GPS in Mexico

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by D.Kinsey, Oct 15, 2005.

1. D.Kinsey

D.Kinsey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are you using in Mexico? Thanks.
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Bicimapas

It does not work with Mapsource, but uploads with Sendmap (freeware)
  4. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
  5. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    KICK ASS! I was going to buy a $100 product that covers Baja for my upcoming trip but THIS link looks like it will do it for 1/4 the cost!

Excellent.

BTW.. having the Garmin proprietary software I can honestly say the computer interface SUCKS ASS. Sheesh.. looks like something written during the Win3.1 era. Ick. Oh well.. I will say that it does what I need for the most part on the GPSMAP 76 when I upload the maps.

Anyone used the Overland Mexico products? Hell for $26 I'm going to bite (unless I hear otherwise) but I'll have to hit Mexico to really know if it's any good or not.. :)
  6. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    I'm also interested in these maps, but still have my reservations. Has anyone out there tried them? Specificly on a Garmin 60cs?
  7. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
  8. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    I have not used their software products, but the guy is a respected motorcyclist among BMW clubs down here, and his business has a good reputation.
    Good luck
  9. MrSolar

MrSolar n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this info - I did a 3 month 4800 mile trip this summer in Mexico - would have come in handy many times. If any get to Tulum and are looking for a place to hang out I have beach house there that is quite comfortable, www.tulum.us

The GS riding in this part of the country is great - but have to watch out for the jaguars and gators - we also have manatees here along with coral reefs in front of the house.

Bruce
    Houston, Texas
  10. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the Overland and Bicimapas are the same product. I have the Zone 2 verson and although better than nothing, it has very little detail. I guess for $26 it may be worth it but just barely!
  11. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used Garmin WorldMap for my trips to baja.
    Was very helpful at times.
  12. KTMr

KTMr Wanna-be adventure rider.

Oddometer:

I didn't get a lot of detail on my C60. The roads are there and sometimes the towns are named. It does include many dirt roads. Based on my experience, they need to be used in conjunction with a good paper map. Routes need to be laid out in advance. So far, the accuracy has been fairly good. Considering the lack of alternatives, I'd give it the nod.
  13. hardybaker

hardybaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Lowerance I way 500 is sure fine is the USA, but Worthless in Mexico. Lowerance, are you listening? HB sorry, but the devil make me do it.
  14. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    The Garmin 276c has a fair base map for Mexico and Central America. From what I can tell, its the same as Worldmap. I tried Bicamap this winter, not that good. Lots of errors and cities missmarked. Lots of major roads missing. I sure would like to find maps half as good as the detail maps we get for the US. I use Roads and Rec here, and I'm really happy with it. Too bad a similar product can't be bought for CA.
  15. LarryB

LarryB Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer:
    http://lbmaps.com/maps_of_mexico.htm

Mexico in your GPS
    Continuing with our commitment to offer GPS mapping products we present the Mexico Atlas GPS map for Garmin receivers. Among the extensive list of features included, the map has
    [​IMG][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Numbered highways [/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Using our Simplified City Maps concept, we added detailed street coverage for the cities of Mexico, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Tijuana, Mexicali, Ensenada, Rosarito, La Paz, San José del Cabo, Cabo San Lucas, Chihuahua, Guanajuato, Puebla, Pachuca, Merida, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. [/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Reference to more than 45,000 towns. [/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Over 25,000 geographical POIs such as beaches, mountains, lakes, dams, rivers and so forth. [/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]International and state boundaries, lakes, rivers, national parks. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]
    NOTE: This product does NOT have autorrouting functions.
    Size
    Huge over 31 Mb mapping information arranged in 18 sections designed to fit in receivers having from 8 Mb and up. This way you may upload the whole country or just those areas that better fit your needs.

[/FONT]
    The 18 sections with their sizes
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]
    Map Coverage. Click image for larger view.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT]

How they look on the GPS screen
    Screen shots from a Garmin GPSMAP 76C

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Numbered Highways[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]City Street detail[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica] Mérida Streets[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Unpaved roads and trails[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Guadalajara Streets[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Puebla and Valsequillo[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica][​IMG][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica]Cities and Points of Interest Search Capability[/FONT]​
    [/FONT]
  16. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    The newer ones are much better looking. Will be testing them out soon. LBmaps above are the same as the newest Bicamapas. Agree the cities are mislabeled often. Same can be said for several paper maps too. For some reason, Mexicans have a hard time choosing just one name for a town.:D

I've found Bicamapas to be dead on as far as where the road is. The guy that makes it has been recording his tracklogs and converting them to roads. Seems always spot on to me...maybe I was just lucky. World map, which is the standard basemap btw, is way off in many places. It was off by 30, yes, 30 miles in one place coming south on 180. Said there was intersections where none were to be found. I thought it generally sucked and turned it off. Other places seem right on. Both are a gamble iffin you ask me.
  17. PaleHearse

PaleHearse Road Ranger

Oddometer:
    I'm about to invest in the TTQV software from Touratech. I'll give a review of this in a few months. I'll be taking a couple trips into Canada and a short way into Mexico.. so it should be a nice shakedown.

Basically, what the TTQV does is it gives you the ability to use a laptop to view a paper map that's been digitized and GPS corrected.

If any of you already have experience with this set up, I'd love to hear about it. My plan is to use a ruggedized tablet PC to store the map information. Once the rout has been established using the TTQV software on the full map, you can download the track to the GPS.

I'll let you all know how well this works out.
  18. treysmagna

treysmagna Bald is beautiful

Oddometer:
    When I went to Alaska last summer I used my old Garmin GPS 72. It actually worked real well, except that I used it on a Harley Sporster and the vrbration shook the hell out of it and broke the handle bar mount when I was on the Dalton Hwy and the power pod that I had hooked up for the power cord. I went to battery back up and the damn vibrtation even sent that mode south. I had to end up just putting the thing in my pocket. Now, I have a GPS 76CSx and I have a BMW R100GS for my long trips like that. I used the new 76 on a trip to West Virginia last May. I had to use my FLHT since I blew a rear seal on the GS tranny. The 76CSx seemed to work pretty well. I like the color screen and I used a RAM mount that worked real well. I can use the map source software to create routes on my laptop and then down load them into the GPS. I wanted a 276, but the price was a little more than I wanted to pay and the 76 is layed out just like my trusty old 72. I still use the 72 on water and when I go off roading just so I dont damage the new unit in a crash. I need to get a little more memory in the 76 and some more map source software. I would like to get the natl parks and city guide for Canada since I plan on going back north in 08. Probably do Copper Canyon in Mexico in 07.
  19. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The use of GPS inside Mexico is or should be illegal.
    Tampons were legalized a couple of years ago and are now sold in Mexico.
  20. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cold . . . very cold. :lol3