GPX TSE250R 2T Enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Someones gotta be the one to post up the opposite end of the spectrum here. :lol3 I'm not exactly one to go all debbie downer, but it seems like its foolish to only sing praises, or glance over issues\weak areas. I mean you go on the facebook group, and if anyone asks about the bikes, it seems they can do no wrong. Post something contrary to popular opinion and well...you're wrong or just ignored. Reality is, there is not a single brand without their low points, and when you're talking about a new brand, which is a knockoff of several other brands, coming in from china, at a budget price point......well that there is a recipe for there being some potential issues.

This is not to say that what GPX has done so far isn't huge and substantial. It's impressive what they've done in short time, which I assume is largely due to their history with the Pitster importing stuff. But let's not ignore the elephants in the room, or pretend that there are not teething issues.

There are still some legit questions that are left out in left field:
    Is GPX (usa) driving the bike brand\models\etc, or is this mostly up to the factory in China?
    Will the bikes ever be modeled into something of their own? IE, no longer using KTM\Husky stuff, and with a unique look\identity?
    Are service manuals ever going to be a thing, or just assume with being a "budget brand" to....Deal With it?
    If 100+ TSE's in the US, am I the only person that has the slightest concern over a spark arrestor on forest land?
    Will the knockoff Mikuni\Keihin stuff ever be rebranded to not misrepresent what they actually are?

And yes, I know its rare to have a company directly respond to us right online here, and have such instant feedback.

Meanwhile......I've added an LED bulb to my headlight.
    upload_2019-10-16_8-32-32.png
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm..... mentioned all this before but...

Rubber hoses n bushings suck.

Protect the shifter shaft with a soft shift lever like any other HonKawSuzYam basic engine.

Grease your bolts in brass bushings.

The manual is your cel phone. Nothing that you can’t find and a spec for anything odd, justcall GPX, (don’t email.:lol3) Gary will get you an answer for the shim spec of fifth gear if you need it, or Yamaha DT 230 manuals will work.

FA227F62-16FB-42F2-B205-9066940E2A31.png
    Bitingdog and Fallacy like this.
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    A KTM/Husky chassis torque sheet from any linkage bike post 2016 will do the rest.
  4. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I like how their pic shows the photocopy version of the manual you can DL for free on the intert00bs. :lol3 Though I've noted a few hiccups there with referencing the Yamaha manual for this non-yamahayamaha engine. There are some slight differences, maybe updates in how current factory is doing things. :dunno

And unfortunately you're highlighting what I've noted. It's a mix n match, and you gotta go around to a handful of different sources to get the information you want. Or call 1 person who has the information. Not a problem if you know & understand this going in. I don't have a yuuge issue with this, but surely one can understand how the average rider, it may be a problem. :dunno

Which shifter is the one you last went with? I may snag one for my ride this weekend.
    Fallacy, nuggets and Navin like this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m using an Emgo for an old YZ125, I will look for the pn. If you gots big feet a steel folding tip CRF50 +1” is a nice option too. It was a little too long for me.

Yeah, it’s different having these, but it’s not thrown me any bad experiences. New brand, new bike, I kinda think the few bugs are insignificant. Worst trait is resale, and that will be what it will be. I don’t think I could sell a TM 144 EN on CList or to “manybody” either. :lol3
    Bitingdog, Fallacy and andrewgore like this.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fallacy likes this.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    @andrewgore

Note that’s not the +1” shifter sooooo.... add an inch if you want the ergos in hand bud.
  8. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I've got big feet, but don't feel the need for the shifter to be any longer than stock. :dunno
    IMS option of the 91 YZ125: https://www.amazon.com/IMS-317317-F...1_1?keywords=ims+317317&qid=1571242150&sr=8-1

Also got some mesh here I can use for a spark arrestor. Gotta wait for the lathe to open up before I can turn up an insert to fit in the exhaust.
    Fallacy and Navin like this.
  9. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    I would say that GPX is having a say in how the bikes develop. The biggger tank, the improved pipe are direct results of GPX asking for them. The 450 is another example. Gary has been to China multiple times this year to approve the final design. They haven't got it right yet as far as Gary is concerned so he refuses to sign off on the bikes until they become something he can feel good about selling. The guy gets credit from me for that. I know that Gary takes it personally when his products don't live up to expectations. The gas cap thing was embarrassing, and he moved pretty quick to take care of his customers. I know GPX has learned a lot with this first model year. Pretty good product all things considered.

You are 100% right that there have been issues. Your bike seems to have had more than its share.
    I am not aware of a single motor failure. I am not aware of a single frame failure. I am aware of exactly one subframe failure. I am aware of exactly one fork failure.
    When you consider that there are three distinct models and very few significant reliability problems I have to give them a pretty good score overall.

