GPX FSE250R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Chadzu, May 25, 2018.

1. Fallacy

Fallacy FFE inc. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey buddy! :thumb
    Fallacy and Bitingdog like this.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pre ride warm ups... hey, it is a 250F!

4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it would need slightly more rebound damping (5%?) and hmmm, Im trying to put a number on it, like 10-15% more low speed comp damping to match my revalved shock. As it sits now its controlled but more playful on the stock shock than Id prefer. I like fast spring action but this was more slow compression stuff, long dips down. How to get there, well Id ship it to Corey and pretty much tell him what I felt. :lol3

It was safe and predictable skimming or double/tripling fast whoop sections, and gave no drama on the tighter single track. As a do it all setting it was very good, the faster stuff here favors a MX set up but Im trying to avoid those wide super fast whooped sections. Gotta follow your friends though and there we were.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got some bad news regarding the 250f engine build at Thumper Racing.... seems they are shutting their business down. Phone messages no longer taken, Ive put an email in to see what n where the NC250 they have is and what the next step is.

One of their techs might be doing his own thing but no info yet. Ive grown to like this engine in the trails as delivered anyway but Im still curious what it would feel like if it was exploiting its potential. More to follow when I know.

6D1C3A3D-B814-4685-8AB3-2864D7D74AB4.jpeg
    Bitingdog, Fallacy and Dirtleg like this.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    A year and 75 hours on the tires, front OEM CST is still looking new and it hooks up great so it stays. The rear driving edge rolled and we lost a few mm of knob height so rather than flip it Im passing it on to a buddy to burn up.

The FSE enduroish power delivery sure is easy on rubber. It wont spins a tire unless its 100% demanded.

Wheel seals got a finger of WP grease, wiped everything down, lubed the axle and see you next year or in about 50 hours for a drive set.

05A89870-1EA1-4DDA-A39F-5AB98D8D4E20.jpeg
    Dirtleg, Bitingdog and Fallacy like this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I'd assume sand is pretty easy on tires.
    Dirtleg and Navin like this.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Sand and soft loam in the trees. Nice to not have knobs torn off after every ride. :lol3
  9. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do miss buying tires every two years instead of every two rides. But I don't miss the trail spiders and yucca plants.
    MVI, Dirtleg, Fallacy and 2 others like this.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumper Racing update on NC3XX engine.

Good news! Travis is going to continue the NC3XX engine development on his own after the dust settles from closing the business!

So its not dead yet! Details as they come, thinking its about five weeks out from him getting back in there to spec it all up.
    Lutz, Rusty Rocket, Bt10 and 5 others like this.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    30 minutes into a 2 hour HS practice and where did the rear brake go? Back to the truck and it came n went randomly as I lowered the pace. Still original brake fluid but Id pulled a teaspoon of it out of the caliper last week and it was black so my own fault.

Bled it till it came out clean, back out to beat on it. Finished the day strong so GPX factory rear brake fluid lifespan is about 75.5 hours under my foot! Im not gonna touch the front till it at least fades a bit. It is still harder hitting than my 2018 KTMSXF Brembos.

BB12D571-4D68-4C19-9CEE-0CA054CC049F.jpeg
    Dirtleg and Fallacy like this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right side panel was loose yesterday, pulled her off and the wood/plastic screw holding the sub panel was gone. Another nickel lost!

Tossed in freshy filter too. Dust has been brutal in Fla.

B45315DC-0EB0-4B1B-AAD7-E03670F9F929.jpeg 16F8418E-36D3-436F-8AD8-CA3CE5BF0FF5.jpeg 2A141434-8F23-4C11-8E26-5FB196D36779.jpeg
    Fallacy and Dirtleg like this.
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Retired the dirty FSE250R today. But a few hours shy of my 100 hours goal I got a bug up my ass and converted it to full time motard. My full master/caliper radial Brembo conversion interfered with the spokes on the GPX 17s so shelved. SZC forks back on over the AERs, Renazco tall seat, 49T rear covers local highways but taller -2/3/4 is going to happen. Feels brutish on the roads, in a good way. Well, as brutish as 28ish HP can throwin pops and bangs out the pipe on downshifts.

52A049B3-E486-4366-BCE6-1ABF19F1C820.jpeg 363DB8D2-FD6F-4463-B168-DEF8B3B13B58.jpeg
    Dirtleg, Franque, GlennR and 2 others like this.
  14. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Which bike is next on your list? Are you planning to try the 450? That would be even mo' fun with motards! :ricky
    Dirtleg and Navin like this.
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might go back to a TSE, the 450 is a really nice option too, or even another one of these in 300cc. Im totally up in the air. Outside chance of a 125/150 f.i. bunger cause though its really nice, its not quite twice the price nice. Or a 100cc project? IDK. Almost bought a street bike in the last few weeks and said WTF? I have unused street wheels and a sweet seat in the shop and the FSER is tagged. I think the street phase is going to pass quickly. This will roll at 75/80 MPH where the retro FSE250 E is better kept in town.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swapped on a new 45T (was 49) rear and chopped the chain. Now 6th is an OD and first is useable from a stop on 17s. Engine likes 3900/4200 cruise which is putting me from 60-70 MPH in total RPM comfort. Top speed is in fifth gear, sitting up it will get near 80 until drag stops it going faster, and Im not going to get in a tuck anyway.

Its a better trail ripper than street bike. It looks nasty in SM trim but fills the same role as my Retro E does. See how it goes in the next months. She might end up back in knobs or oot the door for another trail machine.
    Dirtleg and Fallacy like this.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    From GPX posted in FB.

Front wheel spacer update options....
    Applies to 2019-2021 TSE and FSE 250-450 models sold before June or 2021, ALL models sold after June 2021 will have these updates installed!
    -Option 1) Front wheel spacer update, includes two wheel spacers with increased bearing support length, Use coupon code "Update Kit" and MUST include last four of your vin number in the notes section for the free set of spacer. (excludes shipping fees)
    Option 2) Front wheel spacer update, includes two wheel spacers, two wheel bearings, two axle seals, and front hub sleeve. Use coupon code "Update Kit" and include the last 4 of your vin in the notes section. Discount applies to the wheel spacers but charges for the additional bearings, sleeve and seals. Links provided below....

Ive replaced one front wheel bearing @120 hours... this has never seemed to be a problem IMO but the updated spacers are Euro style in that they capture the center sleeve so better regardless.
    Dirtleg, Fallacy and Rusty Rocket like this.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Henner Racing has offered me a ported NC250/300 head to test/review so the plan is to pop it on and get a few days trail riding up in Georgia.

Supposed to be near 4 HP gain. Funny I still haven't even added the 300 kit.
    More to follow...
    Dirtleg, Fallacy and Rusty Rocket like this.
  19. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

A big HP boost and Hills all in the same ride! :ricky
    Navin and Dirtleg like this.
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its gonna be strange!

Rode my redirtifued FSE250R Sunday with another advripperrrrrrr. Gotta say after using the SXF350 last trail ride it felt like the emergency brake was pulled when we'd get in higher gears. But oh the glorious power delivery of the NC250. Tractable, controllable, thick torque. Clutch slap, over a big log without ever getting too much power. Let that front tire bite and push it thru a corner with grip galore. Glanced at my tacho, 2600-4600 RPM, most often right in the 3500 zone and loading it hard with WFO. Gronkish power. Worry about the lines, and the trees. The engine is never a factor.

Our average speed over two loops was 15 MPH. Enduro perfection.
    Dirtleg, Elle2Konsai and Fallacy like this.