GPS & Tennessee Portion of Transamerica Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by 4RunnerFever, Apr 17, 2007.

1. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    I rode Tennessee thru Oklahoma in August 2009. I would not bother with Tennessee. It is mostly paved and a lot of it has a "suburban - used to be rural" feel.

Arkansas is the best state on the eastern TAT. Has both sandy lowlands in the delta and nice forest service roads in the Ozark Mountains. Mississippi is good too, riding on top of the levys is an experience not to be missed.

I really enjoyed Oklahoma, but I seem to be in the minority. Some of the sections are very straight for miles and miles, but there is enough muddy and loose stuff on the roads to keep you interested. When you get to the part with the curvy roads, rolling hills, and free range cattle, it is just beautiful.

Is snow a problem in the Ozark Mountains in the beginning of December? I really don't know. Make sure you have good cold weather riding gear.
  2. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    I looked at the TN section as a right of passage and a good place for a shake down. You learn to pack and unpack, to stay hydrated, and to gain confidence at many things while in a relatively populated region. What is your fuel mileage, how are you doing on tire wear, to much or not enough pre-load with this load you're carrying etc... etc.

If you have to ask, I would certainly say yes. And, I wouldn't have missed that lunch in Bell Buckle, or those creek crossings for nothing in the world.
  3. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    I still get a knot in my stomach thinking about those creek crossings. Dropped the bike on two of them. Could barely stand up in the creek it was so slick. Had to drag the bike out of the creek before I could lift it up on two wheels again.

Make sure you have good barkbusters to protect the clutch and brake levers before you cross creeks in TN!
  4. cbomb

cbomb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much is paved? 50%? 90%?

What bike did you use?

Think I can do it on a crf450x?
  5. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    Tennessee is at least 85% paved, maybe more. On the other hand, some of the dirt parts are very nice. I specifically remember a long dirt road through a forest with a lot of small wooden bridges that seemed to go on forever. I really enjoyed that.

I rode an XT225.

The CRF450x will easily do the eastern TAT. Whether it can do it with you on it's back is another question :D (just joking). Really, most of the eastern TAT is just well maintained gravel roads. There is one technical rocky road in Arkansas (warloop road) that I found challenging. The soft sandy and muddy roads in the Arkansas Delta and Oklahoma require moderate off-road skills in good weather, and some are probably impassable after a heavy rain.

I assume you have a license plate for your bike, and some way of carrying supplies. Also bark busters and good dot knobbies for the sand/mud.

Only concern with the CRF450x would be range. You should be ok on the eastern TAT if you plan your fuel stops. You do not have enough range for the western TAT, you would need to get an aftermarket tank or have some way of carrying extra fuel. I have a 4 gallon aftermarket tank on my XT225, and can go 250 miles between gas stops. I wouldn't want less range out west.
  6. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
  7. c18797

c18797 n00b

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I are doing the Tennessee portion in April. I have purchased the TAT maps and would like to get a hold of a GPS file. Anyone outthere willing to help us out?
  8. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Asking for GPS tracks of the TAT is a very touchy subject.

And if you just got the TAT maps, it wouldn't help you anyway.

Sam has done quite a bit of rerouting in TN to get more gravel... the new route charts just came out this winter, so nobody will have tracks of the new routes.

So create your own routes from the new roll charts and consider yourself lucky to get to ride the updated TAT! :clap
  9. c18797

c18797 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I understand that people may not want to give out the files although I have seen several offering if a purchase has been made.
    I was unaware that the route had changed which is good news as we were a bit discouraged at how much pavement there was going to be. Hopefully that will not be the case.
  10. dirtbikeslob

dirtbikeslob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey Jeff,how did you draw the tracks,i just got my maps about a week ago,tried entering coords,but it is taking to long.
    we leave for the 'states in just over a week,may just have to use the roll charts and just mount my gps for looks:D
    also sam has highlighted the duelsport bypass for NV on map 2 at 54.55 mile not that i will be taking it:D
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Are you using Mapsource? If so, there is a track draw tool.
  12. Brickflyer

Brickflyer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the maps and roll charts from Sam. Been cutting and taping strips for an hour. This is not going to work for me. Too much ADD.
    Please, anyone, I need a Garmin file for the Tennessee TAT. we are leaving Sat am. Be glad to reimburse you or make a donation to our board. I'll throw in a new chart holder......

THX
  13. boxercup03

boxercup03 Jim Taylor

Oddometer:
    if you get me the maps, i create a track for you
  14. Brickflyer

Brickflyer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer!
    I think im too late for that.....
    leaving Sat am.
    maps on kitchen table. would have to scan or overnight. gotta work, no time. <sigh>

i gotta start planning sooner..........
    i guess it will be an Adventure.

roll charts almost done........
    still appreciate the offer.

anyone else??
  15. TripinTiger

TripinTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I ride a Triumph Tiger, but this summer am planning to ride and camp the Tennessee portion of the TAT on a tandem bicycle with my daughter. I have purchased Sam’s TN maps and charts (I promise), but would really appreciate some recent Garmin GPS files. Much appreciated. Hope to see some of you on the trail.
  16. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Sorry - we don't host TAT files due to copyright issues. There are a few threads here that show how to build your own. It doesn't take that long.
  17. RECCE

RECCE I wonder where that goes?

Oddometer:
  18. AUGuru

AUGuru Jeep Ham

Oddometer:
    For those that have run the new southern route in Tennessee, do you have any thoughts on running it West to East? I have a group planning to ride this weekend, Friday through Sunday, but the weather is looking iffy on Friday, but if we started in Corinth, MS and rode towards Tellico, it looks like we'll stay a lot drier and ride with the sun more.

Mixed group of dual sport bikes and Jeeps (with kiddos along for the adventure).
  19. Scott Davis

Scott Davis Which way did they go?

Oddometer:

First I heard of new TN route. Whats it like? Less paved roads?

Thanks for the info.

I did the orig TN and MS sections twice.

Scott
  20. mdfiasco

mdfiasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been studying maps for the last few hours to find a fun route from Virginia Beach to Tellico Plains. Lots of open forest roads are available.

What's the scoop on the new route through TN? Is there actually more gravel? Anyone know?