GPS Virgin

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Alchemist, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I've annoyed my wife by going a buying a GPS unit. Got the new Magellan Explorist 500. Already has an SD card with Discover Aust Streets and Tracks. Got to mount it etc but.......

But I need some kind soul to sit/ride with me and show me how to use it. Just an intro lesson so I can get going. Free counter lunch at some country pub (wOLLOMBI ?) for the "teacher". Thoung a ride out to there might be a good start. Anyone interested ?
  2. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    What do you think of the screen in full sun ?
  3. Alchemist

Oddometer:
    How did I know the resident Magellan GPS guru would reply :rofl

Seems fine. It has three levels of brightness. It been pretty cloudy here in Sydney all week and I only got it on Sunday so...... but so far looks good.

Now do I expect you and Burnie (?) to get into a fight.

PS how do you hook up your unit to the power supply on the 640. It came with all sorts of cig lighter connections but they of course don't work
  4. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you get it from GPSOZ at the 4WD show ?

If it was in a pack with mount etc then the cig lighter adapter also has a 5 to 12 volt converter in it (which you cannot get rid of)

RAM do not currently have a cradle for the eXplorist series
  5. Alchemist

Oddometer:
    Yes. Nice helpful guys.

It also came with a rather strange USB to cig lighter adapter. Is that what you mean ? I need something to plug into the accessory socket of the Adventure.

Unfortunately the only mount is the Magellan bike mount at present.
  6. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plug the Magellan cable (USB plug) into the cig lighter plug then it will power the GPS (but not charge the battery).
    If you plug the short cable that came with the cig lighter plug into the cig lighter then plug it into the socket about half way along the Magellan cable then it will charge the battery as well

Either this or the other way around :)

You need the cig lighter plug as it has an internal 5v to 12v convertor.

This plug/USB cable are actually for iPaqs.
    Magellan does not have its own 12v power cable available yet.
  7. Alchemist

Oddometer:
    Ah !!!! Gotcha :baldy

thanks for letting me dip into the font of knowledge :D
  8. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean Brian, Kirsten, Sally and Burnie ? :D
  9. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    That's Burnie... I am unfortunatley a guru at nothing, certinaly not Magellan.

okay.. the Meridan has three as well, bad, worse and shithouse..

I rarely "fight" with anyone, I have my opinion, which I presume is what people are here to seek ? up to others to balance that against their needs.

I don't (yet) unfortunalty I was sent the wrong power adaptors... sigh... . I want to power it straight off the battery, I will solder my own inline fuse.

The cig lighter is also the tranformer. One cheap ass'd soultion is to go to "Super Cheap Auto" buy the correct male plug, wire it up to the male end of the cig lighter power transformer and away you go (plug it in.) This is exactly what I use on my BMW. I used to just use an adaptor (small DIN plug on one end, and female cig plug on the other) but this partly disintergrated at about 10,000km. Since then I have wired it directly to the plug and it works a treat. Another option is to get a power supply with bare wires and wire an inline fuse.

BTW DAST sucks in QLD, to much hydrological information for it to be useful, the old state based Streets and Tracks is much better. I use the onboard GPS mapping as "the map of last resort" because 6 times out of 10 it's wrong.
  10. Alchemist

Oddometer:
    OK now the penny is dropping. I went on Friday and spoke to a guy from Magellan at length. Then went back on Saturday and bought the unit from ? (not sure) but Brian was there and the lady I got it from had short dark hair.

So Burnie, you would've suggested a Garmin unit ?
  11. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have already made a decision so murder the alternatives :)