1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Gravel Cornering....How do you do it?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Kempy

Kempy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good topic - the DR650 was easier to ride sitting down the WRR is way better standing, chasing Bart was entertaining who was always fast on a cheap skinny Chinese tire but heaps of skill. Lighter is easier to cross the middle soft section so easier to cut corners and be smoother, and looking way ahead around corners or picking the berm on the outside centre of a right handed can help emensely but then you have to cross the soft centre which can be hair raising on a heavy bike.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    A very interesting discussion. I find gravel is more fun in general whatever the speed. Smoother round corners is a good goal.
  3. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its not so bad on a heavy bike as long as you wind on the throttle a bit as you hit the thick stuff it helps to lighten the front end and steady the bike.
    Reading the road and smooth right wrist. Steady as she goes.
    WR
  4. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you mean you have a 2012 Tiger???
    I have the 2013 xr & it's actually all l need for my style of riding (it did come with xcx spoked wheels & tires from the previous owner but they have never been fitted by either of us!)
    One of the videos of the guy with the beard did make the new Tiger XC look VERY tempting though, but the long & short is that l would never use the bike to it's full capabilities, because A/ l'm too old & fragile, & B/ I don't have a beard!!!! :lol3
    cold comfort likes this.
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep....2012 XC....a white one

A 2018 would be nice but I can't justify the cost and hassle of selling and setting it up. As I said my 12 ticks most of my boxes and is still the most comfortable bike I've owned. Like you I'm not getting younger plus I have some souvenirs from previous mishaps (both on KTM's :fpalm:fpalm) that could still curtail my riding any time.....hence the how to ride better/safer theme of this thread

ain't she purdy :raabia
    IMG_0891.JPG
    Mc107 and EVLED like this.
  6. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike contributes to a lot, my R100GS is very stable on gravel sitting or standing, however when the old man had his 1200GS you had to stand to get weight on the front wheel to turn it. Then you just use the throttle more to make the arse end come into line. Fun when you get the hang of it but you never end up really going that fast, just makes it more enjoyable. Time to check out the scenery
    Night Falcon likes this.
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    used to ride my 990 like that, great fun, replacing 150/18 rear tires frequently soon gets a tad old though
    Kiwiabbo likes this.
  8. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She is purdy for sure, & the colour is perfect, except they do your Tiger logo in blue & our US logo in orange...how weird....like the tail bag, great idea!!! :lol3

IMG_20170502_132902.jpg
    Night Falcon likes this.
  9. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Pondering this thread, I am no longer of an age to give meaningful advise - but, y'know...once upon a time....I might have been fast. In the '70's, gravel was everywhere, it's what I rode on, and I rode WOT everywhere, no matter what the bike. I don't know if I was fast, but no one could keep up. Anyway, what I most remember, I never, ever thought about the front end, I just nailed the throttle, and the bike went where my eyes were looking, that was the extent of my skills.

Contrast that to the 21st Century, and it seems my whole time on gravel roads is worrying about that front end ! I now know much more about how to ride than my younger self...he was an ignorant little shit, but a lot faster on gravel than the more experienced older version. Maybe the roads have changed, any excuse for incompetence.
    cold comfort, Kempy and Night Falcon like this.
  10. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kenny Snr said ' You'll never lose the front if you stay on the gas '.
    Clearly I don't have his balls.
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Kenny Snr obviously wasn't familiar with the "exception to every rule" maxim. Although the "if in doubt ring it out" rule saved my bacon on the odd occasion :D
  12. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    obviously no ones told marquez this
  13. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kenny Snr sure knew what he was talking about, didn't he race a TZ 750 on the dirt in USA (until it was banned)?
  14. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I find this thread very interesting. I have been riding for 40 or so years and are self taught. The reason I raise that is when my I got my son his first bike I paid for him to get some instruction. He joined a whole group of other kids at the MX park in Taupo and had a weekend of instruction, he was told things that I had never thought about. I wonder how many of you have had any sort of ride training?

This thread is about gravel but what about tar seal corner speed...
  15. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to sidetrack things but I think MM loses the front end going into the turn, as he approaches max lean the tyre runs out of grip & tucks . Hard to tell but I think it happens before he is on the gas

On the Gas
    [​IMG]
    Night Falcon likes this.
  16. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Funny, cos I was thinking along the same lines and I cannot remember ever thinking about the front end back in the 80s. In fact front tyres were hardly even thought about. Funny how times change.
    Voltaire likes this.
  17. Th4tguy

Th4tguy Kyle

Oddometer:
    Practice, practice, practice is the correct advice IMO. Practice what? Being comfortable with the bike moving around. Think of riding on gravel as an exercise in balance, balancing horizontal slip while braking and accelerating. Think of having the bike dance on gravel, consistently moving around.
    Once your comfortable, fast is smooth. Increase speed without extra effort.
    Could take a couple of years to get good.
    Standing or seated, foot out or on pegs, is a matter of personal preference. Suspension setttings or tyre choice is 5% stuff. Work on skills first.
    bikemoto, pigjockey, dazzadm and 2 others like this.
  18. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    I did a Ride Forever Gold Course few months ago. Learnt heaps, great course.
    young1 likes this.
  19. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I've done a few ART days at Pukekohe and 4 California Superbike School levels at Hampton Downs and Taupo. Lot of theory that I never really gave much thought to. Some of it you do anyway but knowing why means you can add or reduce input.
    I found it accelerated the learning curve as opposed to trial and error. Worth the money.

Track lessons are good for the track and to some extent the road but you can't treat the road the same as conditions are more variable and there is oncoming traffic and other road furniture/hazards to contend with.
    In my youth I had a nearly new Z1000 but never gave much thought to shocks, fork settings, tyre types/pressures and so on....just rode the thing.
    Now I ponder over sag,static sag, air pressures, shock types, fork valving, corner speed, counter steering, position on seat and so on.
    cold comfort and young1 like this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    i blame the internets. Seriously. Ignorance was bliss.
    Kempy and Voltaire like this.