Gravel Cornering....How do you do it?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Aug 29, 2018.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    :evil ...and an MX track & an enduro loop? :wink:

They're hauling the neighbour's logs out through the old metal pit at present but by summer we'd be good to go.

Cheers
    Clint
    NZnic, Box'a'bits and Night Falcon like this.
  2. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Gravel sucks, especially New Zealand gravel grrrrrrrrrrrr
  3. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    So does Aussie Bulldust ;)
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. xrjuice

xrjuice n00b

Oddometer:
    if youre in the southern wairarapa then parera rd is a great place to practice, smooth even surface, nice uniform gravel, not too big or small, lomg sweeping corners with plenty of visibility. just keep the drifting to a minimum so as not to upset the locals.
  5. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. Have to put some thought into this. There's probably a lot of slow speed bike handling skills that we could play with that translate through to higher speed cornering etc.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  6. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Well here's a thought. If enough of us decided to chip in we could probably hire Mr Birch or his gravel-cornering equivalent and set up a training day in the middle of the North Island somewhere. We can write the brief so we get what we want out of it.

I would definitely be a starter for something like that.
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  8. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Or just point your bike at something that you think is impossible to ride and see what happens. Learning will happen.
  9. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B.L.A.T then braaaapppppppp
  10. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't underestimate Phreaky Phils credentials on this subject
    WR
    NZnic likes this.
  11. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And has that always worked for you Colin :jack:rofl:imaposer
    I wish it was that easy.
    WR
    Micawberism likes this.
  12. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks Gerard :-)
    I was thinking it would be great if we could get someone who really knows what they're doing.
    I wonder what Birchys hourly rate is. ?
    On the Naki ride our TEC was a past NZ#1 trials champ. Skills are the same even if the bike was an extra 150kg.
    Never been to a Birch'y training day. Not sure if he carries a pillion at any stage or if there's a pillion brave enough.
    Maybe put Dawn on the back of his KTM so he can try carrying a pillion !!!! :hmmmmm :fpalm
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread :clap. I believe, as some have observed, that confidence plays a great part here; bottle out halfway through a corner and throttle off and the bike will run wide...… Happened to me the other week, (actually it happens regularly :D), I came around a dirt/gravel corner I thought I knew, to be confronted with a huge wet clayey patch (water had been over the road). I tried to scrub off some speed but only succeeded in starting to run wide.

Now, my current approach to this has been learnt through trial and error, do I - stand the bike up and brake, nope, the bike will lose traction and I will spear off into the bush, do I - keep scrubbing speed off, nope, I'll keep running wide and end up in the wet ditch), do I - gas it - Yep, just enough to either spin the wheel, with the benefit of me ending up facing in the direction I need to be, or to drive me through the corner better by correcting the understeer. Trouble is it feels so counter intuitive at the time, but it works for me....

Re drifting around corners, it took me a while, but I now feel relatively comfortable going around a corner with the rear wheel spinning slightly, it feels predictable and I am controlling how the bike is responding, rather than waiting to react to something untoward starting to happen. I learnt by getting the wheel spinning early in the corner, before the apex and using the throttle to help steer the bike the way I need to go. I've found if I get too far forward the bike can break away more quickly (un predictably?), so it's a fine balancing act to find the sweet spot. If it goes pear shaped I stand up and as someone has already said, kiss the outside wing mirror (weight out over the tyres, with a front bias I suppose?) and apply the gas....

I also think tyres play a great part here. Motoz Adventures break traction too easily for me , I don't think they have enough side grip (and can feel unpredictable), whereas Dunlop D606's work great for me, with a 90/90 x 21 Scorpion Rally on the front.

I reckon that the bikes we ride are often a lot more capable than we give them credit for and their ultimate cornering limits are probably higher that we are comfortable riding, so we react fearfully and stuff things up....

Of course, I could be talking crap...…….
    bart-nz, EVLED, Night Falcon and 2 others like this.
  14. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used a couple of those scopion rally fronts but can't buy them here in NZ. Had to get them from your side of the ditch.
  15. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
    Chiming in with my two cents… coming into the corner, cut your line and get on the gas sooner than what you think.

Caution: watch the throttle on the way out of the corner, you may find the front wheel ‘unintentionally’ lifts :augie

16. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    Hasn't always worked for me, nor always for the fella just in front of me. I have however perfected the art of landing on my head :p3rry
  17. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    dont want to turn this into another tire thread but.......I didn't like the E07 front on the tiger on the slippery bits at all (refer water table excursion mentioned earlier) I used to run MT21's on the 690 but they had a bad uneven wear habit. Its the frustrating thing with ADV riding - there's always compromise. When I looked at what some others were using (basically road tires) I thought to my self....harden up ya plonker :loco
  18. Micawberism

Oddometer:
    All the theory and knowledge in the world is wonderful. However an idiot with knowledge will never beat an idiot with skills and natural abilities.
    I cant play a musical instrument. Some people can. That's life.
    Forget the cock waving contests and ride your own ride, at the speed you feel most comfortable with. Admire those with greater skills than your own and laugh at your own mistakes and with others when they are laughing at theirs.
    Don't take yourself too seriously and have fun seems to work for me.
    Above all remember this simple thing, its only a race if your winning. :clap
  19. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldnt play a musical intrument either......until I bought one, took some lessons to get me started and practiced practiced practiced - I'll never be Eric Clapton but I play a pretty mean "Smoke on the Water"
    Adrian V and Phreaky Phil like this.
  20. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snap!