GPS/Noob/Mexico/USA/Help

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by tn-steve, Aug 19, 2007.

1. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    I'm clueless about GPS's. I've decided it's time to buy my first GPS. Have spent hours researching on this site. I ride a KTM 950A, street and trail. I ride in the US and will go on the bike to MX for the first time in October. Based on my research, I've tentatively decided on the following:

Garmin 276C
    Bicimapas full map
    512MB data card (is this the largest available?)
    City Navigator
    Misc. mounting and wiring hardware

Is this all I should need? Have I missed anything. Comments, suggestions, and advice requested and appreciated.

TIA
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    cm pretty much nailed it. If you plan to explore where the backtrack and tracklog features are important to you, the x76 series is a great GPS. The 60cx series are nice too as a plotter.

But for $200, it's hard to go wrong with one of the streetpilots.

You'll need Navigator, as the GPS is more or less useless without it. The Bicimapas stuff they've just released is nice. It sure has come a long way in the past four or five years. You'll need a good mount also.

I've been hardwiring my GPS's to the bikes, but use trailer connector as a plug. Installing and removing the plug in and out of the GPS wears out the power cable fast. Using a trailer or molex plug a foot away from the GPS saves a lot of wear and tear. Plus you can use real exane coated wire to do the power cable up to the plug rather than the sissy Garmin cable.

EDIT-- you putting this on the 950? :ear
  3. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Nothing worse than dumping $500 plus in a farkle and then finding out that a simple question on the OC could have prevented a mistake. Sounds like I'll be OK with either one.

Yes, I'm planning on mounting on my 950. I like the advice I read about getting it in the field of vision, so have tentatively decided to go with the KTM/Tourtech lockable mount and the Tourtech adapter to put it above the gauges. Very good advice about the trailer plug - I'll definately do that...

I owe you both a beer (or more!)- I'll be looking for you in October in MX to pay up :freaky

Thanks again
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Damn good info.
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    That's funny. :D I liked Loran...

Really, well written, Chris. :thumb

I'm gonna jump back into the Geek thing fairly soon, within a year or two anyway. It's gonna semi mature fairly soon...I hope.
  6. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    Which one for...
    I want a GPS that is simple to use and master so it sounds like the 2610 is ideal for that.....
    XM.. radio... what does that give me?
    the 276C with back tracking sounds like what I need also......

I am planning on Riding from my Dallas MotoLocoAdventureTours base to my Quito Ecuador Operations Base. Then on to Macchu Pichu.... Chile ...... Tierra del Fuego.
    So the long range capability of the 2610 or the newer XM capable version sounds ideal for navigating along the way........
    BUT... the 276C backtracking capability sounds ideal for implementing into my Tours where I would want to be able to run the trip either way.
    My idea is to run a group one direction one way and another group back so I need the backtracking capability..... Or do I?
    How can I get around this?

Also I HATE having to have to buy batteries. On cameras I allways insist on a rechargeable type where I can just plug in at night and buy and extra battery. I guess some of these plug into the bikes 12V but what about off bike?
  7. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    I looked on amazon and not there or like $1000
    2730 for $600 used
  8. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    Pat, the X76Cs have internal rechargable batteries ... a big advantage for reviewing upcoming sections while off the bike.

My 2730 hasn't missed a beat in 20,000 miles. I dumped XM due to limited selection 18 months ago ... they've got more offerings now.:dunno If cockpit real estate is at a premium the brake reservoir makes a good XM puck mounting location. (velcro, 4-40 eyelets into the bottom of the puck and tie wraps)
  9. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    Re the 512 data card: It's the biggest out there and, realistically, it's plenty big enough.