GPS Map78 Track file sorting

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by MultiDV8, Sep 21, 2020.

1. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me how the GPSMap78 (and other Garmins GPS's with similar functionality) sorts track files.
    I've tried renaming them alphabetically, numerically and changing the modification date and I can't see any consistency as to how they're sorted.
    I have a number of different tracks for different areas that I ride stored on my GPS and constantly add and delete them, I name them alphabetically with a name and date according to the area but the GPS doesn't store them in any particular order that I can understand.
    Can anyone help ?
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Montana 600 sorts tracks by how far each one is from where you are.
    The algorithm seems to use some kind of centroid method. There are times when I am the beginning of a track and it is not first on the list.
    MultiDV8 likes this.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the puzzling world of Garmin.
    The Garmin software developers could but ....
    Just checked my 78, gives the option to sort Waypoints alphabetically or nearest but NO option to sort tracks.
  4. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AHHH, Thank you. That was the clue I needed. It does indeed sort them as you suggested. What was adding to my confusion was some of my tracks had a few track points at the start or end of the track which the GPS had saved when I turned it on at home to save the tracks to PC. Of course that moved the centroid and was the reason for the inconsistency. I edited the offending files and all is good.
    I hadn't considered that it might sort them that way. Problem solved. Thanks again.