Grampa's Lake Superior Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oldone, Jul 18, 2011.

1. oldtrick

oldtrick n00b

Oddometer:
    Wonderful job! Enjoyed it.
  2. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:

Thanks for your comment.....These all help to make the efforts of doing one of these worthwhile. There's so many really great RR's with professional looking photos though that I really wonder if I should just not do anymore of these.

Gary
  3. jonsom

jonsom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are professionals and non professionals (I am the later) and am sure that there are people that have not seen Lake Superior and it's magnificent scenery. Some day I hope to start my first ride report. They are a lot of work and much appreciated.
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    There is one on the Sleeping Giant, (ask for a spot on the backside of the lake, there's only seven right on Marie Louise Lake,and I mean RIGHT on thie lake) ,a KOA 2k from the city, Kakabeka Falls, Trowbridge Falls, almost right in the city(but closed right now, due to construction)
    Other than the KOA, the signs to get them are pretty terrible, as is the case with most of the natural attractions around here.
  5. Oldone

Oddometer:

Thanks for your comments....I hope to see the time when you do decide to try one of your own. I love reading other RR's and I would guess that I've spent an average of 3 to 4 hrs. a day for the past couple of years doing that. :deal
  6. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Great RR and pictures. Flows real nice.

I think you did the right direction going clock wise. I've done it both ways, and would prefer clock wise. Most of the turn offs to the sites are on the right, and you can pull off much easier. I wished I stopped more to hike like you both did. That's the way to do it. Thanks for posting this.
  7. Oldone

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info....we almost went into the Sleeping Giant area but decided not to due to the lack of time. I'm still wondering if we missed something that we shouldn't have? :confused

Gary
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    The ride in very nice, but a LOT of deer. You could spend a week there, easily.

As I have said to many people, most of the good stuff is just off the highway...and it sounds like you at least found some places.
  9. Oldone

Oddometer:

We have tons of deer around here too. Our neighbor was killed a few years ago riding about 50 mph with four other bikes when a deer jumped in front of him. One of the antlers pierced his heart, killing him instantly!

Yes, we did find some very interesting things along the way and missed a bunch too, unfortunately!
  10. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I kind of thought about it that way too so thanks for your thoughts about it. We did stop some and saw a few things that were a little ways off of the main road but we should've done more of that. The trouble with that is it really takes away a lot of riding time.

Thanks again,

Gary
  11. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Sunday Rider,

I just thought about this, but did you ever do a RR on either one or both of those rides that you took? I'm not sure if one ride will be enough for me and I'm thinking if I really studied this route a little better, I could have a lot of fun doing it all over again. Maybe next summer even! :wink:

Gary "Oldone"
  12. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I just took a few pictures the first time, and was riding with a couple of other riders, who didn't want to stop too much. Last year, I was returning from Idaho, and had a perfect day for riding through Kakabeka Falls stopping over night in Wawa (Algoma Motel, not as cool a place as where you stopped). I had a perfect day, with little traffic.

I am not sure if I am up to the writing quality of the ride reports I have seen on here.
  13. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean about the quality of those ride reports but these people on here are totally awesome and seem to accept about anything that you do. That's the way they've treated me, and I'm really grateful for that. I think we have a wonderful, caring bunch of people here and it's meant a lot to me. You should go ahead and try it. It'll turn out fine!

Gary
  14. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Great job on the RR. Hope things get sorted and you can make a run on the PCH in the future.

Safe travels!
  15. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed this trip report very much. Thanks for finding the time to do it. It was smooth.
    :clap
  16. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Hi Bobw,

I think you were the one who helped me out a couple of years ago when I knew even less than I do now! Anyway, thanks for your kind words. I'd love to be able to make the PCH ride one of these times, that's for sure.

Gary "Oldone" :gerg
  17. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Siyeh,

Thanks for the nice comment....I can always use something to tell me it wasn't as bad as I keep thinking that it was! We have two kids that live in Alaska, so my next project is to click on your Alaska link to see what that's all about.

Thanks again,

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
    Grampa’s National Monument Ride
  18. Oldone

Oddometer:

Siyeh,

I just read about your Alaska trip yesterday and that was really very interesting. I usually read most of those since our kids live there and this was right up there among the best of them, I thought.

Thanks much.....

<table id="post16781230" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_16781230" style="border-right: 1px solid #575757">

Grampa&#8217;s Lake Superior Ride
    Grampa&#8217;s National Monument Ride

</td> </tr> <tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-top: 0px"> [​IMG] [​IMG] </td><td class="alt1" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right"> [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table>
  19. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Your ride report was excellent..:clap
  20. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate reading a comment once in awhile. It takes so long to do a RR and I always am aware that mine really don't compare at all to lots of these on here. On the other hand, it's still very nice of you.

Thanks much,