GPS & Tennessee Portion of Transamerica Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by 4RunnerFever, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Many people have offered to submit their tracklogs to Sam so this not the problem. Also, isn't planning a trip part of the adventure? I am in the process of planning my TAT trip and I believe that preparing the GPS data is a good exercise for me. It helps familiarize me with the maps and roll charts and also the location of hotels and gas. Just some food for thought.
  2. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    you are using the roll charts too? then you must be going east to west?

I just got my maps yesterday (3/4/08), AR, MS, TN, but I'm traveling west to east and starting in south padre island, texas, Traveling the coast to LA, heading up the west side of LA to AR. ..... and going all the way to NJ.

Going west to east I gather I won't be using the roll charts (or even going to bring them?).

I will though be using the maps and gps (2610) though and will punch in waypoints in gamin's bobcat beta for mac. ..... no track feature yet ...

I'm thinking about getting this map holder:
    http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/DisplayStyle/586117?source=9039
    It's a 12x9 that will hold folded road atlas pages or sam's TAT maps (i hope)
  3. leahyz

leahyz Gigantic Tool

Oddometer:
    Myself and a friend are riding the trail starting next week. We are doing TN-MS-AR or however far we get.

Note: If it took anyone 40 hours to map a state, you're probably not doing it in a very efficient way. It took me about 30-45 minutes for each state, you don't need to load every single waypoint. If you prefer a track vs. a route, it's as simple as a 3rd party conversion software. I have then fiddled with my routes and made a some tweaks, but the basic route didn't take much time at all to create and would be 100% adequate. I feel I have a better idea of the route having created it too.

I think making your own route is very valuable. Figuring out how to make it quickly is the key. I think I have a better understanding of the route from that. I probably will not even touch the paper maps or roll charts, but likely will pack them as a backup.

Hopefully it's not a swap ride next week. Or an icicle ride.
  4. motorrad-michael

motorrad-michael www.facebook.com/Mot

Oddometer:
    KUDOS to all you guys looking out for Sam Correro. I met Sam while riding through the Mississippi portion of the TAT. Hearing him tell his story of how and why he created all the navigation for this amazing ride is really inspiring. Sam is a very down-to-earth kind of guy who created and continues to update these maps and roll charts simply for the love of the sport. The small price he asks for his maps can't possibly cover all his time and efforts. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Sam - thanks to all of you looking out for him as well.
  5. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    This may be true for those states but once you get out of the states that have GPS data then it slows down quite a bit. I am up to NV and I am taking about 2-4 hours per state (on states that don't have GPS data).
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    It took me about 1 hour per state drawing tracks. Using routes is a BIG mistake!
  7. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    Well, I am using the Garmin beta program, Bobcat, for the mac and I am just putting waypoints throughout the route then I am going to transfer that a friend's pc and draw tracks.
  8. dedsmurf

dedsmurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im in the market for a device.. my mio cant handle anything not in the factory database and doesnt like to be off road.
    what device do people recommend?
    thanks!
  9. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Whats your budget?
  10. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I built my TAT GPS route in a daily format in route form. Its easy in Mapsource. I simply hold Sams maps in front of me and click away building the route and ending it at Sams nightly stops. This way I can see what time I will arrive that night in town. So I have 14 routes for Trinidad Colrado to Port Orford loaded into my 276c. I also get turn by turn directions this way. I have all gas stops also waypointed so I can see how far I must go for fuel durin gthe days ride. I can see the mileage for each day and so on. The trick here is to disable "Off route Recalculation" option.
    I dont enter Sams waypoints, that would be painfully slow, I just zoom in to under 1 miles and match up the maps to Mapsource and click.
  11. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    What do you do about roads that are not on the maps? I ran into some roads that weren't on my maps even using R&R.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Thats odd, all the TAT was on my R&R. :huh
  13. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Even if they weren't, you simply go to "Prefernces"-"Routing" then select "Direct Route", continue to make your route over the un mapped section. Once back on mapped roads, switch back over to auto routingand continue. The trick is to never do a recalc.
  14. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    When was the last time you mapped it out? I'm not sure but I think Sam changes the maps every once in a while. There were only a few sections and it may be due to how I mapped them. Two of them were in OR and the Black Dragon Canyon was also not on my R&R for some reason. I think there was a section of road leaving one of the passes in colorado that wasn't either. Can't remember the name right now.
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Last summer
  16. 4RunnerFever

4RunnerFever Intercontinental

Oddometer:
    Lots of tarmac in Tennessee, I did the whole route on Anakees. Have fun!
  17. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    You really don't start to smell dirt until your west of Lawrenceburg Tnn.
  18. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    really? maybe it's time to look for way to bypass most of TN and go to MS and AL way ...... and follow the AT north ....
  19. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Yup. Still nice roads though. For sure.
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    There is some nice dirt/gravel between Jellico and Sparta.