Grampa's Lake Superior Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oldone, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    I've only had wild dreams of making it to the N.W. but haven't made it in the car or the bike. Since time is moving right along, I've got to get on amd ride! "Time oh time, where do you go?" :-(
  2. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Once you start heading west from MN, just keep going. Don't get sidetracked by going at Glacier NP http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm or
    Mt.Rushmore viavNeedles http://www.allblackhills.com/scenic_drives/needles_highway.php ,
    or ride the Spiral Highway near Lewiston/Clarkston http://micapeak.com/rides/spiralhighway.html

If you ignore all those you should get to the NW in 4 days to ride the Cascades (which I passed by when I missed an exit and stupidly kept going). But seeing from your trip report, that you don't rocket through, and do stop to smell the roses, plan on 10 days there and 10 back!

Looks like a good mid June or July ride to plan for..... Just sayin'

Good luck with your trip planning....
  3. Oldone

Oddometer:

Thanks for the comment.....I really appreciate those. :-) As far as the photo groups go, I may not be using the easiest method but since I registered to Photobucket, I've been using that and little by little have been making some progress with it.

Gary "Oldone" :gerg

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
    Grampa’s National Monument Ride
  4. Oldone

Oddometer:

Sunday Rider,

Sorry, but it looks like I've over-looked your latest comment until now when I was scanning back over these latest things.

I like your suggestions about this trip and of course that's going to be ringing through my "dreams" for a loooooong time, unless I finally come up with the real thing and just ride!

Thanks for keeping the dream alive!

Gary
  5. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Hey no worries Gary,

Just to add more to your meandering, there is Yellowstone: http://www.nationalparks.org/discover-parks/index.cfm?fa=viewPark&pid=YELL and you might as well hit the Grand Tetons while you are there: http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

What the heck you are in the area, you might as well do the LoLo Pass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolo_Pass_(Idaho–Montana)

Funny thing when I saw your avatar, I thought you had an ST1100, love the Pacific Coast, it was my first choice, but couldn't find one.

Continued good wishes in your trip planning. I will be sure to pester you with more things as they come to mind.:rofl

Cheers,
  6. Oldone

Oddometer:
    \

Raouf,

I'm trying to find out how the ST's and PC's compare so instead of doing a bunch of research on it I just sent you a PM. Maybe you can fill me in?

Thanks,

Gary
  7. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Gramp-Z,

I really enjoy going back to your photos every once in awhile so I thought I'd let you know that I'm still enjoying them. Thanks much,

Gary "Oldone" :gerg

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
    Grampa’s National Monument Ride
  8. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed reading your RR even though I have travelled this area many times. Its great to see another persons perspective and see the thing I have missed.
  9. Oldone

Oddometer:
    This was the first RR that I did after I took a ride up into some of the National Monuments in Arizona a couple of years ago. It has a few photos in there of the Oak Creek Canyon, south of Flagstaff, AZ. It was my favorite area of that ride and is a beautiful place. If you've never been there and would ever have a chance to go, be sure not to miss it. Grampa’s National Monument Ride

[​IMG]
  10. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR - I like the pictures of the lock in action!
  11. Oldone

Oddometer:

Jenn,

Thanks for your comments....I havn't been on here for a few days and just now noticed it.....I'm just starting on your cross-country RR and since it's looking good already, I'm going to go back and finish it. Thanks for sending that and the others along. I'll check them all out.

Gary
  12. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Jenn,

I forgot to get back to you and tell you what great RR's that you had and I had a good time reading them. Thanks for sending those although it's been awhile now. Senior moments!!

Gary
  13. Oldone

Oddometer:

David,

Do you have any suggestions for riding down along Lake Michigan on the N.E shoreline? I'm not sure where that one road goes up in the far corner of the lake.

Thanks for your help.

Gary
  14. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Have any of you been around Lake Michigan and if so, do you have any advice about what roads to take and what things to stop and see along the way? I'd like to do that trip this summer and am now thinking of going all around it..

Thanks much,

Gary
  15. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Ooops!
  16. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Gary: It's interesting to see such familiar sights through someone else's eyes. I grew up in MN and have made 4 trips around Superior. The last two were made on my new Wee Strom, one trip in each direction.
    If you decide to repeat your ride please PM me and I'll give you a list of some of the cool things you missed but I'll spare you that agony now.
  17. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking it's about time to start planning on another trip around the lake so am going to PM you with hopes I can learn of things to see on the way. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
  18. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Just another reminder that if you didn't get a chance to see my sorta sucky first ride report, there are some areas in Arizona that really do make a neat ride so if at all interested, you can go to: Grampa’s National Monument Ride

This is another photo that I found taken while going through the Oak Creek Canyon, near beautiful Sedona, AZ. This is an awesome area to ride in and I'm going back soon! :yum

[​IMG]
  19. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    "'Have any of you been around Lake Michigan and if so, do you have any advice about what roads to take and what things to stop and see along the way? I'd like to do that trip this summer and am now thinking of going all around it.."

Plan to take some time in Door County WI, and Leelanau Couinty MI.. and the road through the "tunnel of trees" from Cross Village to Harbor Springs, MI
  20. Oldone

Oddometer:

Thanks much,

I've heard of these places but didn't know where they were so thanks again for this helpful information. Plans are to make the solo trip in July or Aug.

Gary