GPS Pricing Deal Fest - Post that good price or deal here

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by 9Dave, Jul 12, 2008.

1. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the Ram Mount and it's fairly solid but won't hold up to any real offroading. It'll be fine on gravel/graded dirt roads. If you're doing anything more serious, you should consider the Touratech mount. It's $130 for the locking version, $107 for the non-locking. Well worth it. The MvG mount is just silly money (over $200) for oversized vibration isolators.

The $50 adapter is specific for the 950 to mount above the instrument cluster. I really like it up there.

[​IMG]

The Garmin mount is only marginal if you're strictly a street rider. I've heard units popping out of them a lot.
  2. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, can the TT mount be adapted to use a RAM mounting setup? This is strictly sport touring use, limited space and may eventually find it's way onto a cheap dual sport.
  3. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    Ram Mount has tons of different mounting options. You don't need the TT adapter if you're going with Ram Mount. Check out their site.
  4. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this, have a lot of exp. with RAM mounts. My question was I only have a way to mount the TT via adjustable RAM mounts, and can RAM mounts be used of the TT mount since i have never had one in my paws. I ride a Sprint ST and it has limited room for "contraptions" is all
  5. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    You could use one of these for your sprint.
  6. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have triple clamps

Anyway, I got my 2720 a bit ago and it sure looks as new as it could. I didn't get any free upgrades, but not going to sweat it.
  7. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF? The 2720 does not have an output for headphones for the chick to tell me when to turn? That's Lame. Other than that, seems like it will suit me fine
  8. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

You want a chick to bug you when you are riding. WEIRD :eek1 :eek1
  9. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can change it to just a beep or something. I am notorious for spacing off and missing my turns. :lol3
  10. gixxersteph

Oddometer:

Then she'd be bugging you 'cause you missed the turns. Want you to U-turn when safe and all that. :rofl

BTW - I haven't used the 2720 yet, but my wife is happy with it. :clap
  11. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. gixxersteph

Oddometer:
  13. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    So I've had my third 276c stolen and started to look around for my fourth and of course by this time I'm getting a little bit thrifty about my new GPS so I look for refurbs as they're generally just open box specials. While I was looking I looked for used and it seems people here are paying $325-350 for used ones thinking they come with software but once software is unlocked it's done and you can't unlock it for a different user or device. Bastards.

Anyway, I found this and figured I'd share with the inmates: Garmin 276c Refurbished for $316

They have pretty decent prices on memory and software too so for $500 I got the 276c, City Navigator NT, and a 512mb memory stick. Not an endorsement but just some friendly information. I personally think the 276c is the best GPS out there for Adv Riders and this being my fourth one I think should speak volumes. My last one survived being head butted by me after I torpedoed my 950 into a ditch at 40mph. I absolutely flattened the touratech GPS mount and broke my nose on my way over the bars but the Garmin came out with nary a scratch. Too bad some scum swiped it from my truck a month later.

Anyway, hope it helps out an inmate or 9 (the number left).

Gregor
  15. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post. 8 left.
  16. FredGarvin

FredGarvin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    now, it says 9 left again.
  17. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Well I'm hopeful that I've not led anyone down a dubious path so I'll let you all know when I've gotten mine. I'm guessing they manually update the stock count after the weekend. They have a good vendor rating on Google so I don't suspect anything amiss.

I'm looking forward to having a GPS again.
  18. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer:
  20. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    Do you experts have any thoughts on which is preferable (for moto use, south of the US border):

Garmin Quest refurb for $88.50

Quest 2 new for $199

276c for $300

2720 refurb for $110

Assuming price matters, and one expects to have it stolen at some point, where is the sweet spot for motorcycle value right now?

I'll probably use a RAM mount and hardwire kit, unless Touratech discounts are to be had for a locking mount. Bike is a 2009 KLR.