GPX file download to ZUMO 660

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by TRAVELGUY, Jan 20, 2015.

1. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    I searched for days in this thread for information on downloading a GPX file from SCORE, for a up coming race, to my ZUMO 660 and cannot find information on doing that.

Will the ZUMO 660 accept that type of file?

If so can someone send me a link to a post of how to do it?

Thanks;

TravelGuy
  2. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 590 but probably the same method.

Import the GPX file into Basecamp and then send it from the Basecamp to your Zumo. You will find the GPX in your imported route list in your Zumo. Just remember that Zumo treats it as a route and will attempt to recalculate. Turn off auto recalculate prior to opening the imported route. Zumo's always convert any tracks into routes.

That should be it.:deal

Jon
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Well, close but the zumo 660 is not like the zumo 590.

If the GPX file can be copied to the zumo 660 when connected to a computer using whichever file explorer you use. Just open the zumo 660 Garmin/GPX folder and copy your GPX file to that location. Disconnect the zumo from the computer and turn it on. Once the zumo 660 finishes it's boot you should get a message about new Routes IF there were routes in the GPX file. They will show up in the Custom Routes app. IF there were only Tracks and Waypoints in the GPX file you will need to manually import them. Open the Tools > My Data > Import New Data >, at this point you have two options for Tracks, you can import them using the Trip Log option and they will be converted to Routes and placed in the Custom Routes app OR you can use the Off Road Tracks option and they will be placed in the Off Road Tracks App (which only shows in the Menus if there are Tracks in the App).

Waypoints should be automatically imported upon Boot to your WhereTo? > Favorites app.
    Huzband and RCU2WYO like this.
  4. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Guys thanks for your input but I have the SCORE GPX file saved in my computer in a file but can not find a way to load it into MapSource so that I can download it into my ZUMO 660. I do not use BaseCamp do to being use to MapSource and can't get my copy of BaseCamp to work anyway. Been using GARMIN GPS's since 2006 but this is the first time I have needed to do this installation.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks;

TravelGuy
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Open MapSource, select FILE > Open > find your GPX file. Select it. Do what you want with it in MapSource and then select the Transfer to...with your zumo 660 connected, MapSource should see the zumo. You'll get a Popup window to select the Data types that are in the file (Routes, Tracks, Waypoints). Send.

Once the data is transferred, you will need to do as I noted above regarding Importing the Tracks.
  6. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!!!

These three easy steps worked, easily. When you check on the correct file, SCORE sends four different ones, it jumps into MapSource. I have it saved on a file in MapSource so that when I need it I can download to the ZUMO, had done that step before.

Again thanks to all for your assistance.

TravelGuy

7. RCU2WYO

RCU2WYO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan - just the information I needed to load the IBDR tracks into my 660LM!
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Keep a eye on the Wildfire status on http://inciweb.nwcg.gov. The west end of the Lolo Motorway (Nf500) is currently closed.
  9. RCU2WYO

RCU2WYO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do.... I'm headed to Mountain Home, ID and going to catch the IBDR from there.... Spoke to a friend in Bozeman last night and he said that a new system is coming in and may blow it out -- weather details indicate that winds are expected on Sunday -- we'll see....

The GPX load of the IBDR Tracks loaded just as explained - excellent - thanks!

-Stephen
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    As of Sunday, 30 Aug, all of the IDBDR roads are closed north of I-90.
  11. RCU2WYO

RCU2WYO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that detail Dan - was checking the incident map and it looked like there was a lot of fire activity SOUTH of I-90..... However, I may just divert and go to Jackson Hole and ride up in Yellowstone/Bozeman -- was really hoping to ride the Gravellies though....
  12. yamafitter

yamafitter Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer:
    Not Toronto therefore off the edge of the world
    For my Zumo 665 I have downloaded a gpx file directly to the Garmin folder on the SD Card in the Zumo. I then go to My Data in tools on the Zumo and import data then routes, click on those that I wish to import and then click on import.
  13. Phil.Ottawa

Phil.Ottawa Adventurer

Oddometer: