GPX TSE250R 2T Enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Navin, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Bitter

Bitter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Gary, when is the 300 2 stroke gunna be available?
    Dirtleg and Fallacy like this.
  2. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    He mentioned to me this fall, it's being tested now.
    Fallacy, jcmcc, NickSoOr and 2 others like this.
  3. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I am loving the bike, seems to work fine.

4. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone heard of a place selling some bolt on armor? Really would like to get some better protection in rocky areas for when you gotta start popping up large rocks in the billy goat trails...
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the pleasure of riding a like new 19 TSE today.

Gotta say, I might be ready to go back to another one. Unstallable bottom and man the front is so light and easy to lift with throttle or clutch. He still has the original 30mm carb on it and the Fast Ace legs, oil injection etc. Nary a scratch on it too. Amazing how different it rides from my FSE250R you'd never guess they shared parts but for the engines. Wildly different experience riding it compared to the thumper.
  6. Bitter

Bitter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode my 2021 TSE250 yesterday. First ride in several months. Although I do start it up every other week or so, and it's kept in climate controlled storage.
    It just doesn't run right. I've had problems since it was brand new. When brand new it had a small piece of metal cable in the carb that was floating around in the bowl and would get stuck in the float needle. Took a couple carb teardowns to find that problem, but I fixed that, myself. I think Gary sent me another float needle and I installed it. But, even after that its just never run right in my opinion.
    It takes too long to start when it's not been started in a while. It's like it takes way too long to get fuel into the carb.
    When transporting in the back of a pickup, it leaks a little fuel onto the bed of the truck.
    When riding it feels mushy and flat on low and mid throttle, and not crisp until higher rpms. Just no crisp throttle response and no power.
    Idle is inconsistent. Yesterday it would idle too fast and slowly come down. When going into a turn the idle was too high and made cornering harder. It's taking too long to come down to correct idle. And a couple times while sitting still and idling it was surging up and down a little. That symptom, to me, says air leak somewhere.

So my diagnosis is a air leak and/or bad float needle, again.
    If I can't figure this out, up for sale it goes. Which I really don't want to do because it's a very good bike. But I'm getting tired of chasing this problem. And highlights one issue of buying a off brand bike. No dealer to take it to and fix what should be a warranty issue. Gary has been very helpful, but I've had to do all the work, without compensation.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    What jetting are you running, elevation, temps? Sounds like a lean pilot jet.

Gas dribbling from the carb in a truck during transport is pretty standard fare.
    Fallacy and Crash217 like this.
  8. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    Really these bikes run best with a lectron...
  9. Bitter

Bitter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock jetting. I haven't changed anything yet. Gary told me they are jetted lean from the factory. And at my altitude, it should be fine, he said. Riding in Colorado. Elevation is 6400' to 9000' where I live and ride. Temperatures range from the 40's to the 90's. Yesterday while riding it was approx 42.
  10. Bitter

Bitter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent Lectron an email about getting one for my TSE. They responded saying they don't make one for that bike. ????
  11. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    Mine has one but it's running a 242cc BB from a WR200. Previous owner Dwight Rudder put it on. Runs fantastic.
    Navin likes this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Start juggling brass. Id also drain the tank, yank the petcock and back blow it clean, then change the fuel hose and filter. In Florida the factory hoses degrade from heat and/or our fuel. I just cleaned my friends TSE carb and hose debris was in the bowl, tiny black flecks. Since day #1 Ive said the hoses are chespo Kawasaki quality. Spongy rubber.
    But yeah, jetting is the answer, or a Lectron. The fb group guys have used them with great sucess.
    Dirtleg and Fallacy like this.
  13. Crash217

Crash217 The short guy with a beard

Oddometer:
    ^^^ more info on that big bore please? I haven't seen that mentioned before.
  14. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    What carb is the 2021 run? I ask as on my old one with the stock "mikuni", once the OEM brass was replaced with proper Yamaha\Mikuni stuff, the carb began to work much better. It might cost a few $, but it may pay to get a legit carb on it and get a good baseline jetting on it. :dunno
    Dirtleg, Fallacy, Navin and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bitter

Bitter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what carb my 2021 has. The GPX website is pretty much useless for that type of info. I would sell the bike before I spend $500 to $700 for a Lectron.
    Dirtleg likes this.
  16. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Can you put a used Keihin PWK on there?
    Dirtleg, Fallacy and Navin like this.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Post a photo of the carb or join the fb group as those guys are well versed in the new gen TSE. Any modern carbed dirt bike is going to need be jetted to run perfectly at X or Y. Im guessing you need $30 in jets to dial your bike in at most.
    Fallacy and Crash217 like this.
  18. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    I was just told it was the 242cc BB for a WR200. Gary should know about it. Also the Lectron is worth it. Even if you sell the bike you can keep the carb for a multitude of other bikes...
    Crash217 and Navin like this.
  19. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I'd guess its a "keihin pwk" on there. I may be off on this, but I feel like all these chinese carbs seemingly get funked up way easier than any other carb I've dealt with in the past. I'd get some fresh jets, and start with jetting from ground zero. The stock jets on my old "mikuni" were not labeled, so I had no clue wtf jetting I had. Jets from a known vendor will likely get you up and going real quick. :thumb
    Bitingdog, Dirtleg, Fallacy and 2 others like this.
  20. Bitter

Bitter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guy I talked to today at GPX Moto didn't even know what carb is on my bike. It's a Chinese copy of something I guess. I have to send him photos of it.
    Seems that nobody at USA Motortoys/GPX that I've talked to, knows very much about the Products they sell. Even Gary couldn't answer some of my questions. And their website is almost worthless IMHO. I don't mean to bash them as they have been very good as far as customer service. Just severely lacking on the technical side.