There are real legal issues with providing spark arrestors. Their hands are tied for the moment. The yz250 doesn't have one either, nobody calls Yamaha corporate and decries foul about it.
    The aftermarket will provide when it makes sense for them to do so. Until then owners need so show pioneering spirit. That is a turn off for many. Any potential owner needs to know up front that there will be some challenges with early adoption. I think its fun to innovate and problem solve, so I am a good fit I guess.
  10. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I understand the legal issues with regards to spark arrestors. It's goofy as all getup how the rules are, and I understand it's essentially on the aftermarket to handle this. It rubs me a bit that it was initially something that was supposed to come out, and a rub when there are factory demo's done in areas which require spark arrestors, and pretty safe to assume not a single TSE out there had the required arrestor. But to each their own.

But that is what it is. I pulled my end cap off today, and worked in a screen of steel mesh with a max opening per the forestry specs (under 0.024" or something?). I formed it around a 3/4" piece of round stock, and then had it held in place between the end cap and the center silencer section internally. Not perfectly legit, but would pass the poke test. Some new 3\16" rivets and back in action.

Also got my YZ shifter in today. I'll get that mounted up before I head out for the weekends ride.
    upload_2019-10-17_13-7-54.png
  11. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the muffler is a KTM/Husky or Yamaha knockoff, just knowing which design they stol ....... er....... copied would likely be enough to score the right PMB Endo to make these things USFS legal.
    Dirtleg and Navin like this.
  12. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I'd have to get on the phone with PMB. I posted dimensions of the stocker awhile back & pics. Barely ridden this year, so it fell by the wayside.
    3.1" x 3.665"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    The profile of the GPX can is different from KTM. No one has found a bolt on solution.
    There are very few parts that are stol.......er......copied exactly.
    On the spark arrestor front, it would take 20 minutes to adapt a TC2 from a KTM to the TSE. THen you would have a stamped fully legit unit.

My FSE was never operated on public lands without a spark arrestor. I installed the FMF screen the week I got the bike.
  14. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the stamp I would care about over the function. That is all rangers look for around here. I had to put a PMB Endo on the SXC muffler on my 640 after getting a warning from a USFS ranger. I am pretty sure it is a spark arrested muffler. But it didn't have that stamp. No USFS stamp = ticket.
    Dirtleg likes this.
  15. MuirR

MuirR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive never even been checked here for a spark arrestor, only offroad stickers (gotta pay the man ). I plan to either buy a ktm/husky turbine core or possibly look at modifying the one I have (Still in its packaging) for a yz 250 since the tse only needs a tiny piece of mid pipe.

Luckily I know a few welders if want to make it look pretty...

Also, put a deposit down for one today!
    nuggets and Navin like this.
  16. OUTERLIMITS

OUTERLIMITS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't own one (yet), but a big fan of GPX. I will say though, not having a factory manual is a crime. We know you can refer to HUsky Manuals and DT230 manuals, but they need to have their own. This should be important to GPX, no one said they had to be free. Torq specs for one thing are going to be different between Japanese/Euro fasteners and Chinese fasteners, let's be honest.
    GlennR and Padilen like this.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The hardware is all but identical. Looks to come from the same place and all the sizes match, I.e. front axle and XYZ fits right in my KTM. Far and away superior hardware than your typical Big 4 bikes have.

If you can get your hands on one I’d suggest you take it apart. It’s as nice as my 350 to pull down and wrench on. On my LXR250f I was replacing (shit) bolts just to trust it. The GPX is Euro level on this point.
    Fallacy and OUTERLIMITS like this.
  18. volkoff

volkoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tse.jpg

Attached Files:

• blue.jpg
      blue.jpg
      File size:
      169.9 KB
      Views:
    nycmx, Bitingdog, Lutz and 1 other person like this.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    volkoff likes this.
  20. volkoff

volkoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    James.
    Thank you. Your blue inspired me to get a little blue in my life. looking to replace some of the oil lines,(already did the carb heater thermostat delete) I re-routed line from oil tank to motor. As far as oil pump goes, there is the black line from the oil tank to motor and then the clear from motor to carb. Am I missing something? These are the only two carrying oil? the rest would be fuel line? One more thing, comparing this to my KDX hybrid it really feels like someone has tied a tow strap to my back at crawling speed (PA slow single track 1st and 2nd gear). Lofting front wheel is work not nearly as effortless as the KDX220 motor. TSE jetting is stock and not sure what that would even be. I know pipe, carb etc will open her up but I really love how quiet she is, and oh yea how butter smooth compared to the KDX. I will say when the KDX is idling it feels like things are going to get violent, and they do (kinda like that feeling).
    Navin likes this.