GPS Tracking APP for Smartphone

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by alexk243, May 5, 2020.

1. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but looking for recommendations for a GPS App on a smartphone (android for me) to track GPS trails (gpx file or similar). I use strava for mountain biking, but looking for something for ATVing and dirt biking.

Thanks!
  2. Vicresendez

Vicresendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use REVER and google maps offline
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    You'll probably get a ton of different answers here, but I find the Gaia app is excellent for tracking on my android phone. There's a big "Record" button on the display. Easy to save to gpx when you're done recording. I just use the free version.
    Vicresendez likes this.
  4. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I use SWconnect to upload to Spotwalla. There are several different apps that can upload to Spotwalla (SWconnect might be iOS only, but there are others for Android). Once your trail is on Spotwalla, you can download it as a GPX, KML, or CSV. The neat thing about Spotwalla is that you can share your map with others, even before you start riding. So someone could go to a link to watch your progress, and see your last known location.

The is a limitation that apps can only upload a GPS point to Spotwalla every 5 minutes at the most.

With Spotwalla, if you are out of cell phone range for a time, the GPS points are held in memory and uploaded once the signal returns.

I use it for road trips. I'm not sure if it would translate well to dirt biking on trails, but you can give it a shot. It's all free.
  5. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've really been liking Locus. At this point, I prefer it over a standalone GPS unit.
    AzMtnThumper likes this.
  6. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tripped1 likes this.
  7. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Osmand and love the flexibility it gives me. The learning curve is a little steep (for me), but now that I have it dialed in, it's great.

Sammy
  8. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh wow, I really thought there would be one go to for this haha. Ok, Ill look into those, Thank you guys.

What about apps for mapping and following trails in Colorado/Utah area? Any recommendations there.
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Locus Pro is my go to for basically everything. Its a swiss army knife with a hell of a learning curve, but its file, POI, and track management functions are really unmatched IMHO.

Its map engine is a bit ...meh... so I have been known to use use it as a track filter with another app to actually do the display job.
  10. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    There's about 20 gazillion threads on this in Mapping and Navigation, look there.
  11. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I started out on Locus and really tried that but it's way too much for me with a very steep learning curve. Last year on a long distance trip found Osmand was a lot more intuitive and easier to use for me. All the stuff I want and nothing I don't, with user items that are tweakable, such as road name displays that you can make bigger, etc.
  12. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Depending on what I am doing I use Locus, Osmand, or BackcountryNavigator
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

locus map pro...

this is the database that stores your points, tracks, maps, kmz overlays, etc...
    Screenshot_20200506-093331.png

this is a simple 4 day family vacation in NorthGeorgia , plotted and executed with locus:
    Screenshot_20200506-093405.png

then i turned on the Georgia MVuM (motor vehicle use map) layer, full opacity:
    Screenshot_20200506-093516.png

then i added five other kmz overlays with different transparencies:
    Screenshot_20200506-093603.png

of course you can just record tracks with it too, but it's way more than most of the seasoned stand alone users are used to, with a VERY STEP LEARNING CURVE at the beginning.

if you just want a really simple track recording app, check out maverick, back country navigator, osmand, or heck, even Google maps can do it. if you want to do more, prepare to install locus and spend a weekend getting used to it on the couch.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  14. Maverich

Maverich I'm not lost

Oddometer:
    I use BackCountry Navigator. I particularly like that I can use USGS topo maps, and that I can cache the map tiles before I go riding into no coverage areas.
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Guru Pro for me.
  16. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a simple problem but can't find an answer. I want to ride my bike on a day ride, click go and simply have that route recorded so that I can download and print or send it via email at the end of the day. I don't want to preplan the trip as I like to roam and choose roads on the whim. I use Google maps when I know my destination and want a direct route. My resources are a Samsung S9+ and a Garmin Montana.

I previously had a SPOT and it would supposedly do this but was somewhat convoluted. All of these apps seem to want to do much more than I want as if I want to preplan each road ahead of time. Just want to turn on the device, ride all day and then get home and download the route so I can print or sent email to friends with my day's travel. Can't find a way to do this with Google maps and I don't think I can transfer a route off the garmin to email. Thanks for any ideas.
  17. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    Locus for Android will record and export a gpx file. It's pretty good at it.
  18. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Lots of apps to do that. Guru Pro and OsmAnd+ work great. I also use a GPS speedometer app called Ulyssee that will record a track. Drive Mode Dashboard is a great multi function app that will record a track as well. Check them out. I'm sure something will work for you.
  19. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. Problem with some of these is the lack of simplicity to download a track and get it to a map that can be distributed via email. Many apps complicate the issue thinking you want to plan each leg of a trip vs just recording wherever you go. Then the learning curve goes up for things you don't need. Will have a go at some of these.
  20. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    You should be able to download your track from the Montana (I'm not familiar with the Montana, but I'd be surprised if you can't) into Base camp, save it as a .GPX file and email away. Easy as.