GPX and copyright

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by dizave, Dec 13, 2005.

1. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    GPX does support a copyright, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't checked yet but I'd imagine none of the posters here are hip to it.

Do you think all of the GPX files posted here are in the public domain?
  2. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    The schema includes copyrightType, but I haven't seen it added to anything created via Mapsource. If I was in the business of taking people out on tours or selling routes, I might want to add it to the file, but I don't think anyone here is quite that sophisticated, at least not yet. :dunno
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems to me that a GPX route can certainly be copyrighted, but if you've posted it on the Internet, what's the point? We're doing this in an effort to share. It's just like someone telling a funny story in JM. You can tell the same story on another forum and claim it as your own without fear of legal recourse. It would be a whole lot more civilized to give credit to the source. That's kind of what I expect here. To claim a copyright it must be stated explicitly. Same as photographs for that matter. Is what I say correct?

-dubb
  4. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    Well, the point of copyrighting it would be to establish certain rights. Actual track logs can be pretty hard to get and have value. Some people might want to protect that value :dunno

I"m not sure what the rules are, although I'm certainly interested. Wouldn't be surprised if DMCA comes into play, but I have no idea. Like all things done with best intentions, it's probably best to have thought about the consequences in advance, so I figured I'd post the thread while I was thinking of it and see what others were thinking.
  5. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    This is a sad commentary on modern life...I'm not faulting/critizing Dizave for bringing it up...just the notion that everything we do has a dollar value attached to it...I'm tired of the pervasiveness of the dollar...our capitalistic system is becoming wound so tight, it's only a matter of time before it implodes...

Just for the record....every idea, piece of fabricated bling, GPX file or humorous one liners I post on Advrider... are free for the taking...
  6. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think that people who are trying to protect value would not post such content on a public forum, who's sole purpose is to share such content freely with all who would like to use it.

I applaud R-dubb and PhilSpace for creating this forum, which is long overdue. I hope that as a community we freely share good rides so that all so inclined can enjoy the great riding that we read about and see on this forum.

Thanks R-dubb and PhilSpace for a great start, it is up to the rest of us to make it better.

Jim in Sacramento
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    You're funnier in person:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
  8. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    That was a very comfy campsite...except for the acoustic pollution coming from the adjacent tent. :lol3
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like Jim says in the 3rd paragraph Thanks for all the hard work.
  10. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    The mind of a lawyer...Stop it Dave. Its not to late to change your mind and do something else.:D

Law school will screw you up mang.

please don't sue me.:D
  11. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Tire changing offends your delicate hearing? :D
  12. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    I ain't talking about the tire changing... :topes & :snore...

:rofl