GPX TSE250R 2T Enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So scored a well farkled 19' TSE250R... Now I want a play bike... Anyone running a FSE250S?

Also anyone have a line on a beefed up skid plate?
    Navin likes this.
  2. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m getting pretty close to pulling the trigger. TSE vs FSE that is the question. East coast rocks and sandy pine forests. My singltrack bikes have all been 2T in recent years (kdx220, Te250, 300rr) so I’m partial there but at the same time I’m probably more of a 4 stroke rider (I hustle my 701 through easy singltrack just fine).

Are both bikes equally well sorted out? Seems like the TSE would be easier to live with long term by virtue of being a 2T (esp without much local dealer support).

What do you all think?
  3. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    Frames are the same weight is about the same as well... The tse has a bit more power than the 250 and 300 but a little less than the 450... I've been told by other riders familiar with other bikes the TSE feels like a KDX220 with a better frame and suspension suspension.
    Gundy and Navin like this.
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    From owning both... The TSE feels lighter, more playful. FSE rides front wheel heavy, more stable in turns like its got FWD. The TSE feels faster, but is a bit more work. And with the FSE you can just ignore throttle control, its old school thumper delivery. Ride it a gear high and surf the torque. In a few minutes you adjust to either one. The FSE is less intense at the same velocity. Neither is hyper though.

If your TE250 was a Husky big block 4t, thats what the FSE runs like. The KDX you had, the TSE is a smoother version of that. TSE used more fuel on my practice loops by a good bit. A gallon an hour was about spot on. The worst run on the FSE250 not much more than half that, really punishing it was maybe .75g in an hour tops.

Id give the call on durability to the Zongshen NC250/300 over the TSE but its really close. A few bent/damaged TSE shifter shafts vs extra wires and stuff in the fuel injection FSE so really both are pretty tough mills IMO. My old blue TSE is over 300 hours in the hands of the third owner on the original top end. The Zongs have proven records in the RX-3 and in a few high hour GPXs, Pitster LXRs snd SSRs.
  5. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - that’s awesome info!

If it makes any difference I weigh about 225lbs all suited up and really want this bike for the rocks. Think washed out coal mines with some pretty steep loose and tech climbs. I’m guessing the TSE would be lighter but the FSE more planted/better traction. Either one a clear winner for that kind of riding?

6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pa stuff? Id lean TSE for that. The more technical the better the table tilts that way. My Fla stuff is faster and less gnar so the logs and ledges are few n far between. The FSE will sometimes pound the front tire into a log where the TSE is able to easily loft over. Id say desert stuff would favor the FSE in this 2 bike comp.

When jetted well the TSE lugs really low. The FSE300 might have more actual torque though. Both put it to the ground very well. No tire spinning power spikes to speak of unless you induce one via clutch.
    Bitingdog, Fallacy and Dirtleg like this.
  7. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. And then you mention jetting....the EFI on the FSE is pretty tempting. Not that carbs are too complicated.

Is the TSE carb easy to access and tune? I could swap needles and jets on my old Husky without even removing the tank.

Fallacy likes this.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the first gen (husq) body on my TSE. Id pull the tool less side panel and filter and pop the boot back an inch or two then the carb could drop out the left side. Needle changes I think you could turn the carb but Ive not had the latest tank/spoilers to play with yet.

Trying to swap jets on a carb twist usually had the float pin fall out, it was easier to just pull it.
    Bitingdog, Fallacy and Gundy like this.
  9. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm the same weight and ride the same terrain as you in PA, the TSE really shines in these conditions, the engine lugs great, I've never once stalled it and its like a scalpel swooping in and out of trees on single track. I love mine, I've been beating the crap out of it and and it's taking it in stride.

If you want to see some helmet cam, my Instagram is https://www.instagram.com/stevecastro2104/
    Bitingdog, Gundy and Navin like this.
  10. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! I’ll check it out. Did you do anything to the suspension for your weight or just get it close enough and ride?

11. Damifino

Oddometer:
    I put a 5.1kg spring on the shock and loosened up the clickers in the forks to soften them up. That's it, its better suspended then my KTM I spent $1k in suspension work.
    Gundy likes this.
  12. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    awesome. That’s good to hear. A shock spring is easy enough to swap in.
  13. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    For me this is going to be a big adjusment coming off 4 stroke bikes... I really like that the top ends should give a long life and when the rebuild is needed it is far cheaper and easier than a 4 stroke... But the feel is so foreign to me... I guess too I have to start blipping the throttle as well... This will be a fun adjustment
    Navin likes this.
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Its a good one to transition on as the big flywheel weight and lack of a hit or power spike makes it super silky. An XC250 or YZ250, even the 125/150s can have a real barky hit.
    Bitingdog and Fallacy like this.
  15. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    Had a race spec yz250 for a short time... I was an wild uncontrollable beast that i quickly got rid of...
  16. PowerSlidz

PowerSlidz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd been struggling w/same - pretty stoked about the TSE. Videos / reviews the FSE seem kind of front-end heavy and flat power delivery - the 300 seems a little more peppy but honestly IDK

Seeing the oil injection was discontinued but maybe deal killer for me. I plan on DS-ing it and mixing at the pump may not be practical. Thoughts? Maybe a syringe w/locking tip? Likely I'll have my phone so can do quick calculation..

Now if it was a 300 w/same weight/handling......

Anyone have riding impression on the 2021s Stage-3 / high-rev CDI - where does it make a difference power-wise & sound?
  17. N8

N8 Masked pumpkin rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Empty 3oz travel containers for shampoo, etc. Discount stores usually have them. Pack 1 per gallon of fuel. FYI 3oz to a gallon is about 42:1.
  18. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is what I’ve done on other premix bikes. I fill a liter coke bottle with oil, have a plastic shot glass with measuring lines, add an rag and throw it all in a ziplock in my camelback. add an ounce for every 3rd of a gallon so it sort of mixes well and your are never too far off on the ratio. The bikes really aren’t that sensitive to the precise ratio. Having a buddy help out at the pump makes it quick.

I had a lectron carb at one point that got such good mileage I almost never needed a fill up on a typical ride. Was getting over 40 mpg.

syringes are another option but I never got around to measuring how much oil was in the tube itself.
    PowerSlidz likes this.
  19. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I've used graduated bottles from the pharmacy, like cough syrup comes in. I think the one I have holds 5 or 6 oz, which is plenty for a day ride. I think the pharmacy sold it to me for 50 cents. Since it's just a single bottle with a lid it stays pretty clean, but I keep it stored in a Ziploc bag with a paper shop rag.
    PowerSlidz likes this.
  20. Damifino

Oddometer:
    The 2019 oil tank is still available, I’ve seen guys that have removed the oil injection, left the oil tank installed and put a petcock on the bottom of the tank, fill the oil tank and pour out oil into a measured cup when you are filling up, hell, you could probably get an oil tank for free from someone that removed their oil injection from their 2019/2021