Grampa's National Monument Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oldone, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    How was the Superior Trip?
    Start a new thread and then post here to direct us to it.
  2. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the trip went fine with good weather most of the way. Total miles was just under 2,000 over six days. I'm sorting through the photos now, trying to decide if there's enough good ones here to make up another RR?

Gary
  3. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Went over the top of Lake Superior a couple years back. Got caught up in a cold front at Thunder Bay about the 1st of October. 28°F in the morning.:eek1
    Be waiting for your pics and report. :deal:clap:clap
  4. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Yikes! That sounds a bit cool....but I'd think that the fall colors were somewhere around the peak about then weren't they? I'm still sorting my photos and trying to come up with enough good ones to make another RR worthwhile. It's not looking real promising at the moment??

Gary
  5. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I've decided to try a few of my Lake Superior photos so a short RR of sorts will begin on page 8. This isn't going to be anything too great though, so I'm warning you now. :csm (I'll use the photo that was here on the next page then.)
  6. peteE

peteE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Oldone,
    I live in Chicago and have always wanted to circumnavigate Lake Superior.
    I have been around Lake Mi.
    The one photo looks like the UP. Maybe the south shore of Superior?
    Thanks for sharing. The pictures look great.
    Don't know if I would try shooting a photo while going across one of those huge steel behemoths though!
    PeteE
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Wow! I totally missed this one and have just now noticed your blog. So sorry about that but at least now I can have some fun reading up on your blog.

Thanks much,

Gary
  9. Oldone

Oddometer:
    A sample of some of the photos on the Minnesota side on our Lake Superior Ride. In case you're interested it can be found here:

[​IMG]
  10. Oldone

Oddometer:
    This is what the lake looked like on the Canadian side on a misty, sorta foggy day. If you ever get the chance, a ride around the lake is really interesting with some great views of the big lake. Our six day, 2000 mile, (very very fun) Lake Superior Ride can be found here:

[​IMG]
  11. Oldone

Oddometer:
    I've been wondering how many of you have made the trip around Lake Superior and if you went clockwise or counter-clockwise? We went clockwise but I recently read an article that said the other way is better. It would be great to find out what any of you have done with the dates, etc. and your opinion of how you liked it, and any other details.

Thanks much,

Gary
  12. Oldone

Oddometer:
    The beginning of the water portion of our Lake Superior Ride this summer was over the bridge in Duluth, MN., a beautiful city on the western shores of the lake. If any of you get the chance, try not to miss out on a trip around the largest lake among the great lakes. It was a great trip and one I'll always remember. :wink:

[​IMG]
  13. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Another interesting stop on our Lake Superior ride was at the locks at Sault Ste Marie. It included an interesting viewing area and also a nice visitor's center. That in itself was very interesting with monitors showing when the ships (and other vessels) were due in and also many other educational items to help learn about the lake and it's awesome shipping industry. In case you're interested it's in: Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride (The bridge in the background is near the border crossing.)

[​IMG]
  14. Oldone

Oddometer:
    Bobw,

I notice that you're from the east but it sounds like you know about the west coast. Have you been on that PCH ride by any chance? I guess you saw on my other RR that I had to give it up for this time? Dang, I really want to do that one!

Gary "Oldone" :gerg
  15. Oldone

Oddometer:
    PeteE,

I don't know if you'll get this but if not I'll send a PM.....I was wondering how hard it would be to go around Lake Michigan when I'd get to the Chicago area? I suppose you've been on those roads many times?

Thanks,

Gary
  16. Oldone

Oddometer:
    PeteE,

I'm sending you a PM.....
  17. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice RR, the area you live in is beautiful and holds alot of history. At the start of your report you thought that you didnt have the skills to do a good RR, not true! I cant tell how many RRs I have started and completed and deleted because they just didnt look right when finished. I will just enjoy yours and the other inmates RRs. :lol3
  18. Oldone

Oddometer:

I'm sorry that I didn't see these comments before now, when I happened to go back to this page. Thanks very much as I really appreciate it. I don't know if you knew it, but I did another RR this last summer when I went around Lake Superior. In case you're interested, it can be found here:

Gary
  19. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Very nice RR Gary. Great pictures and I like the photo album look they have, and all the details that go with them. Don't know how I missed this RR. I read the Lake Superior one first.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post up. You do a great job.:clap
  20. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures - I enjoyed your trip report!