaps, osmand and locus pro NOW, and play with each one for two hours.

The one that doesn't make you mad, pick and use. Download maps for the area, and we'll have a tutorial for importing ROUTES in a minute.... But you really need to find the app that fits your personality now.
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do this.
    Export the KML data from Google Maps.
    On the PC, use ITN converter (Google that) to read the KML. Convert that to a CoPilot TRP file with ITN converter.
    Copy the TRP file to you phone. Put it in the "com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa/NA/save" directory.

In CoPilot go to 'plan and edit route', options, load.

Thoughts. Sure, stop procrastinating. :rofl
  8. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The planning frustration you posted here is a big part of why I dl'd ViewRanger on the pc and android. It works good to plan trips on the pc and getting it to and using it in the phone good too.
  9. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Orrrrr you could just skip all that and use OSRM to plan your routes. Click on 'download as gpx file'. Bam. Done.

http://map.project-osrm.org/
  10. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you seen it work on the device as well? I tried using OSRM as the routing engine in Locus and it gave an error that indicated that routing information wasn't available for here (Ontario, Canada)

Edit: just used the website to generate a route and importing that into BaseCamp resulted in a 30km ride having hundreds of via points. Pretty useless :(
  11. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    No.

I design my route online using OSRM, just the same as you would in google maps. I click 'download as gpx file', and download it to my computer. Then I upload it to my dropbox account, which my Nexus 7 is connected to. I open Osmand, and open the gpx file. Voila!
  12. alma1759

alma1759 Nothing

Oddometer:
    Anyone using My Tracks? I'm running it on a Galaxy S5 and have downloaded a couple of different gpx files, but I can't seem to get My Tracks to find them? Keep getting a "folder doesn't exist" prompt?!
    Thoughts, advice, suggestions?
  13. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try going to the file in your download foulder and opening it there. It might open My Tracks when you do.
  14. alma1759

alma1759 Nothing

Oddometer:
    It gives me an "app not available to open this file message?!"

The files and the app just aren't taking? I'll try to down load a couple of different gpx files later.

Thank you for the suggestion, it was worth trying.
  15. alma1759

alma1759 Nothing

Oddometer:
    It starts with "suc" for a reason...

The folder the gpx files are stored in has the have the exact name of "mytracks/gpx" WITHOUT ANY SPACES!

And it has to be on the device, not on the SD card. Which is odd because I though the SD card WOULD be the external storage?

So, it seems to be working, now just need the base maps?