GPS for Android - is there an app to rule them all?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by dartmouth01, Apr 27, 2017.

1. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I'd love to find an app that could display/organize multiple tracks, had offline maps and routing (even if it's just point to point), recorded the ride automagically, and could find a gas station (POIs).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

You know locus does all that...

But a lot of folks get put off with how many features and functions is capable of, then instead go for an application that does a lot less but with an old school GPS like display.
  3. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Except for finding POIs. Unless I add them. Or unless there's something I'm missing.

4. UKJeeper

UKJeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just adding my 2c. I use Viewranger, for about the last 7 years. Which (imo) meets the OP's original list of requirements. You can use open streetmap, and regular topo maps. Counties currently available:

Austria
    Belgium
    Canada
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    France
    Finland
    Germany
    Great Britain
    Greece
    Italy
    Norway
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Northern Ireland
    Republic of Ireland
    Spain, Canaries, Madeira
    Sweden
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Switzerland
    USA

The US maps are USGS and Intermap. Which, if you're going offhighway, are way better than google maps for example.

[​IMG]

Download and store the maps, live tracking via something called Buddy Beacon with a site you can share so people can follow you, and allows you to track other users also running the app. Useful if you in a group and lose sight of someone. Setup routes on a PC then sync to your device (and back). Turn by turn, while not exactly what you might be looking, the alternatives here:

http://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=107

POI's can be added:

http://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=21

It also has a feature called 'Skyline', which gives you a augmented reality view of the area around you. Showing what's lying in which direction. And also shows you your route by overlaying arrows on the screen.

5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

POI's are in the map db. If you use Lomaps, when you DL the maps, you can also DL the POI's. Myself, I just open up Here We Go and use that for POI stuff. It's a completely free app with a POI db that's much better than what You get with City Navigator.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

Yes sir, poi are included in the lomaps. You can search for them , or have them all displayed all the time, then navigate to them fairly quickly...

Screenshot_2018-03-01-08-07-21.png Screenshot_2018-03-01-08-07-38.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-01-08-07-53.png Screenshot_2018-03-01-08-08-12.png

All without interfering with your current tracks on display.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Wow, you need a thread to show off viewranger ! Seven years of use means you know a lot of the INS and OUTS. Please make one :-)
    EZ-D, AugustFalcon and Albie like this.
  8. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so let me clarify. I see POIs in LoMaps. They're just not very good. I still end up using multiple apps like Albie.

9. UKJeeper

UKJeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Actually, after posting I realised it's closer to 11 years! (where DOES the time go?!)

If there's enough interest I may post up some more details. I've used many of the other map apps, but kept coming back to this one. Had everything I needed, at least when I was into hiking. Worked fine when I was 4x4ing too.
    EZ-D, ohgood, Shawnee Bill and 2 others like this.
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely interested. Would be great to hear your insight on the app.
    Royce Cochran likes this.
  11. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer

Oddometer:
    I used Viewranger until 2-3 years ago when I switched to Locus + Brouter.

As I recall, it worked well for me as a follow-the-track app and OK for online trip planning ('tho I've come to prefer Furkot for that). I gave it up because I couldn't find a way for it to develop offline a route for me from where I was to a place I wanted to get to. For example, I might be following a two track on a ride I had planned at the comfort of my desk only to find reality wasn't so obliging - say a big washout kept me from sticking to my planned track. I'd like to have an app that would reroute me around the obstacle and on to my original or alternative destination without needing cell service.

Has Viewranger added this ability?
    ohgood likes this.
  12. Turbominivanman

Turbominivanman Single track anyone?

Oddometer:
    +1 ∆
  13. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Is the Kurviger app still in full steam development or has it toned down a bit?
  14. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer:
    They were going strong in the fall, and there was an update in December.

Any reason to think they’re not?
  15. kurviger

kurviger Bloke from Kurviger.de

Oddometer:
    We are constantly pushing new features. You can have a look at our changelog to get an idea of the latest features. If you look at the update history there have been updates every 2-5 weeks or so.
    ohgood and theregulator like this.
  16. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    what's still putting me off your app is the "online only" routing option. Any insight of when you are going to allow some sort of offline routing option like OSMAND and LOCUS ?
  17. kurviger

Oddometer:
    This feature is on our todo list and we are looking into it. Unfortunately, I cannot provide an ETA.
    ohgood likes this.
  18. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Still seems to dictate turns to the opposite of what the track shows. Also, excuse my ignorance, but how do the maps Kurviger uses differ from Google Maps? For some trail roads on a little test route I made, Google maps shows them but they don't appear on the Kurviger map. I've tried to attach the test route. If you zoom in around Maple Lake near the route on Google Map you see roads that don't appear in Kurviger.

Attached Files:

19. kurviger

Oddometer:
    I just had a look at your example. Here is the link to the route. The turn instructions look correct to me. You can show them if you click on the "turn instructions" button.

Kurviger does not use Google Maps and there are differences between the two. Have a look at our documentation here. The good news is, with OpenStreetMap everyone can help to improve the data. So if you know of a missing track, you could add the missing track to OpenStreetMap, and a week or so later, you can use it in Kurviger as well.
  20. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks. I understand. With the little test route, when it is imported into Kurviger it appears different than the one created in Google Maps. If imported back into Google Maps it shows up properly. In Kurviger, the imported route is nonsensical, with odd turns and U turns. However, it does show the proper route in red dashed lines but it doesn't seem useful. Is there a way to force it to accept and navigate along a route even if it does not recognize the roads?