GPX TSE250R 2T Enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you’re originating a registration here, Wisconsin is a crap shoot. Sometimes the proper wording is sufficient, other times they play the VIN game. I know guys that have walked right through with various bikes, and others that were stopped dead in their tracks.

And the MI loophole closed a bit ago. I tried to work that one myself in Menominee, and again in Manistique, on a bike, and I even had a valid MI mailing address. But I couldn’t prove residency, which is now required. So I went the SD route. Which I also hear is in jeopardy of being lost for non-residents. In fact, I know of a guy on another forum that was was denied a plate in SD last month.

[​IMG]

The folks at Dirt Legal still swear Vermont is a valid option. I actually saw a bike in northern WI last week...a newer Beta 2-stroke...with a VT plate. So that could maybe be an option if all else fails.
  2. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I had a XR650R back in the day that I transferred to WI (from MN) no problem but then I hear stories about the gov't revoking registration on bikes that have been legal for years. It seems like title transfers are fairly safe but it would sure suck to have a brand new bike I cant really ride. Maybe the safe bet is finding one already plated.
    Bitingdog and Dirtleg like this.
  3. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you live near a DMV that’s not Milwaukee, Madison, or Fox Cities? If so might be worth a phone call and play dumb...see what kind of response you get.
    Fallacy, Bitingdog, jcmcc and 2 others like this.
  4. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good call. I'm in Madison but find myself up north pretty frequently. I bet a DMV up in the northwoods would be more likely to push the paperwork through
    Dirtleg, Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  5. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have gained a great amount of information with the front hub/wheel bearings in the last few weeks that I can share with the group

A little back story, I bought my TSE 250 used, when I got it, both the front and rear wheel bearings had some play.

My level of experience with working on bikes is fairly advanced, at 58 years old, I’ve spent most of my life working on bikes, motorcycles, cars and industrial equipment, I’ve rebuilt RD 350 and 400 engines from the bottom end up, restored several bikes over the years, owned and wrenched on BMW’s from my old airhead to modern K bikes and oil head R bikes.

I’ve owned quite a few KTM in the last 20 years, from my 99 200EXC to RFS’s, 625 SXC and a 950 Super Enduro. I’ve been riding since I was 6 years old when my father brought home a brand new 68 Honda Mini Trail.

Back to my new to me bike, the PO (a great guy btw) came with a bunch of spares including half a dozen rear wheel bearings

I tore down the rear hub and replaced the stock (?) bearings, I was impressed at the three bearing arrangement in the rear hub with doubled up full sized bearings on the drive side. I installed the new rear bearings and moved o. To the front.

I found the front axle nut wasn’t all that tight (more on this later, as I figured out why the axle wouldn’t stay torqued)

So I piped out the seals and cleaned everything up, since I didn’t have new front wheel bearings, I inspected the old ones and found them smooth, I noticed that the wheel spacers engage with the inner race of the front wheel bearings instead of the axle, I found out this is a copy of KTM’s design so that you can interchange front wheels between bikes that have either 22mm a les and 26mm axles.

I wasn’t impressed with the way the spacers just barely were the width of the inner race.

So I cleaned up the front hub, added a little grease around the bearings and put it back together, the play in the bearings was much better with the axle properly torqued.

I rode the bike for a few hours and after washing and cleaning it up, I found the front wheel with play in it. Instead of tearing it down, I checked the axle torque again and found it loose. I torqued it up and went riding, a couple miles into the ride I lost the right side wheel bearing.

When I tore it down, I found the bearing had come apart and the balls got between the center spacer and inner hub and scored the hell out of the center spacer.

I made a call to Gary and Jeff at Pister, they didn’t have the center spacer, they offered to sell me a new wheel but I think they said it would be $499 complete.
    I told them I wanted to get all the pieces in box 5 of the fishe for the front hub, they told me it would take some digging to get me everything.

So I waited, after a week I called, nothing yet, I waited another week and called, nothing.

In the mean time I started doing my own digging, the Tusk Impact wheel bearing set had a center spacer, RMATV was out of stock until August 25, no dice there, I found a set on eBay, bought them only to have the seller cancel my order. He actually didn’t have any in stock to sell me.

I found a complete KTM front wheel from a 250 XC, the seller was asking $125 with make and offer in his buy it now, I offered $115 and he accepted, a few days later I got the wheel and found out the seller was wrong when I asked him if it had a 22mm axle or a 26mm. So I bought a AllBalls 22mm spacer set and bolted up my new complete wheel which came with a good Pirrelli MX Scorpion, rotor, axle and spacers.

Buy this time RMATV had the Tusk Impact bearing kit in stock, so I ordered that

All along I talked to Pister and they still didn’t have anything for me yet.

I also bought a new set of Japanese front wheel bearings from Amazon

What I learned from looking at the KTM wheel spacers is that the part flange that engages the inner race is longer than the GPX spacers, the KTM spacers go though the inner race and inside the center spacer to keep it aligned with the inner races of the bearings. On the GPX spacers, the center spacer just floats around in the hub and can get out of alignment with the inner races, this is really bad for the bearings because the center spacer is what the inner races are supported by when you tighten the axle nut.

