GPS questions

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by 802Adv, Nov 24, 2020.

1. 802Adv

802Adv n00b

Oddometer:
    Longtime lurker and infrequent poster here. Currently I ride a 2011 GS and do most of my navigating through waze or google maps on my phone. I am looking into installing a dedicated GPS on my bike. I have looked at the Tomtom and Garmin offerings specific to motorcycles and the prices seem outrageous for them. It seems like an automotice GPS with an appropriate weatherproof case makes more sense financially. Is the the main issue mounting of the case or???. What am i missing here? I am interested in doing the NEBDR next summer Covid permitting and the ability to use a dedicated GPS seems a better way to go given the spotty nature of cell service on some of the route(native Vermonter here). Additionally I would love to mount the GPS on a bar above the windscreen/instrument cluster bar but cannot seem to find a source for that? Any help/advice is appreciated. TIA
  2. Eric80

Eric80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't directly answer your question, but you can in fact use a smartphone as a GPS without cell service.
    ohgood and flamingm0e like this.
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    No cell service required, but I definitely recommend a dedicated device (my preference is a rugged Android phone, with no service on it)
    ohgood likes this.
  5. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And you can get the TomTom Go app on the phone if you like their interface. Just a thought.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been running TomTom Go for a year now. Don't like the new interface though
    ohgood likes this.
  7. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold my Garmin Montana years ago and use an iPhone 6s in a Lifeproof case. I've done 3 BDR's including the NE. I've done the entire TAT and 1000's of other off-road ADV miles with it. As mentioned, you do NOT need a cell or data connection to use a cell phone as a gps. I run Gaia on it and love it.
    ohgood likes this.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
  9. 802Adv

802Adv n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the advice
    Lots of good suggestions and stuff to read
    ohgood likes this.
  10. 802Adv

802Adv n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like running the Gaia App on my cellular Ipad mini is the way to go, thanks for the help everyone.
  11. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    An automotive type GPS unit will not allow you to load "tracks" on it that you can follow. Nor can you save tracks you've ridden. That is the main difference between a handheld type GPS unit like the Montana or a smartphone with an app, and an automotive GPS and why most of us will not use an automotive type unit.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're right that most automotive GPSs don't let you load tracks.

I have experience with a couple of automotive GPS units and they do allow you to save tracks. I don't recall anyone in the "nuvi as an ADV GPS" thread that has trouble saving tracks. They can't (easily) display tracks.
  13. 802Adv

802Adv n00b

Oddometer:
    To all those who helped, thanks again. I downloaded the Gaia app on my laptop, iPad mini and iPhone. Total game changer and pretty easy to use as well. Many thanks
  14. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hit me up with a PM if you have any Gaia questions. I spent hundreds of hours learning it and I'll get my money's worth from that effort if I can shorten someone else's learning curve.
    Ljislink, 802Adv and ohgood like this.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    as you learn stuff and have "aha!" moments post them here... it helps so much to see other people's findings.

enjoy the ride
    802Adv likes this.