Grabby clutch when cold.

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Hair, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Hair

Hair Talking Head

Oddometer:
    My clutch is very grabby when the bike it cold. I am running 10/50 oil. I will change it very soon to 10/30. However I would like to drive the bike to work for a day or two before I change the oil.

Will I damage the clutch or the clutch plates if I do this?

With temps above freezing in the morning and the bike kept inside. Is being cold a factor here?

Once I warm the bike up some the clutch is fine.
  2. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    Don't change to 10/30, the oil pump is particular and won't pump the thin stuff at low rev's. Several of us have experienced this.

The clutch grabs because it's a KTM. Mine does..Both of mine do, actually. Just part of it, I've never worried about the grabby clutch, it only happens when cold for the first couple engagements.
  3. Hair

Hair Talking Head

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great advice.
  4. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What year is your 950 ? My early '04 stopped chattering when I installed an '05 clutch rod ,this lets more oil get to the plates . Also what kind of oil ? I changed to Triumph mobil one t and it started to chatter a little bit again. Do a search for the clutch rod mod and part numbers . K.B.:deal
  5. Stephen

Stephen Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, there's your solution.

All the wet-clutch bikes I've owned were like this.
  6. BigMac

BigMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I would agree 10/30 is too light in even the coolest of climes, I've been running 10/40 Redline w/o any clutch related issues for the last 15k miles -- bike has 27k total, the 1st 12k were on Motorex 10/50. I really don't want to go down the pathway of yet ANOTHER oil debate but Ester based synthetics flow better at low temps, its an undeniable fact. I would suggest you try an Ester based lube such as Redline, Silkolene or Motul 5100. My oil switch eliminated my clutch creep at high temps and I've never experienced the grabby clutch at low temps. Also be sure to idle bike in neutral till at least 1 bar shows on temp guage, then drop her into gear and keep revs and engine braking to moderate levels until at least 3 bars are showing, preferrably 4. Take care.
  7. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :thumb

The new one piece shafts are 1mm narrower. I know it's not much but it cured mine. The new ones are also solid, whereas the old ones were hollow. If the old ones were solid, it'd just be a matter of turning it down but alas.
  8. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Hate to through this into reverse....... But I installed the new rod in my 04 at about 500km and my clutch has just started to chatter, on cold evenings, with only the first engagement when taking off. 8,000 km.

I thought it might be viscosity, or the fact that I don't use an MA oil. I use organic 15-50.

This is the first issue that have had with my bike so I follow this thread with much interest. :ear
  9. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    AW, you got a part no. on that shaft? My bike's mfr date is 12/04. How easy is this part to install?
  10. TMoore

TMoore Arai Helmet Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK! (Formerly from The Peoples Republic of Mass)
    My 04 was banging and clanging like mad once it turned chilly this fall.
    It got worse with every ride. So I put the new clutch rod in myself and
    it was very easy. Bingo no more clutch problems. I had the 3 piece
    aluminum rod stock the new rod is one piece steel and narrower allowing
    more oil into the clutch area. You remove the slave cyl and the clutch
    cover and just push the rod out. Simple.
  11. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:

Here's a couple of pictures from one of Barbasma's old threads from way back. The part number shown on the bar code tag in the second picture is for the new one piece, but you may want to verify with your dealer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll have to remove the slave cylinder down by the counter shaft sprocket to get to the left side of the shaft...it has a small locating pin running through it that you need to remove.
    Then on the right side you'll have to remove the clutch inspection plate to access the clutch springs. Remove the six clutch springs to lift off the outer pressure plate and pull the rod out from the right side.

Do the left side first, then you can lean the bike on the side stand and you won't lose any oil when you pull the clutch cover.

It's about a 30 minute job if you take your time and pay attention to how it came apart.

Good Luck
  12. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    cool...thanks guys - I'll note this and give it a shot sometime. Is this the same part that there was another post about? The one about complete clutch failure due to some kind of actuating mechanism?
  13. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    this is it,

they installed on my bike on my KTM dealer fully free on the 15.000km tunning service.:clap

clutch now goes smoothly:clap
  14. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    did a search on part no. 60032054300 at BikeBandit.com...found it!

FYI - BikeBandit part no. is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4384273-001[/FONT]

$40.13 shipped with my AMA discount...ordering one now!
  15. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My clutch on my KTM 2005 Adventure is, on occasion, VERY grabby. Can be a problem getting in motion on a hill as it snatches.

I decided to check to see which pushrod I have - if it's aluminum I may have an easy fix.

I pulled the clutch slave cylinder on the left (though I'm not sure why that's necessary) and the clutch cover and "basket cover" on the right:

[​IMG]

I sort of thought the pushrod would pull right out, but it doesn't seem to.

So - what next?

BTW, my new HandyLift is making this a WHOLE lot easier on the back!

[​IMG]
  16. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fasteddie, read back a few lines. you have to pull off the slave cyl right next to the shifter and you will see the other end of the clutch rod with a pin in it. Just pull out the pin and it will come right out. This mod is a must change.. IMHO.
    roookie1 likes this.
  17. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I thought I HAD read the whole thread.

Good thing I didn't get out the Vise-Grips and the ball-peen hammer!

Let me go look for that pin!
  18. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

...and the good news is I appear to have the aluminum rod.

[​IMG]

Will order the steel one tomorrow.

Thanks for the help
  19. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Here's a thought. KTM has never said why they made a new push rod. Could it be that they were just cutting down on there build cost. And people report that the clutch feels better becouse they now have fresh oil in the bike.
  20. FastEddieB

Oddometer:
    As soon as I get the new rod in the mail (ordered yesterday) I'll report if there's any change. I am NOT currently doing an oil change so any change in clutch operation should be due to the new rod.

NOT to start an oil thread, but as a data point I'm using Mobil1 15/50 auto oil - there was no change in the clutch action when I switched from the factory oil.