GPX FSE300R - official?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Moshaholic2, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Jory

Jory Really? Is it Really?

Oddometer:
    Folks -

Will be running the NMBDR next year and wanted input on what might be the better bike.

BACKGROUND:

56 years old. 6 '0, 225 geared up.
    40 years of motorcycling experience.
    Have ridden parts of the NMBDR on a WR450F couple of years ago (Chloride Canyon Loop)
    Currently ride a 2016 Super Tenere - 98% long distance road rides. Have ridden it on forrest roads comfortably. Not interested in handling the big girl on 7 days of NMBDR.

I'll be taking my two boys (25 & 28) on this trip. They have vastly less motorcycling experience and will most like be riding Yamaha XT250's. (Short statured like their mother)

QUESTION

So for me, it's between the Yamaha WR250R and the new GPX FSE300R. Cost really not a factor (A good used WR is roughly the same as a new FSR300R). I know the Yamaha is rock solid reliable. I don't plan to be doing any Nac Nac's off of any features but might want to get into a bit of challenging terrain on the trip.

I realize this is the GPX forum - but if possible would like to hear from anyone who has owned, ridden or compared both these bikes (or the GPX 250).

Thanks All.
    Navin likes this.
  2. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Honestly either will do you fine. GPX is a little bit lighter and might have 1-2hp more. But, the Yami will have a little less engine vibes.

The suspension on the GPX has more adjustability stock... vs more aftermarket support (off the the shelf "kits") for the yami suspension.

If you do go with GPX. Its highly advised to blue locktite your handle bar bolts, front brake caliper bolts, shift lever bolt, triple clamp bolts. Its a combo of the factory not thoroughly doing it (you'll notice some bolts have it others dont) and probably using different bolt suppliers all the time vs. the Japanese brands that actually make all their parts themselves.

Its seriously a 20-30 min job and then you're golden.

I've owned the WR250F and I'd say the GPX is at minimum comparable with that (just slightly heavier) . I feel the GPX is faster though.

I bought mine to replace my wifes CRF250L which is the closest comparison to the WR250R... it blows the CRF250L out of the water in pretty much every category.

I hate facebook.... but most GPX info is contained in the GPX official group on there.

People are now even using a different bikes aftermarket ECU that has a bluetooth tuning APP to get more from the engines (they are lean from the factory like most bikes these days)

You will have to add a spark arrestor though, as it does not come with a forest approved one.

MVI, Bt10 and Navin like this.
  3. Jory

Jory Really? Is it Really?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mosh -

Appreciate the thorough answer.

My youngest is actually in Salt Lake, I've asked him to go down to Lindon and take a look at the bikes down at GPX. I know they build out a smaller wheeled 250, so asked him to sit on it and see what he thinks. He's 5' 4".

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give me your thoughts as someone who has owned both.

Jory
    Moshaholic2 and Navin like this.
  4. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:

My wife is also 5'4"/5'5" and can sit on the FSE300R fine. She can not flatfoot. But, if she scoots a cheek off the side she can.

The suspension on mine came with the pre-load cranked (fine for my fat ass) . As soon as I backed off the preload there was plenty of sag for her to reach. I bought the lowering link just in case . But so far haven't bothered.

Will likely go with a seat concepts low comfort seat for her rather than use a lowering link. (KTM is the pattern for the 2021.5 GPX 300 and 450... husky is the design for the earlier FSE250R, TSE250R)
    Jory likes this.
  5. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the lower kit for the 250E when I ordered the bikes. I thought my wife was going to need it, but she doesn't. After adjusting the suspension she's able to to touch the ground, but not flat footed.

We finally got a decent amount of snow to move the sleds from our storage building to the garage. I'm dropping in new motor mounts, handguards and new sliders on my Assault. I thought I was going to park my bikes in the corner all winter, but I was informed that Maine keeps its "ATV" trails open year round in the southern counties. If things go as planned, I'll have the best of both worlds! Well, except for shoveling snow and plowing

Attached Files:

Jory, Moshaholic2 and Navin like this.
  6. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Time to break out the studded tires!
    BUNK657 likes this.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gary is putting on a group GPX/Pitster camp/ride in Utah and Im doing the same on whatever Saturday of the week in April or May that he chooses, at Croom ORVP in Fla... a group in FB is trying to get one going in the center of the country. More to follow as it develops.
  8. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're in Maine and we've been planning on going to FL this year (I'm from Jacksonville). Keep me posted!
    Navin likes this.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Gary set his ride dates n Utah at April 22-24 so our Florida ride at Croom will match it on Saturday, April 24 unless we get everyone to do it on Friday the 23rd?

Croom has a $15 per bike per day gate.
    Moshaholic2 likes this.
  10. RobFox

RobFox n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been looking everywhere for a 12T front sprocket for my FSE 300R. It does not seem to exist, very strange. It might slow me some but I would rather be able to run up on a log and pull the front up. If anyone knows where to get one please reply. Thanks
  11. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    DRZ400 12T is what people have used on the front.

Not sure of part #
  12. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Still having fun on the FSE300R.

Added Tusk shifter (part # 1030850079) which is makes shifting easier for anyone with a larger than size 8 boot.

20210507_142611.jpg

20210508_111539.jpg
  13. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing on mine. Also, I put on a set of Tusk Recon Hybrids with Nitromousse. They work freaking great! I'm thinking now I'll do the DRZ 12 tooth front sprocket. Anyone know from what year DRZ?

14. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Stolen from the facebook group

Screenshot_20210513-123122_Facebook.jpg
    BUNK657 likes this.
  15. RobFox

RobFox n00b

Oddometer:
    Cannot find a 12T anywhere. My new 300 will not wheelie and that's not good when running up on a log across the trial. Need more gas on throttle flick. Sent email to EJK hoping they have a unit that will work with this bike. If anyone comes across a 12T please post a link. Thanks
  16. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
  17. RobFox

RobFox n00b

Oddometer:
  18. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put the JT Sprocket 12 tooth on mine today. I played around a little in my yard, but couldn't really give it a good test. The trails in our area don't open until Memorial day weekend. I'll give an update once I can get a good run with it.
  19. BUNK657

BUNK657 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've gotten in two ride with 12 tooth front sprocket. I don't really notice much of a difference other that 1st and 2nd are now very short. It really didn't add torque like I thought it would.

Other than the Aracer Mini, has anyone had any luck with finding an EFI tuner for the Delphi injection?
  20. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Man... I thought it was too short geared stock with the 13/52 set up and now run 13/50

What terrain are you riding? I still feel I can pop over logs and 1-2' rock ledges fine with my current gearing.

What air filter are you running? Have you changed to an NGK plug? have you drilled out the DB killer some more? My stock bike felt choked up some until I made those changes.

Aracer is still the only one as far as I know. I got one and tried the 300r map that is on the facebook group. I think it was a little too lean for my particular bike as I had too many decel pops for my liking. (all bikes run different) and I was scared to mess with the settings too much myself so I swapped back to the stock ECU. I have ridden with the guy who had the map created on the dyno and it is dead on for his bike, his bike rips. He lives in denver, I live up higher so I figured his map would be fairly close to right for me.
    Navin likes this.