Graduated, Got Divorced… I Need a Vacation – Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Telekinesis, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Telekinesis

Telekinesis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice recommendation on the hammocking tarp. I’ve been looking at a few of those trying to balance the cost/coverage/packing size of everything. We have the first Birmingham REI store opening this weekend, so maybe I can find a good deal on one.

I’ve been thinking about that method of reporting. I want to make sure that I can adequately capture the emotions of the day, as opposed to my tendency to “over process” a written account when I have the time to stare at it and revise everything to death. Maybe taking notes or doing a quick journal type of thing every day and then using that as a framework when I sit down and actually writing the real report after the trip would be a good compromise.
    klaviator likes this.
  2. Telekinesis

Telekinesis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I should know better by now.

When I bought my first bike several years ago I was fresh out of the MSF course (the only actual riding experience that I had at the time) and stood in the seller’s driveway looking at the nice, pretty 1st gen SV 650s I was about to test ride. I don my gear and hop on and think to myself “this feels a bit different (sportier riding position) but not too bad. I can do this!” I rode 30’ to the end of the guy’s driveway and came to a stop, put my foot down in some gravel (which of course slipped) and promptly dropped the bike right in front of its owner.

As soon as we got the bike back on 2 wheels I turned to the owner and said sheepishly “I’ll take it” and started the paperwork. Very similar damage to the V Strom actually, turn signal and the ball on the front brake lever came off (no hand guards on the SV).

I’m very thankful that I didn’t screw up any of the plastic fairings on the front of the V Strom. Those seem like they’re getting a bit difficult to find for a first gen unless you can find someone parting out a whole bike.
    klaviator likes this.
  3. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Harbor Freight has nice little claw hammers. About 6" long. I think I payed $4.00 for mine.
    Welcome to the Moto camping insanity
  4. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread! I rig my tarp like this ... works for me. IMGP1309.JPG
    Telekinesis likes this.
  5. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report and pictures. Thanks!!!!! My 2 cents on a couple of things. 1st. lock the forks and put the disc lock on the rear rotor, can't roll the bike away.
    2nd Barber Vintage Festival

a must do check out the web site. 3rd. Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggies Valley ck. web. 4th Two Wheels Of Suches Ga. a
    great motorbike campground and riding area, Hit Dawsonville @ the Pool Hall for a Bully Burger and shake.
    mspgirl likes this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, thanks for posting. That "big section" of the Blue Ridge Parkway that you missed is spectacular. The entire Parkway is special, but there are sections that are extra-special; that's one of them.

Congrats on successfully getting on with your life.

Ride to lean,
    Ferris
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. Some thoughts on doing ride reports. I have done some after the trip and others as I went along. The biggest drawback to doing it during the ride is that it takes up time when you could be riding or talking to the people you meet along the way. Despite this I now tend to try to write up the reports the day of the ride. First, my memory of the day is fresher. Second, doing the reports as you go often has some real benefits. For example: I was recently riding between the Skyway and Robbinsville when a rider came up beside me and signaled that he wanted to talk. I pulled over and he said "You're Klaviator". He had read my ride report the previous day and knew I would be in the area. When he saw my bike he figured it was me a turned around and chased me down. This was not the first time something like this has happened to me.

Additionally I have gotten some good advise in my reports. I typically post what I will be doing and sometimes get good information from others who know the area I will be riding. Sometimes people reading my reports have ended up meeting up and riding with me.

I do bring along a small laptop so I don't have to do this on my phone.

If I were you I'd try doing ride reports both ways and see what works best for you. Either way it will help you meet other people on this forum.
    Telekinesis likes this.
  8. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your report. I call those rises outside my house at the north end of BRP 'hills' pretty much but some are big hills, I admit. There is a method to picking up a heavy bike (for little folks such as I am) that can be helpful and actually works. Try googling how to pick up a GW. I used it with a 1200 GW once. It is simple and effective and much better than a hernia or hoping someone shows up.
    Telekinesis likes this.
  9. Telekinesis

Telekinesis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s a nice looking setup @Weldman! I like the idea of using the bike as an anchor on one side. That should keep the bike a bit dryer and give me a place to put my gear where it is both off the ground and underneath the tarp (as opposed to my solution of laying my gear on the ground so that it would be under the tarp).
    Weldman likes this.
  10. Telekinesis

Telekinesis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll take a shot at putting the lock on the back rotor. Not being able to roll the bike would be good.

I was actually able to stop by Barber this weekend for the Vintage Festival. Very fun! And thanks for the recommendation on the Pool Hall at Dawsonville, I’ll try to stop by next time I’m in the area.
  11. ratherdash

ratherdash n00b

Oddometer:
    Great read. Subscribed for more.