1. eNewsletter Sign Up

GPS help

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by jardine, Nov 5, 2011.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    There's a "Track join" tool in Mapsource.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming you have an existing long track and want to reroute a short section in the middle: I would first draw the new section (in the same file as the original track) Then delete all the track points that are being bypassed, This is done by zooming in on start of bypass and find the number of the first track point to be deleted, then zoom in on end of bypass and select last point to be deleted, then scroll up to the first number and do a "Shift" click to select the whole section to be deleted, click delete. Then open the hand drawn track and select all points and cut or delete, close (it will delete track form list), open the old track they are going to, select the point at the end of the long straight line and past.

There is no need to split and join, just insert new section after deleting old section.

However I would just hand draw the new section, download both old long real track and new hand drawn section, then go ride it and save the active log and either past the new active log in old track or ride the whole thing.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jerry,

What you describe in your fist paragraph is pretty much what I do. I was hoping somebody had discovered a way to draw track points directly into the middle of a track. The track draw tool seems to want to draw them at the end of the last track viewed until you hit cancel.

Most of my trip planning is long trips with lots of tracks. I often run up against the 20 track limit on my 60. This makes your last suggestion generally not practical.

I have started taking a notebook computer on trips and downloading tracks in the middle of the trip that I was not able to fit in in the first download.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    What, you mean the part about using an offroad motorcycle to replace a computer mouse?

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be very complicated software. Only two choices, draw a new track from scratch or add on to ether end of an existing track (tracks are reversable). I guess I have been doing it way too long because, I draw, cut, & past without even thinking aobut it much.
  6. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Google Earth allows you to edit the middle of a Path (Track). You can click on any point along the track and delete the point (or many points) or start clicking and it will add points from that mid-point. The problem with editing in GE is that you can't cut a track at a mid-point nor join two tracks. So, I often have to jump between GE and MapSource to get what I want done.
  7. Spiritwalker2222

Spiritwalker2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to add tracks to the middle of a track why don't you just cut the track in half, add the new tracks to the end of the first track and then join them back up together?

For the Track or Route discussion, how do you use Routes when there there are no roads where you want to go? I have been unable to do this, but could see the potential if it's possible. I'm assuming the people who use routes are only going down know (to their GPS's map) roads. I use tracks for my dirt bike, and routes with auto-reroute turned off for my road bike.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adding points to/into the path of a Track is a very simple operation in BaseCamp-Windows v3.2.2. You simply select your Track, zoom in on the area you want to edit and then select the Point Insert Tool. Click on the portion of the Track you want to insert a point and you will have a "rubber-band" segment. Click on the map where you want the new point and done. Repeat.

Cheers,
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

I do this a lot when creating routes. I am constantly switching back and forth between Topo and City Nav when planning trips. Often Topo will show a road not in City Nav. So I just draw that part of the route in Topo. My version of Topo does not support follow-road routing so I just get straight lines between waypoints or via points. So I have to put in a few more points in that area.

I never use routes on the GPS unit itself. I am sure the follow-the-road routing algorithm would go nuts creating a route around the area where a road does not exist.

But what I described above works fine until I get the route firmed up to the point where I am ready to draw in the tracks.
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally, at least one new great feature in BaseCamp.

Didn't think of "rubber band" process which alrady exisited for Routes. Should be same basic software.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two ways;
    Cut/save first old portion, cut/save second old portion, create new center section, past three sections back together.

or (as I said above)

Delete track points in middle that are going to be bypassed, create new section, insert new section (paste with first track point of old end section highlighted).

I use second method a lot when I have a very long hand drawn track tdhen og out and ride only portions of it and want to insert the Active Log into the hand drawn track.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The method of splitting the track and adding in the new points sounds like a slight improvement. I tried it and it worked. Problem is I haven't used the track split and join features much and need some practice. Fortunately I do track segment cuts, pastes, and deletes a lot and am pretty good at it.

The methods described for Google Earth and BaseCamp are really what I was hoping was in Mapsource and just didn't know how to find.

I guess a few more advanced features like this in BaseCamp might shove me over the edge to make the switch.
  13. Spiritwalker2222

Spiritwalker2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Or you can switch over to BaseCamp. I wish Mapsource had the add track points and move track points like Basecamp does. For some reason I prefer the Mapsource interface so I'm always using it.