GPS Idiot

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Signal 13, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I downloaded Basecamp last night. Thanks for the link!
    Patch likes this.
  2. King Rat

King Rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you getting on with your sat nav and Basecamp thingy?

I am a technology in general idiot.... I still use a fountain pen, maps and compass, my mobile phone doesn't even have a camera (Nokia 3100) :1drink
  3. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. I used to ace the land navigation courses in the military, but the rapid advancement in GPS technology has left be in the dust. The Zumo is a great unit though and I don't feel as though I'm unmatched. Here's a video I made of loading tracks onto the unit...as you can see, it's a pretty straightforward process. That's the first video I ever made, and probably needs to be redone so the light from the unit isn't washing out the video, but it does cover the steps quite well.

I'll continue to mess around with the unit over the winter months to get more familiar with it prior to the heavier riding season.

Here's a video of how I wired it to the bike, but I may change that method soon and use a relay. This was just the easiest/quickest way at the time.

yokesman likes this.
  4. sac1

sac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, not to hi-jack this thread.

I have been using my smartphone with Osmand for short trips with my KLR and it really sucks the battery but works great. Now I traded my harley limited for a KTM 1290 r and need something for that and Like your idea of using a used smartphone, are there any phones you reckamend?

Thanks Scott
  5. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  6. sac1

sac1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using two identical Kyocera Torque phones for a few years now. They work fine but are now outdated; screen, storage, battery and performance are all better on new phones. Time for an upgrade. The Duraforce, Duraforce Pro and Samsung S5 Active are all on my list.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i used the duraforce (plain old duraforce, not the pro, not the xd) for a while.... here are the negatives:
    non removable battery
    no external charging points
    smaller screen (not terrible but smaller)

I'm looking at a couple of duraforce pros today, but the xd is still working very well for me
  9. agent86pc

agent86pc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stay as far away from the zumo as you can, spent almost 1000$ on a 595 zumo & id take my money back in a heart beat with out question, the most frustrating non user friendly device I’ve ever owned, pretty much totally useless. A simple I phone is so far superior in almost every way it’s just not funny. Worst purchase I’ve ever made.
  10. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Your gonna get 2 paths here. Path 1 will be go Zumo or Montana. Path 2 will be use your phone. For my usage.....

Car - I use my phone. I have it anyway and it is easy to use.

Bike - Zumo. Why?.....it is waterproof without a case. It works with gloves on. It works better in the sun. It is hardwired to the bike. In many ways a phone is more powerful for navigation, but I want on the fly ease of use. The cost is tough for a Zumo. I just bought a Zumo 396 LMT for $340, which is proving to be a nice unit. It is easy to use, has lifetime map updates and is in a nice tough case that looks good on the bike.

P.S. - just read the rest of the thread. Looks like we have similar tastes. Good luck, good choice.
    Signal 13 and sieg like this.