GPS Recommendations / Upgrading from Garmin 395

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by welcometoashley, Aug 5, 2019.

1. welcometoashley

welcometoashley New Member

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    My Garmin 395 is no longer charging in the mount and I've read about problems/issues with the mount and cables charging the device. I've had it for a 3-4 years now and, instead of getting a new cable and troubleshooting, I think I may just upgrade to a new GPS.

Any recos? The 596 looks nice, but it's kind of expensive - let me know if any owners with the 596 have issues with charging in the motorcycle mount.

Thanks!
  2. BillMoore

BillMoore Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Garmin Montana 600T that is now about 5 years old, mounted in their AMPS Rugged Mount, and it has been awesome. It was a bit expensive, but I rely so heavily on this thing for route finding, that it was worth every penny. A little bit of a learning curve on how to use it and also how to use BaseCamp for route planning, but once you figure it all out, it is pretty easy and very convenient. If anything were to happen to mine, I'd be looking at another Montana...
    wbbnm and shrederscott like this.
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Montana with powered rugged mount works great on my ktm 350

Scott
  4. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1. Original Montana 600, used on a bike (bike mount), in a car (car mount), handheld for hiking, in US and Europe, with City Navigator and various open source and custom maps.
  5. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would definitely keep it and buy a new mount. It not even 10 years old! Not kidding. It's like 100-130$? Less trouble than a new gps too.

I suspect the mount problem is your fault. Yes. Sorry. The mount has a chip inside. Whether its pins got shorted, or had water or soap exposure, it is probably electronically damaged, not necessarily a cable problem if they were routed securely. Water damage happened to me. Changed the mount and now I keep the mount cover on all the time and put it in whatever pant I have the moment I put the gps on.
  6. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    +4 on the Montana. Bought my 600 years ago when they first came out and it hasn't missed a lick since, despite several crashes. Goes with me everywhere. I have RAM balls mounted on all my rigs and the Montana and it's powered mount is moved to whichever rig I'll be using.
  7. beakerflo

beakerflo n00b

Oddometer:
    I have had my Garmin 350LM for 7 years now, ridden around 200.000km's with it and I replaced my mount 3 times. Idiotic, but well.... things wear and tear. You can prolong it a bit with cleaning it with vinigar, perhaps there is some chalk on the contacts because of rain or other stuff.
    ohgood likes this.
  8. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never let any liquid come near the mount's pins array; use the plastic cover.
    It is not waterproof, water would sneak in and corrode stuff, cause shorts and all.
    The most you should ever do is rub a pencil eraser on the contacts of the mount and back of gps.