Grand Canyon Loop out of Vegas

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Crawdaddy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That segment looks hand drawn anyway. Is Track 002 open and does it connect to the Toroweap Track or just get close below it below cliff?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Track 002 is open but the road just dead ends.......look at it on topo and it'll make sense.......no "sky bridge" over to Toroweap :lol3

Pa's Pocket is worth the visit and there's a good viewpoint down into the valley just a short ways beyond Paws Pocket.......but beyond that there's not much value in heading out to the very end of track 002 other than to say you did it......then hang a U-Turn.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Ok, I thought that was the area you were talking about.....there's nothing of consequence there in either direction now (IMHO). There used to be a slight step up there but it's pretty blown out now.....just typical rocky crap that you bounce up and move on past..... I traveled through there last Fall (in both directions) with multiple groups of riders as well as a group of trucks/Jeeps/RZRs/Rhinos on a separate trip......"

Wow. Thanks for the info and the picture. That is definitely the spot. Great to know we could go back thru there either way now.

Jerry,

I finally got your tracks from GPSXchange. They look good to me.

We also have a pretty nice route from Mesquite to Alamo. Part of it is a very primitive road thru what might be called Pony Resevoir canyon. I created quite a bit of this myself. I couldn't find any existing tracks that I liked that went thru. I think most published tracks go either north/south or east/west not northwest.

Those tracks are in both of my Grand Canyon files.

I forgot how poor the resolution was in the 2013 tracks. I obviously had not figured out to set up the Montana for long trips back then.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sky Bridge? It is almost 1,000 ft elevation change not a gap.

What is at Paws Pocket?
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Mesquite to Alamo and Alamo to Mesquite in my NV SMTS file (they are all in NV) I think they may both be yours.
  6. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    A small cabin/trinkets remain on the site of Pa's Pocket. It's been preserved by the folks who own the Bar 10 Ranch and the BLM. An Eagle Scout wrote a report/mounted a plaque there a few years ago (The pic below was taken in 08......the plaque has been updated/replaced)

[​IMG]
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, worth mentioning in Way Point. I did big update on file on GpsX
  8. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    If you look at it closely in GE you can see there's an old switchback road or trail cut into the side of the mountain between the ends of those two roads. I look forward to seeing the photos and report from the one who rides down that long lost road/trail! Crawdaddy, there's your shortcut between Toroweap and Bar10!
  9. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    They may still take mules/horses up and down it.....I'm not sure but I doubt it.......probably just wild burros and/or horses out there now......I rarely go back that far anymore.......I'd have to ask the guys at the ranch if it's still utilized.......just as there's still a mule/hiking trail down to the river's edge at the Bar 10 river view.....but signs are posted prohibiting motorized vehicles off designated roads once you enter the Parashant Nat'l Monument (Grand Canyon).....and ALL vehicles are required to have a "street" plate inside the Nat'l Monument.......the boundary starts just south of the Bar 10 airstrip.....

There's also a sign about "street plates only/stay on the roads" about a mile north of the ranger's house by Toroweap....get caught without a street plate beyond that point, or off designated roads, and it's a potential ~$1600 fine.......not a problem for me since all my rigs are street plated......

It's too bad the trail at Jerry's 021 & 002 intersection is closed off to EVERYONE.....even hikers/horseback folks......there WAS a legit trail there years ago......great view from the bluff down towards the river view......that trail led to the top of the second bluff you see directly in front of my bike in the bike below.....probably ~2K' above the river view....and ~3K' above the river on the north side of the canyon.....

The "river view" is at the western/southern end of Jerry's track 021....here's a pic from the river view:

[​IMG]
  10. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I obeyed the sign at the intersection that said "closed", but when I got back a certain old cowboy told me I should have gone down that road despite the sign.

And the top of that huge bluff in the middle of that picture is the end of that closed road. Imagine the view from there!
  11. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    I don't have to imagine it :evil.....I just wish I could still share it :norton :1drink
  12. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    I e-mailed the Bar-10 a couple days ago regarding gas and I got a reply back today from Sarah: "We have gas available for $7 /ga". Just an FYI for those with <150mi range.
  13. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    General rule is 2X price in St. George.

Gas, beer, & gear transport are all furnished on CORE Primm/Bar 10 Club rides....sometimes the guns come out for a little skeet too....

[​IMG]
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy it is nice to see a thread about actually riding motorcycles instead of the crap in a lot of the other forums.
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    By far my favorite are the photos of food in ride reports, that is right after all the retards showing their IQ of "1".
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yean and the guys who try to rationalize not paying for the TAT tracks or the arguments over what is the best bike to get plus a few others I don't have the nerve to mention.

I guess this is getting off topic too.
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention the guys who have only owned 1 GPS and then advise others that it is the best model available for all uses.
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down, that just takes time and caution? I want to see a report about going up! I want to go east anyway.

In the 70s Langley and I went down a long abandoned trail in the Piutes used by the Greenhorn in the 60s. They called it "The Elevator Shaft" back then. There were switchback backs then but we couldn't find them. There was old trail and new trail but neither had been used for years. What does Google show?

Attached Files:

19. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    In some places it's a very clear single track. In other places there's no trail visible (sometimes the bushes and trees hide what's below). Most of the visible parts have clearly been ridden in recent times.
  20. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Next CORE Club ride to Bar 10 is slated for early Oct:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26957987&postcount=81