GPX FSE250R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Chadzu, May 25, 2018.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same exact engine, different fueling system and pretty much everything else is different. The LXR thread has mucho details.
    Bitingdog and Fallacy like this.
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based in the black dusty snot that came out of my lungs last night I decided to break down and wersh/swap the air filter with a spare. Lets just say the bucket bottom was covered in a layer of mud and silt after the first soapy rinse... I dont think I've changed this since the last oil change so near 30 hours of all dirt. Cant find any evidence any went thru though so good nuff!

Get back in here in another 20-30 hours I guess unless Im in a really bad, dusty group rip. The green is where its touches the side panel. Seen worse!

BDD0A464-70BD-4CC4-977B-0F32A168B1B0.jpeg
    Bitingdog, Dirtleg and Fallacy like this.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add another brake pedal to my kill list.... the last one Ive rebent trailside quite a few times. It hooked a log and was gone. Time to order another spare, though the replacement I had is the new HD style. Still better to have it waiting.

E2BB780B-61D5-44DD-B5BA-D41C3DBD98FB.jpeg
    Fallacy, Dirtleg and Bitingdog like this.
  4. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Phraym gapzzz?
    Fallacy, Dirtleg and Navin like this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Despite that I had to bend the brake pedal to snake in it place, then bend it back inward again. :lol3
    Fallacy, Dirtleg and Bitingdog like this.
  6. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You run snakes?
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah but I think Ive got one here somewhere... prob a good idea. Everything I hit it on is higher speed stuff like knifing around a log tip.
  8. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Croom? Spiderzzz and gatorzzz
    Fallacy, Bt10, Dirtleg and 1 other person like this.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    And sandy underpants!
    Bitingdog, Fallacy and Dirtleg like this.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since bad gas travels fast and everybody loves someone elses sad story I figured Id share mine.

Awhile ago I impaled the FSE250R on a log about fence post sized, went in and up, breaking off the fuel injector! And also tore out the fuel pump wire harness from a connector. I "fixed" the wire and happily ever after till last week I had to wiggle that same wire now n then, so I ordered a new one from GPX which of course is getting here today....

So naturally YESTERDAY it stopped running after a tip over and all the shrink wrap Id locked it together with prevented me from getting into the back end of that connector to reset the spade. A long walk/push followed. Florida is not good bike pushing terrain. Leg day was not skipped yesterday! [​IMG]

This is the offending lil wire. With tools handy I got it all apart, reset the spade/blade and its working again but when Fed Ex arrives the new one will snap in.

Typical dirt bike stuff. My wire repair was the blame. Id bet the connector got slightly damaged where the pin locked in. Id locked it with three heat shrinks but...

+65 hours now.

F4BFDA10-617A-4F5E-A6CD-5B1B12249E45.jpeg
  11. Elle2Konsai

Elle2Konsai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And this is why I've always championed carburetors! :hide

Sorry about ultra leg day but glad you got out safely and have an easy fix in the mail.

Unrelated but I found some new trails especially around the sw corner. Rode them along with an older dude on a 525.
    Bitingdog, Dirtleg and Navin like this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Id just ridden that loop a second time and was headed back. Died right by the SX track.... ten more minutes Ida bean guude!
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motocross day at Spyder MX in Florida on their vet/turn track. It started on the 350SXF and after one moto I switched to the FSE250R and didn't go back to the KTM. The 350 was too fast under my old butt for the tight, rutted track. No big jumps, lots of turns, a pounded whoop section I couldn't make any sense of, an abrupt wall thing right before a turn and a few muddy spots. Back to back the GPX felt heavy at first, but super forgiving.

She might get her first good bath now.

5B8C3D39-BEBC-40C0-A9EA-D6DB1CA41D01.jpeg 13113F87-942C-428D-9A2F-CA3167C880ED.jpeg
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Washed her and rode three hours of HS practice. Approaching 70 hours old now, had to snug the steering stem a half turn on the top nut and the original tire n tube picked up a pinch flat so a new tube and Motion Pro lite rim lock went in. Id bought that rim lock before the bike was delivered so the original looks crude (big 4 crude) but its been fine, pinch flat was opposite the lock.

Left the CST front tire, its still got good edges. Not bad rubber, Ive got new Michelin fronts waiting for a reason to go on.

And Ive managed to wear out the new and revalved WP shock a bit. She needed +4 clicks of reb and comp to keep my feet from dragging on big compressions. When it gets shaggy again it will go off for a servicing.

FA119745-E5AA-43BF-8D85-CD7B1ABEE921.jpeg 20945F33-FA5A-4E5F-8803-CF28F2383218.jpeg
    nycmx, MVI, Fallacy and 3 others like this.
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new WP shock made it about 60 hours and somewhere it lost all rebound damping. The original SZC is back in the belly of the beast and the WP on the way to Pro Tune to see what went wrong.

Damn the SZC feels great in the yard. The WP musta been slowly going south for awhile and it snuck up on me. I started dragging pegs/feet on jump landings with a rear end kick now n then, and went for more comp/red thinking the oil was getting shagged. Comp worked but reb was blown wide open. Zero!

57E0D3E0-A5F1-4637-B7EE-386CD527194D.jpeg
    Bitingdog, Fallacy and Dirtleg like this.
  16. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep riding hard enough to break shocks and you are going to fall down and break a hip or something. :lol3
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    070DF0CA-5555-4801-9022-288383B782F8.gif
    Bitingdog, jcmcc, Fallacy and 3 others like this.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The blown WP shock got a new SKF seal head from Pro Tune Suspension, said to be the ultimate fix. Swap out the original SZC shock its wearing now when the mood strikes. It seems to be doing everything it needs to do anyway.
    Bitingdog, Dirtleg and Fallacy like this.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rebuilt WP shock back in hand. Rode the stocker today and the biggest difference, it moves thru the stroke a bit more. Its also a little plusher, hardly a shock I had to replace frankly. Even the 1.5 lbs weight difference didn't matter IMO. Best thing about the WP is I had the SZC as a spare so the bike wasn't out of service.

Also got to chase my old Pitster LXR250f around, and the pilot WAILS on it! 4th gear tapped whoops with a barbed wire fence running next to us, yeah, good stuff! I seriously need to make slower friends.

76FDCD87-39CA-407C-9174-6BE27A937253.jpeg C4E62FD5-8879-4CE6-8D44-890A412E79D8.jpeg
    Dirtleg, Bitingdog and Fallacy like this.
  20. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you think a little less high speed compression would bring the SZC closer? I was thinking backing off the high for compliance and the low speed a little would help too to get the adjusters more in range. Rebound? Thoughts?

My playing with the SZC guts stopped when I became totally happy with my WP swap. We have similar sandy conditions I’m Michigan but probably more variation in whoop depth!
    Navin likes this.