GPX FSE250R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Chadzu, May 25, 2018.

1. Elle2Konsai

Elle2Konsai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    advripperrrrr is definitely an improvement over noob :)

And don't forget the sweet 5 minute tube change!
    Bitingdog, Fallacy and Navin like this.
  2. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210718_193910.jpg I tried to take my front axle off this afternoon to do some maintenance and the end "cap" thing stripped out. The axle will spin, but will not come out. It won't budge, it won't thread off, the bike is basically 100% useless at this point ........a $5k+ paper weight.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tap the tip of a large screwdriver into the splits of the axle lugs at 90 degrees to the axle to spread them open ****SLIGHTLY****. Then tap the axle out. Ive had mine on and off over n over. Thats not typical of these bikes at all. Lube n regular maintenance are required, that stripping took some effort...is that the axle nut in your hand?

Edit, I went and looked at mine. Thats just the axle cover. Unscrew the axle nut opposite that a few threads, then tap it inward with a soft mallet. If you want you can still spread the lugs described above but it shouldn't be required if the axle has seen servicing and grease.
    AZ TOM and Bitingdog like this.
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then just lock tite that cap back in the axle and find a new paperweight. :imaposer
    AZ TOM, Bitingdog and LJC like this.
  5. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried, it just spins an doesn't back out any. The entire axle spins freely, but will not come out.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Sometimes you have to jiggle the axle lug on the right side into alignment, where the cap came off. The axle only goes out in one direction, towards where your pic was taken. A rap on the axle nut unscrewed a few mm should move it. Then unscrew it another few mm and repeat.
  7. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't move in any direction, left or right. It will spin freely, but no movement.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

You are hitting the axle nut after loosening it away from the axle lug about 3-4mm? The pinch bolts are loose on both sides?

Not sure on my GPX but the KTM has a 8mm head thing under the axle nut that I push with a T handle (if its sticky) but only after I pop the axle over with a hammer tap first.
  9. Franque

Franque Nilé na sohakélwa manga

Oddometer:
    If there's a nut on one side (and the thing that came out on the other side), tighten the axle clamps back up, and loosen the nut, then remove.
    Bitingdog and Rusty Rocket like this.
  10. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got! Thanks. Bro, it's been one of those days. During my rip this morning I noticed the front tire was seated evenly and it appeared the rim lock slipped. I did another project on my porch and started off on the wrong foot with it also.
  11. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Have the GPX bikes gotten the DOHC NC250 engine yet?
  12. Jon@Camano

[email protected] Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for some help/advice. I just picked up a 2021.5 300 FSE. Bike does not hold an idle for long, flames out often, and does not restart easily. Rode it about 25 miles on the trails today and was hoping it would improve but no luck. It had the baffle removed and a spark arrestor installed. It seems very lean and is almost not ridable on the trails. Any suggestions? The bike seems to be well put together and I can not see GPX selling a bike that runs this poorly. Looks like Gary at GPX Moto is on vacation this week.

Jon
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    New or used? Start with cleaning the injector and checking intake boots are all properly sealed and tight. And even though Im still running an original plug (at 112 hours) someone just changed out a cracked plug on a new Zong engine so Id toss in a new NGK EIX plug (one has been sitting in my dashboard cup holder for over a year). Next Id check the valves, again Ive yet to check mine but worth doing if the problem continues.

@GlennR the next FSE300R bikes inbound are DOHC Zongshen 300s. Two or three months away I believe.

C7F5A221-EC5A-45BB-BE19-83048522AD05.png
  14. Jon@Camano

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Navin. Already checked the injector and replaced the spark plug. Tomorrow, will try a different ECU at the dealer. Will check the valves if the ECU does not cure it. The bike was new and has about 30 miles. Will report back when the problem is solved.

Jon
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    They like to be cold started without throttle and run for fifteen minutes, no throttle to set the baseline tune. Maybe disconnect the battery for ten minutes and give that a try.
    Bitingdog and Fallacy like this.
  16. Jon@Camano

Oddometer:
    Got my 300 back from Dealer yesterday. Injector, rubber intake manifold was first replaced due to very lean and poor running, backfiring and constant stalling Still was not right. My throttle body was replaced and it was much better but still not running well with a lot of flameouts. What made everything right was replacing the exhaust baffle as suggested by my dealer. I had originally removed the baffle to install a Fisch spark arrestor for woods riding.

Would like to see Gary offer an accessary muffler with spark arrestor that was much quieter than what came with the bike.

Very happy with Frank (from Frank's Motorbikes) for sorting out my 300R. When he receives the ARacer ECUs, we will install one to get the engine better tuned and remove its lean running character.

Jon
    GlennR likes this.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to cross 120 hours on the FSE250R next ride. It spent yesterday in a cool, glorious driving rain at Croom Moto Park in Florida with a buddy on a brand new XC250 tpi. After setting up an idle screw and mini tach when I first got it, adding my WP suspension and bark busters, well its not needed but tires and oil. Crash damage took out the injector, and it might have lost a spoke at some point. I end up in a lot of dead fall though. My spokes are always tight after my initial wheel prep.

After we finished I took the KTM for a short loop. Dang they got the f.i. figured out, and he had the faster throttle spool in it but its clearly far more motor than Id ever want again. Discussion after went to what Id buy next. Im still tempted by a TE150tpi or f.i. 125 but I think Im fully converted to super mellow power now. A TSE at near half the price of the Husky makes more sense. The GPX FSE DOHC 300 would be a contender too but...

... this FSE is showing no signs of quitting. Im going to throw an oil change at her soon just cause I cant recall the last time I did. Clutch is still getting slammed and working fine. Heck, its still running the original grips. So if it blew up, Id probably just drop a new $1300 300cc engine in her. I still prefer this composite subframe anyway compared to the new gen aluminum. More flex is easier on the old bod.

And I still haven't changed that darned original spark plug. The new NGK-IEX plug is on my dash forever blocking my cup holder.

91FEAC47-58FC-4FF1-BFD4-4D792340DBF7.jpeg
    stumpmj, Dirtleg, Fallacy and 3 others like this.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally broke down and installed the iridium plug I had on my van dash since before I got this bike. 132 hours on the stock plug, good enough. Still not even looking at the valves.

0BBDD52B-A13F-4727-9A0C-E328B6BC9503.jpeg
    C8EE18D2-8057-4ADC-A044-AFD533F59A19.jpeg

And unsticking her from a buried rear wheel in a deep ravine, a subframe insert popped, buddy pulled the bike by the fender so no surprise. Gooping the insert wasn't working so it got the trials bike zip ty treatment, better than new. Spare subframe will sit on the shelf for another disaster.

I could have pulled it down a bit further and made the threaded insert stick but quick n dirty was dandy.
    A990F2E8-68FF-4561-88A2-F9D0501EEAB8.jpeg
    Fallacy and Moshaholic2 like this.
  19. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    The new 300cc twin cams are here.

Picking mine up in a few days. Screenshot_20211023-131538_Chrome.jpg
    Navin likes this.
  20. Franque

Franque Nilé na sohakélwa manga

Oddometer:
    @Navin you certainly got your money's worth with the stock plug, I'm a bit surprised it was running alright with the plug in that shape.
    Navin likes this.