1. eNewsletter Sign Up

GPS For West Africa

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by matthangen, Apr 24, 2008.

1. matthangen

matthangen 07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer:
    Montgomery, AL/Kara, Togo/ Oklahoma City, Ok
    Any recommendations for a GPS Unit and or map source for West Africa? Is the Garmin Mapsource Worldmap worth anything? I'm looking at getting the Garmin 60csx and the mapsource worldmap. Has anyone had anyluck with a particular software or device? I'm going to be driving in Ghana, Togo, Burkina Faso, and Mali. Thanks !

matt
  2. Thom_worldwide

Thom_worldwide Way out here

Oddometer:
    When I was in Ghana, I used Worldmap with a Garmin 276C. The basemap is useless, but the Worldmap is okay. The only downside is that since the data is non-complex, there is no route planning capability. The upside is that you can load pretty much all of West Africa on the GPS and have fair route depictions. I was able to use the Worldmap data way off the beaten path in Ghana with good results. You definitely want to pick up a local paper map to verify routes and names of locations. I don't know who input the names of the roads, but they are usually inaccurate.

I looked around a bit for another digital mapset and didn't find anything. That doesn't mean there isn't anything better out there.

Best of luck on your trip.

Thom
  3. matthangen

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I ordered a 60csx and got the worldmap. I hope it turns out to be useful. I got the handlebar mount and will wireup a dc input for power. I'll try to post some pictures once we get going. Thanks again,

matt
  4. Thom_worldwide

Thom_worldwide Way out here

Oddometer:
    Matt,

Good luck on your trip. The CSX60 is a good model. Drop me a line when you are in the region. I may be back in Ghana by the fall.

Cheers,

Thom
  5. Harold

Harold n00b

Oddometer:
    I am using for west africa Ghana Togo bini etc also worled map.
    Going in December:D
  6. bixx

bixx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    garmin zumo 550 or garmin zumo 450 - pm inyang on this board, he is the tour master for my board

5 nation west africa trip in march - www.nigeria-bikers.com
  7. matthangen

Oddometer:
    I'm living in Kara, Togo now, about 235k from Lome. My CSX60 Garmin has done pretty well, although my actual location tends to be about 5miles off where the basemap shows the international highways. That can get frustrating when trying to save routes. If anyone is cutting up though Togo let me know, we've got a guesthouse and i'd love to jump in on the ride. From Ghana the Polymai crossing is the way to go, you head north from Accra through Ho, no fees for crossing on moto. It's about 10 hours from Accra to Kara on that route or through the Lome crossing but the Lome border is always crazy. Anyway, PM me if your in the region- matt
  8. bixx

bixx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just bought my zumo 450 woo hoo!

so i was looking up Kara, riding up from the Lome area is ok? what road would you recommend? Got a gps map or whatnot?

thx!!