The GPX hub is shorter across than both the KTM hub and the Tusk Impact hub, I got my Tusk kit today, the center spacer was longer than the GPX spacer, after installing the new bearings in the GPX hub, I used a depth mic and found the center spacer should be 69mm, I had to cut the Tusk spacer to size and completed the bearing and seal installation.

Back to the spacers, the AllBalls spacer are the same length on both sides, the GPX spacers are two different sizes, so I will have to have my machinist friend make me a custom spacer like the KTM style so that it goes clear thought the inner race and inside the center spacer.

For now, I’m using one AllBalls spacer on the right side of the wheel so the center spacer stays aligned and the original GPX spacer on the disk rotor side.

Btw, I just got a voicemail from Pister, they finally have the parts, about $90 worth with shipping, I thought GPX parts were cheap?

I bought the Tusk wheel bearing kit with two bearings, two seals and the center spacer for $28 shipped and the AllBalls spacers for $26 shipped, hell I got a complete used KTM front wheel with tire and brake rotor fir $150 shipped! IMG_6646.jpg
    View attachment 2513853 hooo View attachment 2513869
    Franque, Bitingdog and Dirtleg like this.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the spacer tubes were different as I had one front bearing go bad on my red TSE at about 120 hours. Im 99% sure its mentioned in here and maybe on post #1? The blue one is at 250 hours now on original bearings!

That $499 may have been for two wheels? The hub kit price sounds wrong but Ive not needed any parts in the "new age" of today so maybe prices have shot upwards?

Edit, adding the center spacer size to the sticky!
    Damifino and Bitingdog like this.
  7. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't remember exactly what the wheel price was, but it was for the front only, but I believe it was complete with tire, tube and brake disk, but it was over $400. The $89 with shipping is after a "discount" and was for the center spacer, the wheel spacers, wheel bearings and seals, I was able to buy all of these pieces for a little over $50 including shipping from two different vendors. I have a dilemma now about the parts that have now come in after three weeks at Pister, the only part that I would actual want from what they got for me is the center spacer, I don't trust the "no name" bearings that were in the hub, I assume that is what is in the parts kit and the wheel spacers are worthless in my opinion because the do no engage the center spacer. I feel bad that they ordered for me, but I'd be throwing most of the parts in the trash if I buy them. IMG_6647.JPG
  8. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Maybe share your findings with @Pitster. They seem very dedicated to improving their products, and this could aid them going forwards
    Dirtleg, Navin and Fallacy like this.
  9. Bitter

Bitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a small pipe leak at a weld on my brand new TSE250. Right where the pipe necks down to tube size. That's two major issues I've had since I got this bike. Good thing I know how to turn wrenches. They are sending me a new pipe. Very good customer service.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  10. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    What were the two major issues?
    Fallacy likes this.
  11. Bitter

Bitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. Small piece of throttle cable inside the carb that was stuck in the float needle. Keeping it from closing all the way and causing major fuel overflow out of the overflow line. I fixed it myself and motor runs fine now.
    2. Expansion Chamber weld leak I described above. They are sending me a whole new pipe. Which I have to install myself.

That's the only thing about buying a bike like this. If you have a problem there's no dealer to take it to for warranty work. You have to fix it your self. But their customer service has been excellent so far. And they really need to make a service/user manual for these bikes, IMO.
    Still these bikes are a real bargain for the price. I like the bike a lot and have no complaints about how it rides and runs. I get a lot of complements and questions about it when I go riding. Everybody thinks it's a Husky.

Attached Files:

12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have very different definitions of major issues! :lol3

A KTM crank failure for example.

upload_2020-9-3_11-10-12.jpeg

A dealer might have caught debris in the carb if it was sticking at delivery. It also might not have stuck till hours into use. Did you change any jetting yet?

The pipe is an easy swap, if you pull the muffler off use an impact gun to pop the bolts out if the composite subframe (always). Hand loosening leads to spun inserts. If you dont have one, set up a ratchet/extension and smack it loose-wise with a rubber mallet to break them free. Ive done that in a pinch. Like my Huskys, its a great subframe if you work on it with a little bit of caution.
  13. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    So nothing really serious like a burnt out lightbulb, or a bubble under a decal?

That's a relief, right?
  14. Fallacy

Fallacy FFE inc.

Oddometer:
    Poor Ricky
    Dirtleg, Navin and Bitingdog like this.
  15. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see what’s going on. All you Wrrrzzzzrrr guys come I here and abuse the noobies about their chineses bikes to scare them away. Nobody realizes what an amazing bike they just bought!!!! Brilliant!!!
    Dirtleg, Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

With those Whirrrrrrr shocks its a wonder they can stay on the forum, never mind the bike specific thread!

3EA2C484-458D-4582-B551-5724AA99D2C4.jpeg
  17. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    20200903_122623.jpg
  18. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    It goes boingy-boingy-boingy-boingy-boingy
  19. Fallacy

Fallacy FFE inc.

Oddometer: