1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Greg@RME, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again? Spending an awful lot of time on those spiffy kind of bikes.
    Colorado970 likes this.
  2. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same bike. Annual service. It is one of those days where I feel like a professional dirt biker, because I get paid while I wait on the bike to be serviced, so might as well ride. Are you around? Can I flip off your boss again?
    Colorado970 likes this.
  3. Colorado Uli

Oddometer:
    Fantastic offer. You really do a nice job of it. :lol2
    Enjoy the nice day on the bike.

I'm dreaming of the day when the snow and mud are a thing of the past and I can play on the 500 in the woods again.
  4. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Peach Valley has been in great shape. Lower Spring Creek trail off the Dave Wood road was in good shape 2 weeks ago. The higher stuff on the plateau was still holding snow, but it is getting closer.
  5. Colorado Uli

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I need some aspens and cool dark timber trails.
    nwcolorider likes this.
  6. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Then patience is a virtue..
    Lower spring creek has good tree coverage. Its becoming my favorite local trail. Thunder Trails in Norwood has good tree cover as well and is clear.
  7. snowmark

snowmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek Canyon Colorado/Longmont/Youngstown,OH
    I'm wandering around the area van camping with a plated klx400 in tow...anyone wanna ride...hopefully where it's not too hot..text me 303-808-8698
  8. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF dude, you think of Advrider before me?:cry
  9. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry man. At least you didn't miss anything. The new trails above the bookcliffs were crowded since we ran into Dan from the BLM doing trail work, and then we saw 2 mtn bikers on Sarlacc. We made do though.
    I will be more diligent in contacting you for more endeavors and Peach Valley days.
    mylsmkj likes this.
  10. Rossmoesis

Rossmoesis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Good riding with you Trevor. I know seeing three people on the trails over 30ish miles is a western slope problem. Way too crowded :1drink. Everybody should move to the front range.

If anybody is free to help out the BLM put the finishing touches on the new single track on the bookcliffs this Sunday June 9th. Please come out and help. The trails are so new they don't even have a name yet. Any good names?

Here is repost from Bookcliff rattlers website

blm.JPG
    MountainsandRivers likes this.
  11. Gargantuan

Gargantuan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, everyone. Not sure if this is the right thread to post this but figured I'd give it a shot. I'm staying in Glenwood Springs MTW nights every week for an internship/some part-time work. Wasn't able to find an affordable place so I'm camping out every night - sometimes on the motorcycle, sometimes in my car. If anyone has some recommendations as to some good dirt roads in the area to check out (loaded 1200GS, intermediate skill level) as well as good dispersed camping that is as close to town as possible, that would be awesome!
  12. Donttrustdolphins

Donttrustdolphins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4 mile road (Road 117) above Sunlight Mountain Resort is all public land and has a pretty great dirt road/trail that connects to Silt. Could still be a bit of mud but I bet it is pretty much free by now. Really nice area.
    Gargantuan likes this.
  13. Donttrustdolphins

Oddometer:
    I have the gpx for it if you want it.
  14. Rossmoesis

Rossmoesis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know a good place in the Grand Junction area to service a rear shock on a 2013 ktm 300xcw?
  15. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    I've heard lots of good reports for Greg Huffer at Factory Suspension Works in Montrose
    Patj551, enduro-ince and Rossmoesis like this.
  16. Gargantuan

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Would it be reasonable to find decent dispersed camping up there that isn't too far down the road? Looking to stay as close to town as I can, ideally, but also want to make sure I can get a good spot.
  17. Donttrustdolphins

Oddometer:
    Great dispersed camping all over, it really opens up past the snowmobile rental place. Still going to be 10+ miles from town though. Another option would be north of Red Canyon Road (CR 115). A bit closer to town (or at least no further) and also great dispersed camping. There are also good spots scattered around up on Transfer Trail, which is directly adjacent to town. some pretty steep sections, but passable in a stock pickup. Views are ridiculous up there. Public land extends in all directions further from town as well. Here's a general idea of the areas I am talking about (these areas are by no means exact, totally generalized):

gwood.png

Here's the view from a dispersed site with a fire ring about 3-4 miles up Transfer Trail:

gwood1.jpeg
  18. Donttrustdolphins

Oddometer:
    Sorry forgot to reply to the comment with the above message.
  19. Gargantuan

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for all of the information! Transfer Trail looks like it could be a good option. Obviously this sort of thing is tough to say (skill level, tires, etc), but would an intermediate rider on a loaded 1200GS be able to get to a site like that would you say? For reference I've done Engineer, Corkscrew, Hurricane, etc (but not Black Bear or Imogene) multiple times on the GS.
  20. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting to explore routes to/from Moab and Gateway. Monday June 24, I plan on leaving GJ riding down 141 south of Gateway then jumping on Rimrocker trail to Moab. I plan on returning via John Brown road. I've never ridden either of these routes. I have Rimrocker GPS tracks and DeLorme Benchmark maps for both UT and CO. I'll be riding my Husqvarna 701E. When I'm scouting rides, I like to ride at a moderate pace and I enjoy stopping for pictures. But I have been told my "moderate pace" is pretty fast. Rimrocker looks to be intermediate or better (on big bike) and John Brown seems to be mellow. If you're a capable rider and interested in joining me please msg me. Pat
    Ozzie likes this.